main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Only news of the shutdown so far. Got my info from IO9.

LA wasn't a profitable part of the investment, so their demise was long coming anyway. More than likely Disney will make games in house or sell it for someone else to make.

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Whoever makes the games: please revive the X-Wing/Tie Fighter franchise, and give us TFU III. kthanksbye

CeiranHarmony and MistrX like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Another one bites the dust........

RC-1991 likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    LucasArts will remain as a licensing entity, allowing third party designers to make games.... which is basically what's been happening for the past few years anyway, since LEC has been decidedly unable to actually make a decent game in ages.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I wonder if 1313 will be picked up, or if it's dead and buried? Was looking forward to that one. Then again, 1313 wasn't made in house, was it? What games did Lucasarts actually develop?

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, Lucasarts was long past it's prime, IMO. I obviously feel sad for those affected by layoffs. But, I really do think that Disney's approach to cleaning house and refreshing things will ultimately lead to a rebirth for Star Wars.

The one exception to this would be losing Dark Horse. I truly hope that Disney allows them to keep the license, given their fantastic track record for creating popular series.

***EDIT***

This articles seems to think that 1313 was canceled as well: http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

--Adm. Nick

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, LA have been franchising most stuff out in recent years, with the in-house stuff having been the really crap TCW tie-ins that nobody even remembers.

Admittedly, I think TFU was in-house, with just the ports outsourced to Krome if I recall correctly? But even TFU wasn't a huge success else they'd not have cancelled TFU3.

Frankly, I always used to feel LA's success came through their innovations back in the 90s, as they often were the first to do stuff and sold off the engines to other developers (unsure if they did that with the TFU physics engine?). But nowadays there's so many other developers who are just as skilled that LA's main selling point just doesn't exist anymore.

Kinda hope Disney outsource a new Monkey Quest game now though, as LA always wanted to keep their IPs in-house, so maybe we'll finally see some of their own creations revisited by another developer now.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I agree Nick; Disney's been cutting out the detritus and all the nonsense that Lucas never bothered with.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The one piece of detritus I hope they cut is Star Wars: The Battle of Hoth, the nextgen video game extravaganza that I'm sure someone at LucasArts had wanted to do for years. :p

11. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Oh god, how many times have we flown that snowspeeder?

KamSolusar and Malachi108 like this.
  12. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Or, in some games, gotten out of other vehicles to use snowspeeders against walkers?

I still hope that Disney picks one lucky inmate from the local psych ward to play Max in Disneyland. RIP, SCUMM.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I am looking forward to the game where we fly a snowspeeder down the the Death Star trench to trip the thermal exhaust port.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Great Scott, that was a long time coming. Good riddance.

On the other hand, I've always assigned the spirit of 90s Lucasarts to Telltale Games, so the legend lives on.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I love all the freaking out and vitriol on Disney from the casuals about all this. They don't realize that LucasArts management was why we never got a KOTOR3 or anything good in the last 10 years.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    What I really wanted was a return to the 90s glory days. It's really disappointing to see a publisher with such a great legacy essentially shut down. But since it seems it was damn near impossible to get LA working again, this is the next best thing. Hopefully they'll start licensing some good stuff finally instead of just refusing to make games.

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They also gave us the 90's. You can't chastise people for being somewhat bummed

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I can smell Marvel and I don't care what Randy says. Dark Horse is not part of Disney, Marvel is and if I were Disney, keep the story in house and recoup the $4.05 billion. Lucasanimation, Lucasarts, ILM, you watch Dark Horse is next by next year. Disney is now the true master now .

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, "they" didn't -- people who used to work for them did. I understand and agree with people being bummed about what LEC came to, but not people thinking that Disney is destroying Star Wars by making this move.

vong333 -- not only is that crazy and paranoid, but Disney JUST closed down an internal shop (LEC) to get more third party content. So how does this signal doing more stuff in house? Good grief, if you're going to be a conspiracy theorist and a negative nancy, can you at least be logically consistent?

edit: Also, Disney closing down ILM would be such a colossally stupid decision that it would probably fail the BJR in a shareholder derivative suit.......

20. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I think it's disappointing they can't manage to do anything with the remnants of LA. From a business standpoint I can understand Disney dropping it. But two things seem off here:

1) A lot of gamers, not just Star Wars fans, know of LucasArts. It's got history. The name alone is worth something.
    2) This was announced within a month of the TCW/Detours cancellation.

Disney must have known in advance that it would be cutting ties with these projects/companies. And yet they were the prime attractions at the conventions last year. So most of LFL (save maybe Lucas) weren't aware. Heck, Filoni was even bragging about the sunny future of TCW last winter.

So this all makes me very suspicious. I'm not surprised Disney shut down LA, but I'm surprised at how they did it and when they did it. Like TCW, it must have been planned well in advance before those in the company knew.

I'm pretty much ready to kiss Dark Horse's franchise goodbye at this point.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Jello, I wouldn't put much effort in trying to get Vong33 to not be a conspiracy theorist and/or logically consistent. It doesn't work.

22. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    LA getting demolished is for the best. It has been well over a decade since they released anything that was worth someone's time or money.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Someone ask Mr. Rep if they're gonna outsource Battlefront III too.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    As usual, the AV Club sums up my feelings on this better than I could myself:

Ooh, and Raven just released the source code for Jedi Outcast/Academy. We could be seeing some awesome mods down the line.

TheRedBlade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.