main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Consider, though, that 1313 was in development long before LucasArts would have even known there were going to be sequels, so its plot wouldn't have been about some uberarmy, and it seems unlikely the sequels would have been built off a premise that was tied to a previously-announced, soon-to-be-canned video game about Boba Fett, so I can't really see why "Level 1313" would ever even have entered their minds.

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

I like that Vong invasion idea ;)

and Palpatine is an old republic statesmen too.. so? :p

I imagine them both sipping some corellian brandy in the aftermath of Order66.. and Palpatine talks about the aliens opposed to him he needs to silence on coruscant as JarJar jokes about herding them all into a ghetto sector... one day later Invisec was born :p (much like LOTF where Ben suggests to burn Kashyyyk and Jacen goes through with it...)

as for Plagueis... ever after Coruscant in TPM JarJar was not the same... while before he was just clumsy.. afterwards he indeed was useful in battle and more lucky than he'd have been before needing Jedi protection! The Force at work there? JarJar as sequel antagonist hmm...

3. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm sure the Naboo Committee voted unanimously to award Jar Jar the Palpatine Prize for Peace during his successful term as Senator.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so 1313 was not about Boba Fett discovering Palpatines secret army of Spaarti grown clones in an underground hidden Cloner level... where Atha Prime lead the experiments on the next Phase of Troopers.. but something goes wrong and they are let loose... CLONE MADNESS 1313 style.. it could have been!

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, in football terms, if Jar Jar Binks is Jose Mourinho, who was his SW mentor?

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    All I've heard is "space western", which is enough to interest me. I hope it's good. I haven't touched the game, though, and haven't heard very good things.

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Well, the real problem here is that I don't know much about what was planned for 1313 so I don't know if that document contradicts it or not, so you may well have better information than me. But I'm also a little confused about exactly what you're saying here - I don't understand why the sequels come into this at all? Unless we're assuming that the animated series somehow ties into them? But I don't think we've got any evidence suggesting that's the case. The time period alone makes it difficult since Hamill, Fisher and Ford are all notably more than 15 years older than they were during ROTJ. We can certainly speculate that the cartoon may set up future plot elements (albeit on a long timescale), but I don't see why that means it couldn't also contain references to other SW works, such as 1313. As to why it would occur to them, well, they're a multimedia franchise and cross-promotion can work.

With regards to the video game, all I knew was that it was supposed to be atmospheric, cinematic, and set on the lower levels of Coruscant - I knew it had a bounty hunter as the protagonist, but not Boba Fett specifically. In that sense, I thought that referencing a character coming from Level 1313 or, having escaped some big event that had occurred in the game, would just be a background opportunity to create buzz, tie the world together, perhaps even solidify this new...shinier version of the EU we've gotten in TFU and TCW, etc. And that's pretty much as far as this document goes in its 1313 references.

I'm not sure that the sequels would play into this either way; they were probably developing both these properties before they knew about sequel movies. (EDIT: Hmm, actually strike that, they may not have been developing the cartoon if it's only in the pitch stages as of November, but I still feel the rest of the point holds). There's no reason the existence of sequels would mean it was suddenly a bad idea to create multimedia crossreferencing between a cartoon and a videogame. Now if the game is cancelled, while there's also the possibility that they'd still use the plot element if they liked it, it's also possible it'd get written out. But as you noted, this document apparently predates 1313's cancellation. And I'm confused as to why that makes the 1313 references more suspect.

Though hopefully this is redundant and you're right and it is fake. As I said, I'm just not seeing this specific reason as conclusive.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    the leak is a obvious hoax. 15 aby??? Mark Hamil can't pull off 30. and luke is not luke, he is " The Shade" cmon

9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Just cast Alec Baldwin again he made an awesome Shadow...

[​IMG]

oh we are talking about Star Wars :p

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    It's supposed to be animated isn't it . . .

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    19 ABY. Fifteen years after Jedi. its animated. I don't see a problem here

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Sorry if I'm going a little off topic here, but since I'm a comic book guy and don't read novels, can anyone tell me if (and how much) of the post ROTJ material is actually good? Would it be bad to erase it from canon with the ST? Or it would be pretty easy to make up a better story? I love Legacy, but I know only some basic details that happen in novels post ROTJ. Thanks for the clarification :)

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Good? Like half. As good as the movies? About a quarter. Worth throwing out? Maybe ten percent.

Valin__Kenobi and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hmm, maybe a bit higher than 10%. Though admittedly, the majority of what should be thrown out, IMO, has occurred in the past decade, +/-.

--Adm. Nick

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ^With the exception of Shadows of Mindor, I completely agree with that. The LOTF/FOTJ's just don't "feel" like Star Wars to me. More like a directionless soap opera.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The thing about Post-NJO to me is that as much as I don't care for a lot of the major directions they've gone in, I like too many pieces of it to want to get rid of the whole thing. I like Ben as a character. Same with Vestara, Allana, Wynn and Saba. I like the Killiks' history, and Jaina Fel. I even like widower Luke. Toss LotF and FotJ out the window, and you'd have to lose a lot of good with all the bad.

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    This.

For every Jar Jar, there is a Mace Windu, which makes it hard for me to know "what" I'd be willing to lose. It's like asking me whether I prefer the Special Editions or the originals, as sure, there's some stupid stuff, but there's also good bits too.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well for once I gotta don the Helm of Pessimism.

[​IMG]

I pretty much hated all of that. Ben's character was all over the place. Vestara and Allana are annoying as hell, and the post-NJO Saba is too cold and aloof (I basically hate all the LOTR/FOTJ females come to think of it). Jaina's an idiot and her BF Captain Cardboard's a joke.

The only thing we'd lose I'd be mildly disappointed to see go is that one scene between ol' melty-face Raynar and rat-in-his-pants Wynn chilling on the steps eating a sandwich. Although the reason for that scene's very existence is completely inane to begin with.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't read those but between Wook summaries and posts on these boards over the years, I doubt I'll read past the NJO. Jacen turning Sith and killing Mara is just stupid, and I don't even like Mara.

I'm definitely not at a point where I'll care if LOTF gets retconned, especially given how much Boba Fett seems to be involved.

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Your not going to read legacy and it's sequel?

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm open to being sold on it but it hasn't happened yet.

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Cade is rather unlikeable as a main, and Kryat is an underwhelming villain but the supporting cast carries it. Wyylok should had been the final villain

Legacy 2 is rather impressive itself

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sideburns and abs of steel.
    [​IMG]

Sexy Zeltron men (and women).
    [​IMG]

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You have my attention.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Suffice to say, Jan Duursema knows how to provide fan service for the guys, gals, Hutt lovers and fleet junkies. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.