main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    One of the things I appreciated about the Abrams Trek was that it actually pulled in a few things from the Trek "EU" (Uhura and George Kirk's names, the Kobayashi Maru design, a few other things that slip my mind now).

Obviously this was the work of the screenwriters and not Abrams himself, but still...I'm daring to let myself irrationally hope that this might, somehow, influence even a few EU things being used in VII.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    10 Jedi (and some other people) crash on a moon or is it a space station or is it... a Monolith...

MORTIS[​IMG]

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I think we are safe, since the majority of Star Trek takes place on a bridge of a space ship, you have to lens flare to keep the audience attention... "Hey don't fall asleep, we are still here"

Unless Episode 7 is Admiral Ackbar's command story we won't see too much lense flare

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_laugh] at BC's icon. I have a feeling stuff like that is gonna pop up a lot in the next few days.

5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Isn't he the one that tweeted that he would love to see a trilogy based around the NJO? Or am I getting my potential directors mixed up?

6. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    That would be Joss Whedon, not JJ Abrams.

7. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Oops. Yep. Potential director mix-up. Sorry. No Credits for me. ;)

8. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    The same guy directing both Star Trek and Star Wars? Isn't this a sign of the end times? This is either gonna be the catalyst to get everyone to lay down their arms, allowing peace to reign for a millenia. Or this will spark World War III, which will lead to the end of all mankind.

If Futurama is any indication, the latter is probably closer to the truth. [face_thinking]

Zorrixor and Sinrebirth like this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I really hope this thread doesn't flare up due to the announcement.

Esg, Zorrixor and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    With all the EU haters? THat would upset me too

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I read an interview with the ST writers specifically about their favorite ST novels. Those guys were fans of the ST EU so...course they were only the writers.

12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    They're all too busy eating each other alive in the EVII threads, and calling Star Wars "a boy thing".

RC-1991 and CooperTFN like this.
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    We need to fortify before they arrive in force, after the JJ Basher have went through the Stages of Acceptance

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Episode VII: A New Waru
    Episode VIII: Attack of the Warus
    Episode IX: Return of San Hill*

* What, were you expecting a third Waru title? :p

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Surprise ending: San Hill was Waru the whole time!!

After digesting for a bit, my personal canon is thus: they offered it to Abrams before, he said no, they told him he could jettison the Lucas outline, he said yes.

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Jettison the Lucas Outline?

17. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I couldn't be happier. So I'm guessing the majority of the fans must be depressed.

18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I enjoyed Star Trek, but then I'm not particularly into Star Trek, so it was just another sci-fi flick to me, which it did okay at, so any continuity pros or cons went entirely over the top of my head.

One thing this does lean me toward thinking, though, is how I'd be very surprised if Abrams wanted to direct another sci-fi movie about another time travel plotline.

Still doesn't tell us anything about the EU's fate, but at least we can rule out a wormhole.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    If Orci and Kurtzman get involved, being the king nerds that they are, maybe that would be beneficial for the EU in some way.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  20. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I know what you mean. I'm afraid to post much over there. If they find out I like the EU, I'd have to move again.

Jedi_Glover and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol

I theoretically help run the place and I still have no idea what's going on over there. It's a bit like staring in the face of madness.

fistofan1 and Zorrixor like this.
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't really avoid it so much as I've barely even inculcated its existence. The JCs are Lit as far as I'm concerned.

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    JCs? Jedi Council?

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    So like Kit Fisto and the rest... I guess if you are a film purist, if they aren't named or given backstory or even species within the film, you like the green amphibious Jedi right?

If you like Shaak Ti, you like the red white and blue, twi'lek looking Jedi right?

But if you don't accept anything outside of the films, then the Jedi in PT are ObiWan Anakin Yoda Mace and Ki Adi Mundi, with the rest being just back ground, even though Fisto, Secura, Ti and the rest are reoccurring.

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Is it better or worse than the madness that voted me Most Spirited? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.