main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    the difference is he liked indy as a character. at best he's ambivalent about solo, at worst he hates the character. pretty big difference on that.

2. JStepp

JStepp Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 10, 2011

You know in your heart what is coming its Disney they are going to try and draw in the teens. Look for Justin Bieber to play an Emo sith.

[​IMG]
    But seriously guys you know they are going to try and sexify it for the younger generattion.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Imagine the glory of it. Like the Uber Crawl at the beginning of the early editions of DE.

"It has been 30 years since the defeat of the Emperor and the destruction of the second DEATH STAR. Luke Skywalker, tasked with the mission to revive the Jedi Order, has formed a small cadre of Knights and Padawans.

After the predations of alien Imperial Grand Admiral Thrawn, Luke was nearly lost to the dark side of the Force under the tutelage of Emperor Palpatine's mad clone. Han Solo and Princess Leia married and raised their three children to be trained by their uncle in the ways of the Force. As young apprentices they faced the invasion of the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong, whose contempt for technology and will to dominate all life has changed the face of the galaxy.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah, blood, blah blah blah blah, coralskippers, blah blah blah blah blah, Vergere, blah blah blah blah, Coruscant destroyed.

Yadda yadda yadda, Mara Jade Skywalker, yadda yadda yadda Luke's young son Ben Skywalker, along with the Solo children, must take the mantle of Jedi Knighthood and protect the fragile New Republic from the forces of the dark side..."

4. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    I agree that it would be, generally speaking, a poor business decision to completely invalidate all former EU...especially the ones that just came out and the ones that are still in print. The entire point of making new movies from a business perspective is to invigorate merchandising, not invalidate it all. What, are they gonna slap a "Now No Longer Exists!" sticker on the Thrawn Trilogy to advertise the new film? Ideally, they want the release of the new film to make people go and buy all their merchandise, not just the stuff directly associated with the film.

All things being equal, it makes the most business sense to do something that will keep at least a good deal of the EU intact, so that people will continue to buy it and will buy it more when the Sequel Trilogy is released. I am comforted by this fact, and also by the way in which the EU has been namedropped by GL and other people on this project, which indicates that they're aware of these things and are taking at least some care with them. So there is a chance that we're going to escape relatively unscathed.

Of course, that being said, we really don't know anything.

Esg and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i really wouldn't consider twilighting it up to be sexifying it in the slightest... i don't find anything to be sexy about that group of people. at all.

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Could be wishful thinking but by process of elimination the post-NJO-ish/Crucible-ish timeframe seems most likely:

I can't envision another movie without at least torch-passing cameos from the Big Four, which dictates many years after ROTJ. I can't envision recasting the roles for stories set a few years after ROTJ, and I can't see even Lucasfilm giving the Big Four actors the X3 Xavier/Magneto treatment for six hours of film. And I even more can't envision movies set soon after ROTJ without the Big Three (e.g. X-wing movies or Jedi Academy movies).

A literal one-to-one translation from real-world time to EU time yields 2015 = 36 ABY. If we're very lucky it will be post-Crucible, which is what, 40-plus ABY? and when the dust settles it will all fit together somehow.

Then again, it's equally likely that the setting will be completely out of left field--1000 years ABY or something we have no way of anticipating--and I'll just look back at this post and laugh at my naivete.

7. JStepp

Jun 10, 2011
    Of course your not the 15 year old they plan on marketing too.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Eh, I've seen conflicting statements regarding that, similar to Alec Guiness. I think, like Guiness, he's a bit sick of being constantly associated with the character, but has said he appreciates his role in his career. He even attended some big Star Wars event and spoke fondly of the character in the past few years. And of course, he almost certainly won't be starring, so it's less of a commitment.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    it'd be closer to 43-46 ABY unless i'm mistaken if it's post crucible.

10. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    let's just say i'd be very, very surprised if harrison ford is in this as more than a five minute cameo. at the absolute most.

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I wonder what the chances of getting Star Wars DTV animated features are with this? Like, they probably are going to go forward so they can at least put Hamill in the Obi-Wan/Yoda role.... so I'd like to get animated trilogies of both TTT and DE out of this deal.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Is Justin Bieber associated with emo now? God dammit.

*goes to listen to Sunny Day Real Estate*

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    no. i'm not. but passing up on the rather HUGE demographic of original fans, or hurting that, does not seem like a good idea to me.

14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Holy crap.

Why did I not even think about Lando?

Throw Billy Dee into this movie and I'll burn all my Legacy issues just to prove how on-board I am.

CooperTFN likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, I posted this in the JCC thread but it may be better here...

Which actress is best to play Jaina Solo?

Which actor is best to play Ben Skywalker?

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Based on the existing art? Jaina should be played by a shapeshifter.

17. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    It is if those fans can be traded up for a vast number of newer teens or causal consumers that aren't original fans or don't buy much outside of the films, games, and figures. Of course you're saying "well if you have casual consumers as opposed to fans how can you sell the books and stuff?" That's what you keep churning out movies for.....

18. JStepp

Jun 10, 2011
    I'm not sure there will even be a Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo or even a Mara Jade. Lucas is consulting and Lucas said Luke does not get married or have any children. Han and Lei may or may not have children, and those childrren may or may not have the names of Jaina, or Jacen or Anakin. For all we know they could have Bob Solo a used speeder salesman for a son in the new Universe.

19. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Maybe Zac Efron could do Ben if they took a bat to his face first.

JStepp likes this.
  20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    lucas very specifically mentioned the EU in at least one interview, and he had pablo look stuff up for him while doing the treatment for the new movies. i'm at least cautiously optimistic that they might use some of it.

21. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    First the NHL lockout, now this. (No one BETTER take away my X-Wing books, dammit!)

Ala Sonny Corleone?

[​IMG]

22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Jaina looks a lot like Natalie Portman in one of those pictures... for obvious reasons, of course.

23. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Will Leia be a Disney Princess now?

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_mischief]

25. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Leia has more emotion in that one picture than KStew in her whole life.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.