main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm not sure we are needed in this discussion anymore.

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd follow a thread where Ulicus carries a conversation with himself. At least until the first awkward silence hits.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Afraid of happening? They've sold t-shirts with Vader on the Dumbo Ride at Star Tours for years now.

Vader: "I'm on the leader."

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    In the words of Luke Skywalker: THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!
    I've always enjoyed stories like that as well, but being done well is indeed the catch, as often direct tie-ins are derivative works at their very worst (TOR novels, I'm looking at you).

In the long run, I also feel it is a guaranteed recipe for the abandonment of a singular universe, as when you start cramming ever more stories into the same timeframe, you end up with a TCW situation where worrying about "the" EU goes out the window and they just become spin-off stories without any intention of all neatly meshing together into one expanded universe. Even the history of the OT shows how much of Marvel has been superseded, so if all you end up with is extra padding directly around the movies, you're destined to end up with all characters ending up like Boba Fett, with their history rewritten repeatedly over the years.

The stories can still be enjoyable, but it's why I'm very hesitant about there being an "expanded universe" after the ST in the same form as the current one as for every Star Wood that works to fit itself in with minimal conflicts you'll get a Ryloth that doesn't rotate.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I really feel like as EU fans, it's hard for us to trust our instincts on this kinda thing--yeah, Ryloth rotated, but that was the Creator Himself reaching down from on high and specifically instructing the writers to do that. With him out of the picture there's no reason to assume future tie-in writers (or Michael Arndt, for that matter) won't be Brian Woods. We're like a puppy that was kicked by its previous owner and now expects everyone else to be the same way.

Come to that, the only precedent we have for SW even attempting to "lure" writers with an explicit promise of no continuity strings was Tales, and look how that turned out.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    ^^^ I saw this and giggled out loud, not quite a laugh, but a giggle....

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So... Old Wounds: The Movie?

RC-1991, HEDGESMFG, Ulicus and 4 others like this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Yup

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Obi-Wan/Maul dance party!!! [face_dancing]

[​IMG]

12. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    We have to wait for Ep7 spoilers to really begin speculation on EU relevancy. Then the zaniness can hit new heights.

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Am I a bad person for actually thinking that sounds like it could potentially be really cool? I promise I've thought worse things.

14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Obi-wan just defeated Han Solo in a popularity contest, and Ewan was one of just two actors who can walk away from the PT with his dignity intact, so I can certainly see them doing a spin off with him.

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Old Wounds or not, an Obi-Wan/Maul movie would at minimum suggest they do intend to keep at least TCW in canon.

16. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    Can't remember if this was mentioned already:

From an Q&A with JJ Abrams about the Star Trek movie:

Did the vast Trek canon help or hurt your work to make this film?

Abrams: Well, it was hugely helpful because it gave us parameters. We knew that within that framework we could create, explore, and experiment. It's actually nice when you're given a box.... when you're given parameters that you have to honor because it gives you limits and then you know that within those boundaries you can be creatively risky.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Nice to see he doesn't take the easy and exceptionally uncreative "oh noes, continuity ruins everything!!!" viewpoint

LawgSkrak and CeiranHarmony like this.
  18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so... when will they call the Disney purchase as longest prepared April Fools ever?

Zorrixor likes this.
  19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Read the very last past, "you can be creatively risky"

Let's face it, they will read everything thats out there, consult with GL and his story treatments that we know nothing of and go from there. From there, anything and everything can happen. So don't keep your hopes high that the EU will remian in tact and that they are going to leave things as they are or follow the established line.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I translate "creatively risky" as: Speculate all you like, no way are you going to work out what we'll be throwing at you!

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    no, but it means they can do what they like without following the perscribed timeline fanboy

22. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If the Han Solo spinoff movie is simply Han Solo at Stars End, then all would be forgiven.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    True as that is, an interesting thing the new original Star Wars story from DH could provide is an insight into Lucas's head, and from that potentially any loose ends or ideas he never got around to following up, that might in turn have made ther way into his sequel treatment.

Take Sith Knights. If we end up with lots of Sith in the ST, I'd not be at all shocked if they wanted to use that term.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Lucas Arts is offically dead.

1313 and Imperial Assualt are canceled.

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    you know they werent maiking good games anyway, will anyone be making star wars games in the future?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.