main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    I thought the Marvel comics were canon, save a few exceptions . . ?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    And Blackmyron...

Canon is a make-believe bit of silliness when it doesn't apply to religious law.

There is no "True Story" of what happened to Luke, Han, and Leia.

As DC comics used to say,. "This is an imaginary story but then again, aren't they all?"

Edit:

But yes, I like the NJO and I enjoyed Legacy but I'd *HATE* them if I believed I had to accept that Cade/Krayt is what REALLY happened to the Skywalker legacy.

3. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    If Marvel takes over the Star Wars comics line, will Dead Pool become the keeper of Star Wars Continuity and Canon?

:p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If Lucasbooks gets words of a full reboot come 2014... if they don't go balls-out for their last in-continuity stories (like, say, the passing of Luke), it'll be wasted opportunity.

The full irony of some people's reactions... if the sequel trilogy is based on an outline by Lucas, then those cheering the "loss" of Dark Empire might just be replacing it with a whole film trilogy, ha.

Master_Keralys and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I have to wonder, if this does end up steamrolling all post ROTJ canon, will Star Wars and wookieepedia go the way of the separate universe, or will everything it replaces be shrugged under the rug? Alternate universes would be much preferred.

I mean, Star Wars has always been a cash cow franchise, and I suppose I have no right to be annoyed that it's going to be a "churn one out every few years" franchise that will milked until it begs for a swift and merciful death... but I am.

What is known about that outline? I don't know very much about the behind the scenes stuff of the SW movies.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Disney will do whatever Disney wants.

In all likelihood, it'll hire Joss Whedon to do the trilogy and Pixar for the cartoons.

That's the fun of it.

Ahsoka will have her own Disney ride as market-testing groups try and rectify the imbalance between girls and boys.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Regarding continuity:http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/10/30/on-the-brink-of-the-future/

[O]n June 29, 2012, I found out. I was called into a meeting to discuss, oh, something or other about updating future messaging for Lucasfilm. In order for me to get a better grasp of what that future entailed, my boss just sprang the news on me that, and I quote, “We’re making seven, eight and nine.” He didn’t say Star Wars. He didn’t have to. Why else would those numbers have any relevance?​

[...]​

In short order, I met with some of Kathleen Kennedy’s key staffers who were now aboard with Lucasfilm. I introduced myself to her expanding story development team, and offered what insight I could given my long history with Star Wars and my deep knowledge of the saga. I’ve been fortunate to become known as one of the guys who knows Star Wars inside and out within the company. As George Lucas began preparing his treatments for future films, I’d get random requests for research from his office, and helped prepare documents, primers and writer guides for the next generation of Star Wars filmmakers, whoever they may be." -Pablo Hidalgo​

8. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I had to reply to this becuase I agree with you on this. I still enjoy all the stories and would never consider putting it in the trash. It is still as special as it was in the begining. Imagine, would I throw away the LOE novel along with the comic book of Obession and the micro series just becuase of the new clone wars stuff? Not on your life and in fact, I catch myself reading that novel once every 5 to 6 months. I watch the micro minis almost every other month give or take a few. Nothing changes for me.

TychoCorde likes this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Perhaps I'm being too black and white here, but I definitely feel they should go one way or the other in regards to continuity. Follow it, or give it all the middle finger and start anew. Having the films occupy their own timeline would be okay with me- basically extended infinities. Of course, that starts a rather large snowball effect when all the tie-in merchandise has to follow this new universe... maybe writers would still want to revisit the old timeline after a few years? A break could be just the thing it needs, to be honest.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  10. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Or, if you read between the lines "YAY, I STILL HAVE A JOB!"

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Agree completely. I think Whedon could knock these out the park. The Avengers even has the sort of STar Wars quality about it. However, I doubt it'll happen since he'd be deep into Avengers 2.

Master_Keralys likes this.
  12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ya know... I've always kind of wanted an Episode VII.

In fact... I've always kind of wanted an Episode VII that's neither written nor directed by George Lucas.

And let's be optimistic here, people --- this will probably steamroll The Clone Wars just as much as the rest of the EU. :D

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, who bets Darth Maul and Mortis will appear?

14. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope and assume, that if the new movies will contradict with the current Expanded Universe, we will be getting several alternate universes with seperate canons.

100 Republic Credits.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    A direct sequel to the OT, with Ahsoka as protagonist? Featuring the triumphant re-return of the seriously pissed off head of Darth Maul?

Because convolution is always a good thing...

16. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Oh thank god, Pablo Hidalgo.

I'm too relieved to even crack a joke about him being our only hope...

(And yeah, I figure that it'll still probably be continuity a la TCW, but that's better than I'd feared and...I honestly WANT to be excited about this.)

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Between that, Iger's comments, and Kennedy's comments, I think peolpe ought to settle down on the panic attacks :p

18. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm sure this has been said at one point in this thread...

But I ask, nay, demand a six film adaptation of the Jedi Prince series.

19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Always with the cranial superiority...

When is the Headless Count going to get some love? Are lower body parts not deserving of equal rights?

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
  21. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Why? What do we base our trust in them off of? A few vague statements? I think we can vent a little concern before we're directly addressed.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So when do we get the 2D Princess Leia film?
    [​IMG]

23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh Nice.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, canon and continuity are what truly defines a living, breathing universe. It's what sets apart authors like Tolkien or Martin - a good story is essential, yes, but when there's nothing behind it, you're making the foundation of your story on sand.

Well I always tie that quote to Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel?" - and as LoEG attests, he's the antithesis of what you're stating.
    Besides, apart from the three Long Halloween books I don't waste my time or money on DC for the very reasons we're discussing here.

I don't expect everyone to share my love of Star Wars in the same way. But what defined the movies for me when I was a child was that there was the sense that there was really a whole galaxy out there, not a handful of planetary set-pieces that is so common in sci-fi. The cantina was full of aliens of a weird and wonderful variety. It captured my imagination - who built those pyramids on Yavin 4? What was the Clone Wars? What was the story of General Dodonna? Post-ROTJ, Lucas was more interested in exploring the tedious world of the Ewoks rather than, say, following the story of the post-Endor galaxy and SW and I parted ways. Years later, WEG and Stackpole brought me back in, and that's why I'm here now.
    Like I said, if worse comes to worse I have a diverse set of interests to be obsessed about, and if I left Star Wars the void would be quickly filled. But I'd rather not have it come to that.

Abadacus likes this.
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's actually an amazing idea for a supervillain team. Trioculus can be the brains of the group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.