main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, they need more creative names like Luke and Ben.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    or Leia, Han, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Mace, Wedge

i've just always cringed a little at "Jaina" as a name.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Zor's point stands. The suggestion that "Jaina" and "Ben" somehow aren't Star Warsy enough for Star Wars is daft, when the OT gave us "Luke", "Ben" and "Owen".

We do, however, need a "Highsinger". It's one of the few surnames from the early drafts that never made its way into the films or... oh, apparently it did find its way into TCW. Well. Huh.

4. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    yeah i agree, it's more of a personal issue i have with the name "Jaina" tbh
    It just sucks

I kind of hope we see someone new like "Lierra Skywalker" or something

5. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Was unsure where to put this, so please let me know if I'm in the wrong.

Blue Sky Disney is reporting that the comics will be moving to Marvel. Comicsbeat reported it as well, based on Blue Sky.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not that that isn't logical, but the only thing I trust less than an anonymous source is no source. Especially the same week that we got "fans said the Yavin Academy will be in the movie" articles.

That said, I know nothing about that Blue Sky site, or what kind of contacts they might have.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If nothing else, at least Dark Horse will be going out on a bang with the new Legacy series, so hopefully if the sales are good it'll encourage Marvel to keep it going and/or at least replicate it with similar types of series, not just EP7 tie-ins.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Call of Duty is a geek franchise? I thought it was populated by college meat heads and drunk high school students :p

TrakNar, blackmyron and Zorrixor like this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    I WILL NOT LOOSE DARK HORSE :mad:

if that rumor is true, then they do not care for the EU, not even involve the license holders who plan ahead and have to scrap series like the new Legacy before they really started. Same for open ended Dawn of the Jedi and others then.

And here we thought they care about the EU and agreed to the new Legacy series as a sign of hope for the EU?

of course we all feared/predicted this to happen... but I still hate it. One more nail in Star Wars' coffin that turns to quantity and money over quality.

What's next? FFG? will they ever produce EU stuff or sourcebooks about EU?

Loosing Darkhorse is like loosing Hasbro for collectors.

10. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
  11. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174169-comics-star-wars-license-coming-to-marvel-in-2014

I've sad to see this, but it is very expected. I doubt they're going to migrate people like Randy over to Marvel, so it is a huge loss for the community. Randy and the DH people are the most approachable creators out there, and its sad to see them exit the scene.

Honestly, this could be something that drives DH into bancrupcy or at least severe downsizing. Isn't SW a significant portion of their sales?

12. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Yeah I'd love for this to be a wrong rumour, but I have a sinking feeling it's not. Bleeding Cool, while a hive of scum and villainy, have a pretty good reputation for broad accuracy and assessing rumours. They'll report anything, but tend to point out when they think it's likely full of shavit. For instance the original BC reporting of the Jedi Academy rumour was very sceptical, while this is reported with reference to Blue Sky Disney as a "rather reliable" source.

If it's true that absolutely blows, though. No chance for a fifty issue run for the new Legacy (CeiranHarmony - I don't think that they'd cancel it; they've got a lot to lose and nothing to gain by doing that, they'll just run it for 25 issues until their contract runs out), and I think I and several others already pointed out on this thread that unless we see a chance in policy, if you don't buy your trade paperbacks quickly, you're screwed, and good luck ever seeing anything like the Omnibus project.

I'm assuming (praying?) that much like the Bantam/Del Rey switch, DH will retain the rights to republishing all their previous Star Wars material, including the old Marvel Comics that they purchased the rights to, and will at least complete the Omnibus project through 2015, or whenever they finally lose the license. If that is, indeed, happening. I still hope against hope that it's not.

13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I think a possible " I told you so" is in order. :) also it's not u heard of for a comic in one company to continue in another. So there is hope for possible continuation of the new series that DH has created to continue in marvel. Likely? Probably not, but possible. ESG.......will we accept the news as likely true, or just a rumor? Either way I hope you have the sense to actually see the turn over as a high possibility.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, if only we all had as much sense as you, Mane. :rolleyes:

In any event, SHH and BC are both just going off Blue Sky's article, so that doesn't make anything more certain than it was this morning. I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm saying that I think we should follow Dunc's advice and not waste our time fretting about things that aren't confirmed yet. In the meantime--hey guys, I heard from someone "in the know" that Ben Skywalker will be a dianoga in the new movies. I for one find this a bold new step towards positive diversity in the saga and can't wait for the wedding.

15. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    When Joss Whedon's Angel transferred from IDW back to Dark Horse, I think a number of plot points were carried over to the new publisher too.

DarthMane2 likes this.
  16. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

true though with cancelling I rather thought about DelRey and their novel plans wondering if Disney got something to replace them too.. do you think Dark Horse might up their number of monthly released comics for a blaze of glory ending to double their output for the fans?

as for Marvel.. I hope their art and story teams are superior to what they had been back then.. I like the old Marvel comics, but they can't compare in quality to Dark Horse!

17. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I'm not really sure why, since most people were either expressing their hope that it wouldn't happen or their opinion that it wasn't a foregone conclusion, not that the notion was patently absurd. It obviously wasn't, or we wouldn't have been discussing it.

As to comics continuing under a different publisher, that's a mixed blessing. It could be a straight-up continuation with the same creative teams given relative editorial freedom, or it could be a commercial decision to cash in on a known title while trying to stamp a new style onto it.

In broad terms, I'm not a fan of Marvel's storytelling style, but who knows how much that would infiltrate licensed stuff.

Foltliss likes this.
  18. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    yay, dianoga... and dianogal!
    [​IMG]

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    If this ends up being true, I'll be really sad to see DHC lose the license. I've been a practically comic-only EU fan for years, so these news leave me worried.

That said, it's been a long time since we last saw Marvel publish any major licensed property, other than the fantastic Dark Tower comics. So... it could be interesting.

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    ps: not just shooting down Marvel.. they do great stuff.. thing is, it is UNFAIR to Dark Horse for one, and unneccessary to boot to ruin a running success for a potential new running success.

Essentially I am worried about the future of SW but more so about how they treat fans and people working for them like authors, artists etc. which was not optimal in the past but looks worse in the future even!

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Thanks Coop. :)

and please refer to me by my Christian board name, NUKE.

22. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Just out of curiosity, will Disney also own/control these forums?

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    These forums have nothing to do with the Star Wars property. TFN is entirely fan-owned and operated.

Meanwhile, from Randy...
    Yodazone's post: "Who is blueskyDisney? One random blog entry with no reliable links and it's being posted everywhere on the net."

Zeta1127, TrakNar, blackmyron and 3 others like this.
  24. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    It's business. No one cares about what's fair.

Personally i couldn't care less, i don't read the comics anyway.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well.. then why post here? nobody cares for such a reply ;)

as for "it's business"... business sucks, shoots itself in the foot too often (Hello Lehman Brothers Bank) and usually is not even optimal for itself. so no thx, I'd not like to support suicidal company strategies [face_talk_hand]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.