main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah... LOTF and FOTJ definitely have had some lows. At the same time, there's too much in there I really liked. I love the Killiks/Abeloth/Maw/Centerpoint stuff. Abyss is still great. At least a third of LOTF was rather good (especially those dealing with Luke and a chair ;)). And some of the characters along the way as well.

Not to mention Mercy Kill...

However, I wouldn't miss the Daala/COS Abby/Lost Tribe stuff.

Honestly though, as long as NJO (and, hopefully, DNT) were left more or less intact, I'd be perfectly happy. I suspect Legacy will be mostly salvageable in either scenario if only due to it's distance and the time available to retcon anything inbetween.

Zorrixor likes this.
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yep. the intervening century is vague enough in the actual text of Legacy that it's certainly salvageable.

Barriss_Coffee and Zorrixor like this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    With the retcons TOTJ has lived through, Legacy has nothing to worry about.

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Interesting hypothetical: what if they wanted to set Episode VII in 137 ABY? In other words, would you rather lose the NR era and retain Legacy, or vice-versa?

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Retain Legacy at all costs. It remains the only series to capture both the spirit of the Original Trilogy AND show the true effects of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion on the galaxy. For me, this series is essential reading.

--Adm. Nick

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What Yuuzhan Vong invasion? [face_mischief]

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    *cough*

8. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The one mentioned in Legacy, that could have been totally different to the one depicted in NJO. :p

The Thrawn Trilogy survived the Clone Wars being completely different to the Clone Wars Zahn imagined at the time; the same works with Legacy, and that alien invasion that happened long ago having been very different, and any specifics cited in the comics riddled with historic inaccuracies and hearsay, just like happens in real life.

Aside from "there were once these aliens, who were mean and captured A'Sharad" there's not much written down in stone in Legacy about what happened, so for all anyone who hasn't read the NJO knows, it might have been nothing more earth-shattering than the Yevetha crisis. (Even the plants on Coruscant don't automatically mean the whole galaxy was once ruled by self-mutilating barbarian hordes, just that someone dropped a biowarhead in the sewers once.)

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You can't have Legacy without the Vong War, as it was the catalyst that really started the whole chain of events. Without the Vong, you have no issues with Krayt, no need for an Ossus Project, no source of tension between the GA and Empire, etc.

In short, your premise doesn't work. :p

--Adm. Nick

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It would be much easier if the ST was set that far in the future, though. That way, it'd be very easy to simply say that Legacy is one possible outcome and the ST is the other. The way it's likely to go, I imagine some stuff will be thrown out, but some will be salvageable. I don't envy the guy who's going to have to clean up that mess.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I love how you both argued with me yet contradicted each other quite precisely. o_O

12. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Zor, I admire your optimism but nineteen books, several short stories, an ongoing comic, and a short comic in Tales are a little harder to sweep under the rug than the scattered references to the pre-2002 Clone Wars.

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Welcome to the Lit Forums. [:D]

--Adm. Nick

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah for some reason i was thinking the movie. um 15 aby.... what happened in 15 aby? Backfleet Crisis??

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's an interesting question- I think that, if everything else would survive, I'd rather lose Legacy, despite its quality (because, lets face it- no matter what happens, SOMETHING of quality is going to be lost. By that reasoning it becomes a numbers game of minimizing the number of sources lost).

It'd just be so much cleaner. And Legacy could live on as an alternate future (with potential for retconning into continuity- or we just blame Jacen).

EDIT- it's actually 15ABE, so, 19 ABY. HOT, Union.

16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    abe. yeah for ahwile in the bantam they seemed to go by abe in the timeline, but now its aby.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think we should retcon everything after the part that Luke throws his lightsaber away in ROTJ.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, no, no. The Worrt burp is clearly the ideal continuity breakpoint.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    But I'm unaware of Legacy spending a whole TPB giving a blow-by-blow summary of 19 books?

Because Legacy is still in recent memory, it's easy to forget that 100% textual fidelity has never been the case in practice after a story has entered the back catalogue. KOTOR doesn't need TOTJ. TOR doesn't need KOTOR. Like Legacy and NJO, you could obliterate the foundations and, but for a couple of remarks of no immediate relevance to the narrative story being told, the underlying story remains entirely workable.

And the story is always more important than whether Naga Sadow was really a human magician. Even if there'd never been a Darth Revan or Jedi Civil War, you still can have the Sith Emperor return from the brink and bring the Great War upon the Republic.

If that wasn't the case for Legacy, people who hadn't read NJO wouldn't have understood it. That's what made Legacy so successful: because it didn't focus on what came before it, but on the story it was telling. Unlike Del Rey's obsession with trying to force readers into needing to delve into their back catalogue to make sense of things (something books like Plagueis get criticised for, even if all of us loved it), Jan and John made Legacy readily accessible to all new readers.

Look at the Original Trilogy itself. Lucas threw out and contradicted countless ideas he had had back in the 70s and 80s when he finally wrote the prequels. But it doesn't stop people watching the prequels, even if there are errors or omissions that people can pick up. Because Leia never having been able to know her real mother is a trivial detail, just like whether some guy called Darth Caedus existed does not prevent you still enjoying Legacy and just ignoring that sole mention. It recontextualises the story, certainly, but it doesn't outright prevent it.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Distressed by Jabba's demise? :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, but allowing us to avoid multiple Fett sarlacc falls would be a plus. ;)

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That way they could stay true to those old concepts where Palpatine survives ROTJ.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The Worrt burp is the Superboy Punch of the GFFA.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  24. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    He burped at the Wall of Reality?

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You should see the thing he coughed up once--it started calling itself Waru.

BigAl6ft6, CeiranHarmony and Zorrixor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.