main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ford in that trailer totally sounds like he's getting out his childhood dream of being a baseball play-by-play announcer.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    [face_hypnotized]

Amazing.

I now imagine a universe where Lucas convinced him to introduce every episode of TCW.

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm not sure how much it would have helped. That trailer is amazing, though. Ford was probably so enthusiastic because he thought for sure Han would bite it at the beginning of the next one.

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Helped in what sense? With the show itself? No, I don't imagine so. With amusing me? Yes, tremendously. :p

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think Ford was actually enthusiastic in that trailer. That is his nerd voice.

6. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Good point, well made.

"Coming to a galaxy near you next summer!" Higher pitch, frantic, excited. Yeah, I suppose you're right.

7. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Off-topic thing here that some may have talked about before but I came up with this last night.

Okay for this scenario amazingly the EU is spared and the EU and the future movies live in near-perfect harmony (with only a few retcons here and there).

For the story I am using what the Sword of the Jedi series would have been and I have created a opening crawl for Ep. 7 here: http://starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/index.jsp?cs=xqdkvgwhg4

So if the next trilogy went this way my question is after the ST where could the EU go.

Thank you for reading my totally off-topic post I worked an hour on (mostly on the useless crawl)...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ Hey, cool crawl! Very well written in the Star Wars-ian style!

9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Really? Thanks! I thought it was pretty bad...

10. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    It's from Rogue Leaders: The Story of LucasArts, which was released in 2008. Kind of odd that this picture is just now getting attention.

11. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Not really. People are using it as proof that LucasArts wasn't already gasping along on an iron lung when it was shut down. It's another reason for them to get mad at Disney, they'll grab for whatever straws they can.

12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Also many of those games are discussed in The Force Unleashed art book

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    *cough*

14. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    YOU WANT ME TO RIP IT? I'M RIP-IT REILLY, AND I'M GONNA RIP IT!

Problems I can spot:

1. "An ancient evil has been awakened". Seriously, stop that. Cliche as hell. Don't make me bust out Halo 4 trailers.
    [​IMG]

2. New threat is a lost tribe of Sith? Okay, but here's what everyone in the theater is going to be wondering: "What about the Empire?"

3. "New Jedi Order under the leadership of Luke Skywalker must destroy the tribe." "Confront" would work better here, otherwise you're getting into "but Jedi don't take revenge" territory. To quote Yoda, TESB: "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack."

4. "Who's Ben Skywalker? Who's Jania Solo?"

5. Jania Solo.

6. Overall gist of your crawl: THERE'S SITH, AND HERE ARE OUR JEDI, AND THEY MUST FIGHT THE SITH, SO THE JEDI MUST FIND THEM SO THEY CAN FIGHT THEM, AND THEN WE'LL HAVE SITH FIGHTING JEDI. Meanwhile...

7. No follow-up in the crawl on what Han and Leia are doing. You know, characters that movie-goers are actually familiar with and care about.

8. Again, no commentary on the state of the Rebellion or of the Empire. You'll find political nuances in every episode crawl.

tl;dr: get back to work, knave. ;)

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    To be fair, and maybe this will be something which Episode VII will ultimately be (IMO) unjustly criticized for, but I highly doubt that the opening crawl will mention the Big 3 at all, but instead focus on the new protagonist(s). I expect Luke, Han, and Leia to be akin to Yoda or Mace in the prequels or Obi-Wan and Yoda in the OT in terms of screen time and importance in the story. I don't expect the film to rely upon one or more of them at the start to "bridge" the films -- if anything, I think it would set unrealistic expectations for their importance to the narrative.

Likewise about the Empire, unless they are the antagonistic force in the story again, I don't expect them to be mentioned.

But I'm operating under the assumption that the sequel trilogy will be as disconnected from the OT as the OT was disconnected from the PT.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    HWK-290 I showed this to my dad who has no knowledge of the EU (other than that Luke, Leia and Han have kids) and his only question was why their is more than two Sith (which is an inside joke between me and him so it doesn't really count).

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Y'know what? that's a solid idea. I will admit I keep seeing Han / Leia / Chewie / Luke in my head when I think of "sequel trilogy" but the reality is they'll be side-characters at best (Aside from Luke, I keep thinking he'll be bigger, either Obi-Wan in Ep. 7 or Yoda in the PT). Of course, you'd figure one of them (probably most likely Luke) would get a shout-out in the opening crawl. Something from the opening crawl has to connect to the OT. (the opening of Ep. 4 connects to the PT in as much that "Darth Vader" and the "Galatic Empire" get shout-outs). So something like that.

18. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    You guys have much more faith in the average movie-goer than I do, bless you all.

Discard points 2, 7, and 8.

That leaves you with points 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Oh no, I said the film will be unfairly criticized by people that expect it to pick up where Return of the Jedi left off.

20. HWK-290

Jul 29, 2013
    But... but... Hamill's age.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    If he loses a little weight he should be fine. He is about the same age as Luke.

22. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Nah, I want to see a fatty Luke in a floating chair, ala Yoda in AOTC.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hamill can show off the new Sammo Hung saber technique style!

24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Like to say my 800th post...

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    PT had to be disconnected from OT as it was set before it, the ST will be after so it isn't all unreasonable an audience expectation for there to be some link to Jedi, which is the last chronological marker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.