main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I generally try not to take it personally as there's no "real" story of Star Wars anymore than there is of Snow White.

It's about telling a story in a GFFA.

Nothing more or less.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The main thing that bugs me about TCW is all of the disregard for so many little things from RotS, especially the novelization. TCW was the only film that I never even bothered to try to see, and I am glad I never got interested, because I love the RotS novelization too much to accept the changes. As I have mentioned before, Darth Maul's "survival" was my last straw for accepting the events of TCW, and when the Tantive IV making just one appearance in TCW managed to unravel everything we knew about the ship, it became clear that the show had problems in my eyes.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  3. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    I'd heard TCW was pretty violent for a "kids show" myself, and probably not in the Road Runner-gets-pulverized-by-ACME-anvil fashion. Wasn't sure if it was the exception or the norm these days.

4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well I recommend you check it out because I think the changes are less than most people believe them to be and it's nice to see so many nods to the Expanded Universe reach a wider audience. I respect your reasons, even if I disagree with them.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Like everything with TCW, it seemed to vary arc by arc. Sometimes the show comes off as really "childish" (for lack of a better term), and sometimes you'll get stuff like the Umbara arc that's actually a fairly compelling look into the horrors of war.

Also, seeing as how we're discussing TCW for some reason,

I think this one may have a point [face_idea]

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Except it's stuff I paid for on a certain basis that has been reneged on, so since that's done, I'm not buying. Or to put it another way:

[​IMG]

It can easily be extended to books or even comics!

If said prior material was free, I'd be more relaxed about it all, but it wasn't. Can the two work versions together? Not without a lot of creativity and perhaps not even then. Still I'm consistent - Clone Wars, New 52, Top Cow - they've all seen my buying either cease outright or plummet due to rebooting, at which point they get the boot from me in return!

GrandMasterKatarn and Zeta1127 like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I get what you're saying Jedi Ben, but I guess my point is that the Republic comics shouldn't be judged on their value to continuity but their value as pieces of fiction to enjoy. Republic: Obsession is more or less non-canonical, despite the fact that TCW more or less takes the idea and expands on it to tell a similar (but distinct story), the question is does this mean Obsession isn't any good on its own anymore?

Did you get your money's worth from it?

If so, is there really a problem?

Just a thought.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Atlas put some effort into working the two together.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Also, the biggest and most infamous one of the Mandalorians was fixed by the Clone Wars itself.

10. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    1. Available only to those with Satellite or Cable. Absolutely everyone can go to watch a film at the cinema (and they're usually on broadcast TV two or three years after release - for free!). What I've seen of TCW, I've seen on YouTube.

2. The beards, the beards, the carved-from-a-wood-block beards! They are simply not realistic.

3. Anakin looks nothing like his AotC/RotS self.

My reasons!

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I watch my The Clone Wars on my Xbox Live account.

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Realistic means taking the fun out of animation.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The things is, I have said it before and I will say it again, I don't see us as having got anything from the Expanded Universe in TCW, because its not the same.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    And my reaction is, "I really really disagree. So judge for yourself."

:)

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    What have we honestly gotten? Several film and EU characters, virtually all of them with new backstories or involvement in a lot of new events that aren't easy to reconcile with the past, a few film and EU planets, some drastically changed to a certain extent, and a few new ship and space station classes, but no EU ships that had been previously established as having featured prominently during the Clone Wars. Sorry to disappoint you, but this isn't my idea of nods to the EU, not at all.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Would you like me to talk about it or is this something you're set on? Just curious.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like some EU and some of TCW. There's a wide range of material in both areas; I can't love or hate all of it.

I understand Zeta's stance though; I'm just not bothered by many of the continuity errors.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think we all understand Zeta's stance, considering he posts about nothing but said stance in every. thread. ever.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    What can I say, I am uneasy about the future of Star Wars thanks to much of what has happened since 2005, though Disney hasn't made me as uneasy as LFL's behavior since 2005, and it shows in what I post.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah but you don't have to mention it in every. damn. post. Seriously, dead horse doesn't even begin to describe it.

I get it. A lot of people were unhappy with the direction TCW went in. A lot of people are already unhappy at the prospect of the ST contradicting established canon. But dwelling on that negativity just adds to it, and constantly reminds others of it. There comes a point when you just add nothing to the discussion but this selfish negativity, and I don't know about you, but that does not sit well with me. And as others have pointed out in the past to you, TCW is hardly the first source to make huge alterations to SW canon. Marvel comics, 90% of Boba Fett's original backstory, 90% of the Clone Wars backstory from the Bantam books. The list goes on and on. It'll never be perfect, despite the united canon of SW.

My point is- we all have some part of SW we dislike. But we don't let that hate consume and blind us, to use Force terminology. I'm truly sad you're so disappointed with SW, Zeta, that you do nothing but complain. I know I can't change the way you think, but please consider moving on, and focusing on the aspects of SW you do like. Otherwise, well then SW just might not be for you anymore. Again, I'm so sorry it's come to this for you.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I would through in this extra bit for myself:

Following the Clone Wars material after the end of AOTC, across 3 years, all the way to ROTS, really was a one-of-a-kind, unique experience. TCW could never recapture that because ROTS was out, the story known.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That's a bit like saying that you could never do any "Big Three" stories set during the Rebellion because of Marvel comics, isn't it?

23. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Aside from the continuity gripes, my main issue with TCW is rather than look for some new and unexplored area of the Canon, they went ahead and re-wrote a period which already had been completely covered by the Clone Wars multimedia project.One of the reasons I am actually excited for Rebels, is that covers a less explored time period, the years between Episodes 3 and 4 (except for 19BBY the early Purge has been done to death). Rather than get another over saturation of Clone wars stuff it has decided to explore a new area in the canon which can still have a connection to the films while not mangaling that much of the EU.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Privately, I much prefer the Clone Wars Anakin over the comics Anakin. He's a mature, sensible, and noble figure who has come into his own as a Jedi Knight.

Particularly because of his responsibility for a padawan.

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I do like TCW's Anakin better than almost any depiction (except the beginning of ROTS and Labyrinth of Evil).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.