main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Del Rey did screw up after the NJO series. LA may have had it coming to them, and this I unfortunately have to agree. TFU 2 was not great, Star Wars Kinect was plain horrible, and I don't want to mention Republic Heroes. What a piece of ***t. As for the clone wars, I'm still peeved. That show should not have been cancelled and should have been allowed to finish at least with 2 more seasons. Now we have an empty half ass told story just like TFU series. Disney really has not incentive of going back because with their sequel trilogy and the one hots between the movies why would they bother to go back and work on stuff from a different timeframe that was owned by Lucas and screwed up by his people any way when they can cash in on their stuff. It's their property now not Lucasfilm or GL or Sansweet or anybody else but Disney

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Let me break it down in simple terms. More movies are great if the movies themselves are great. At this point, we don't know, they well could be. But if they're just pretty good, mediocre, or outright terrible, then I could have done with less movies that had more time and effort put into them.

Given that these movies are springing forth largely out of a desire for money rather than any artistic necessity, a lot more effort will have to be put into them to make them great. And this plan to churn out movies at a breakneck pace right out the door without even testing the waters first with a single movie doesn't inspire confidence in me that they're taking this seriously from an artistic standpoint.

edit: And let me reiterate at this point that of course none of us really know anything about anything yet, so we're all just a bunch of Pollyannas and Debbie Downers until further notice.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I just don't like LFL's behavior since the PT was finished, acting like Star Wars is Star Trek in the sense that only on screen matters.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Good thing Disney's here now to reestablish the canonical legitimacy of the EU once and for all.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Until I see hard evidence that the EU is going to be jettisoned because of the ST, I am not going to cry foul at Disney just yet.

Continuing with my original line of thought on what I am concerned about, I am indifferent about Arndt, because I had never even heard of him, let alone seen anything he wrote, until he was brought up in these Episode VII discussions, though I will probably end up seeing at least Toy Story 3 in the future.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Right after you read Shatterpoint?

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    The EU may or may not be jettisoned, but it's basically a certainty that it's not going to survive as is.

If I'm wrong, I will eat my hat and suffer severe (possibly deadly) gastrointestinal distress with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I grew up seeing Toy Story and Toy Story 2, so I will watch Toy Story 3 when I can find it, and I am taking a break from buying books for a little while, preferably until I get a job, though Shatterpoint, The Cestus Deception, and Omnibus: Clone Wars Volume 1, followed by the other Clone Wars stuff in two more stages, are going to be some of the first things I buy when I do start up again.

9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I have fallen in love with the Omnibus format! :)

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    If you don't want to buy I reccomend libaires ;)

11. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    For some reason i lol'd at this. Is that rude?

12. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I know it may be old news...but, so now Disney is saying they'll release a movie a year alternating between the sequels and spin-offs about the main characters. Well honestly, the OT was really Luke's story, so you can rule him out of the spin -offs. So that leaves Leia, Han, and Chewie. Personally I could care less about a Leia movie. And really I cringe to think what Disney would do with a Chewbacca story!! Not to mention that it would probably be included somewhat in the Han Solo movie. So really, Han Solo is all they got!! I hope they don't screw up the HST too bad!!!

13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Could it be argued that spin-off movies make the EU obselete?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think they could co-exist alongside the books, depending on what they focus on.

I'm now wondering if the EU won't just diminish in quantity (not necessarily quality, just quantity). I don't think a movie every year means the EU has to disappear completely (apologies if I already posted that). TCW came out every week and we still had books that tied in with the series, Karen Miller's books plus the comics.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Exactly. It'll be fine in the long run.

As has been pointed out several times now, Marvel was de-canonised and then worked back into canon one step at a time.

Now we have Lumiya in LotF, a five month long Nagai-Tof War, and a variety of references across the Saga lifted from a stage in SW which was once non-canon. Shrug.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  17. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Five months long? I thought the Nagai-Tof War all happened in the space of one month. :confused:Can I ask where this comes from?

18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  19. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It almost makes you feel sorry for Filoni...

TCW shot first, and thought it had killed the rabbit... but Mickey cannot be defeated that easily.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Forgotten War, as I understand.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah...almost.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm totally of the opinion Filoni included that in there as a symbolic gut punch to the EU.

"Here is how your continuity dies... in thunderous silence on a forgotten planet in a regrettable episode."

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This is where I "like" a post because I agree with it, not because I actually like it. :(

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can totally see Lucasfilm / Disney treating the EU the same way they do Marvel's comics, as source materiel and inspiration. If they're gonna do a movie a year, you'd figure they'd draw upon the vast resources of spin-off materiel if not as out-and-out continuity fitting canon, but a story they can adapt. Heir to the Empire is really really popular, I can see that possibly being adapted in some way. Maybe not a live-action movie, but animated flick, adapted as part of the new animated series (if they do it post ROTJ to Ep. 7). I keep going back to Game of Thrones / Walking Dead and to use that as a template for the series. Dig into the EU, some original stories, and do that. Besides, the comedy episode where they adapt "The Crystal Star" could be amazing!

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This smacks of Filonism.

"I'm gonna take an EU species (Phindar) and make it command another EU species (Anooba) to kill a character (Piell) who already died in the EU."
    *one week later*
    "Hey don't blame me -- it was George's idea!"

(speaking of which -- who wants to bet JJ is going to play the "It was George's idea!" card whenever fans are pissed off about something?)

Starkeiller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.