main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I finally saw Abrams's new Star Trek today! At long last!

And I couldn't get this image out of my head:

[​IMG]

2. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    It will happen.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    While we don't have sales figures (that I know of, I won't pretend I looked very hard), I'm personally very skeptical that the Marvel omnibuses made that much money, at least any more than any other omnibus edition they might publish. They could have just published some of their in-house material first and skipped over the cost of buying the Marvel rights.

Obviously business played a large part in the decision, but it's not something many other companies would bother with at all. Case in point: Marvel. Those guys reprint almost nothing, and when they do, it's in $100+ collections that rarely stay consistently in print for more than a year. Dark Horse, on the other hand, are reprinting everything down to the ultra-obscure Ewoks comics, and intend to keep them in print indefinitely. Like I said, that's not something the other comic book companies usually bother with.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Marvel, because I actually really like them. I just don't think their business model fits Star Wars at all. Unless continuity is thrown out.

The guy totally has the voice for it. Make it so.

It must happen.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, if there's one actor I could tolerate badmouthing Vader....

instantdeath likes this.
  5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
  6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It means that the movies and the TV show aren't off limits to be altered or ignored, which is something I suspected anyways - but I have a feeling that movie/cartoon purists will be angrily posting about after the new movie comes out.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't think using or not using the Marvel characters is about respect. It's about the characters being thirty years old and obscure. You'll note that Dark Horse doesn't go around reusing its own twenty-year-old characters, either. There are no Nomi Sunrider stories, no Tott Doneeta in KOTOR. No Vima-Da-Boda in Invasion. The X-wing fandom has been waiting over a decade for new stories. The only thing from the nineties to even get touched was Crimson Empire, which was extremely popular back in the day and finally got its third volume about fifteen years later. Hell, the newer characters of Rebellion were abandoned because they didn't sell well enough. Do you really think that Randy is going to commission a story about a villain from an obscure thirty-year-old comic? Do you really think Marvel is going to do stories about Kiro, a character 97% of the fandom doesn't even know exists and 2% of the remaining three do not particularly care about, because they happened to publish him thirty years ago?

It's not about respect, it's about fan awareness and the limited opportunity of any of those characters to be relevant to stories.

That's the first fan-casting of Thrawn I've ever felt reasonably comfortable with.

Though I still want Cumberbatch as young Tarkin.

8. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I like the idea of John Noble as Thrawn.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Would Thrawn even have a Core accent?

10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    He'd most likely develop one. Manner of speech does mean a lot in how others see you, and in turn, whether they bother to listen to what you have to say: "racist Empire" or not, Thrawn would be smart enough to eliminate any potential disadvantage he had.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I've always kind of thought the Chiss should have Russian accents.

We do know that Thrawn learned Basic from a Corellian, which could influence his accent, but after that relative brief time, he would have really developed his Basic with the Fleet, where the Coruscanti accent was the norm. I think he's been done with both British and (awful) American accents in video games, which may reflect an ability to perform either accent. Presumably he would lean on the Coruscanti accent normally, being in the Fleet.

12. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Charles Dance is my current pick. Then again, I still need him for a pre-TPM Dooku spinoff. [face_dunno]

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Actually I have seen them reuse old characters countless times in the X-Men. It is something that Marvel likes to do a lot. Seeing as the Star Wars comics saved the company from bankruptcy back then, they probably have fond feelings for these old characters too.

DH doesn't reuse characters that much, that is true. You make a good point and maybe a lack of respect wasn't the reason for not reusing the Marvel characters.

We can only speculate, but nostalgia is a huge factor here. They probably thought that in their niche market such a thing as a classics collection would sell well.

Marvel would try to sell Star Wars comics to the masses and maybe succeed. DH delivers more to a niche market. Both has its advantages and disadvantages. Because DH is so small I believe sometimes it listens too much to the fans. With a few exceptions, the stories always feel pretty similar to one another.

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TOTJ has always felt incomplete to me. What happened in between Fall of the Sith Empire and Beast Wars of Onderon?

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Of course it's incomplete! It's a 1,000 year gap!

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A 1,000 gap that needs to be filled in!

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Warfare suggests that the Republic eventually invaded and destroyed the Sith Empire. Not sure if it was immediately after, or if it was a long slow campaign.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "Dark Lords of the Sith" says just that. However, many mysteries about these thousand years remain.

19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    do you think disney will cover that?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nadd's career springs to mind.

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    In the movies or in some other media?

22. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    either

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope they will and so does Zorrixor, but he's not so optimistic about it

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Doubtful, it's a niche of a niche audience.

25. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    They may not be happy with Del Rey's sales, Apocalypse only reached thirty on the NYT bestseller list,
    Disney will probably want better sales with the money they spent for LFL. LFL could accept
    those sales, Disneywatches everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.