main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I would personally be very disappointed if the Sith are featured as the villains as I feel they have been massively overused by the EU, and would probably bring nothing new as Villains. One of the major reasons I have loathed recent EU is all the Protagonists and Villains seem to be force users with very little focus given to the other folk in the galaxy. It is why I still perfer the OT era over all the other, as with the Jedi and Sith limited to only a few characters, we really got to see a wider variety of people, like pilots, Rebels Imperials and smugglers. Unfortunatly the Sith have no become synonymous with Evil in Star Wars so I doubt Disney wouldn't use them.

Valin__Kenobi and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Sith are the definition of Evil in Star Wars. Of course they'll appear in the Sequel Trilogy.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm inclined to believe that they won't, since Anakin destroyed them. Continuity of conflict would undo the weight of the first six episodes as the Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker.

The closest I would imagine for the films to include the Sith would be if one of Luke's Jedi try to revive the Sith. But that story didn't work out well the last time it was told.

I'm finding it hard to believe that the spin-off films would uniformly feature Sith villains, so considering LucasFilm has already opened themselves to the range of possibilities, I don't think they'll get lazy when it comes to Episode VII's antagonist and diminish the preceding six films in the process.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm thinkin it's incredibly likely it might be Sith as well but we'll see the formation of a new Sith order, something that's basically an offshoot of Vader and Palpy but not a "direct line". No hidden Vader or Palpy secret apprentices would be my vote, just someone who stumbles into that Sith knowledge, with that happening so that Anakin's sacrifice can still have (mostly) emotional weight. Maybe contrast that will Luke's building of the new Jedi order. The building years didn't really get that contrast in the EU (Dark Jedi were just kinda around) so it'd be fun to see that happen.

5. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So Episode VII is going to have holocrons? Or books?

The only training in the films is oral. And the Sith were destroyed when Vader sacrificed himself to kill Sidious.

Writing the sequel trilogy is a tall order because it's difficult to figure a conflict that isn't a retelling of the prior two.

6. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Oral training? Nah... I'm not going there... [face_whistling]

7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'd hate that more than anything.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, I used "stumbled" as in "they find out about it". However, I would not entirely be opposed to the idea that the antagonist literally trips, falls into a hole, and is like "Hey! Sith Knowledge! Cool!" *shoots lightning from fingertips*

I do have a mental image of Darth Sidious Holocron imparting all the badness or, alternately, Angry Darth Sidious ghost yelling from the netherworld chaos "HERE IS HOW YOU BE A SITH! AVENGE MEEEEEEE!!! ARGGHHH!!" and so forth.

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013

[face_rofl]

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    For Darth Sidious holocron, see Jedi vs Sith The Essential Guide to the Force: the Telos holocron bits. Very much the urbane snarker in that.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Dooku apparently had a Sith Holocron that he hid somewhere and is still undiscovered (according to the Wook).

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm partial to the notion of Darth Sidious' holocron spirit telling the wannabe Sith who opens it to "get ******."

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    [face_laugh]. That would be awesome.

14. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Purely stupid hypothetical question and may not be the right place to ask this but I had this thought today.

If someone said that of the upcoming Prequel movies (and spin-offs) or the future of Star Was novels (whatever form that is), you could only ever experience one form of Star Wars media, which would you choose?

At first I figured I would rather have the books, considering they can give much more time of fun! but then after significant thought I decided I would probably go with the films. This is because with all the Disney talk it seems to that the Future of Star Wars is all about the films. And any EU books will be unable to delve too deep in fear of clashing with the films and that the output may drop significantly.

15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Makes me wonder if we'll see adult novelizations of the ST.

TheJediBrah likes this.
  16. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    I was wondering exactly that as well. The prequels had novelisations come out before-hand (though I was much too young to read them). But considering the massive secrecy they have surrounding the Sequel Trilogy I have a hard time thinking that they would release "spoilers" in the way form of novels.

17. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It depends on how well they're done. Honestly, if I'm making this decision with the assurance that whatever medium I choose will be of the utmost quality... I'd actually choose a TV show. TV as a medium has come so far in this past decade, and there are dozens of series that show that TV has access to storytelling options that films simply don't have the time to explore. Of course, I am somewhat hesitant to say this for Star Wars, because at this point and time, TV is naturally limited in budget in a way that films aren't. For something like Star Wars, that might be a huge deal.

Ideally, I'd love to see something like Agent of the Empire as a TV series. Low key yet somehow giving the appearance of extravagance. There's no denying that Star Wars is a very visual franchise, so I think that TV is the best compromise between the lasting appeal of books and the visual nature of films.

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    and there's the matter of who they're marketing to

19. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    Yes. Do you mean just the novelisations or the films themselves?
    I'm sure the films will not be too childish. They will have learned from the Jar-Jar debacle, and JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies have been suitably adult for my tastes.

If they think that that adult novelisations will sell, then I'm sure they'll make those as well. But the real question is whether they are released before or after the films.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm hoping that with Abrams disliking spoilers, the ST will take a different turn and have the soundtracks and novelizations released with the films or shortly thereafter, rather than a month or two prior.

Anyone remember the "Qui-Gon's Funeral" track on the TPM soundtrack, released a month or two before the film? Yeah, it wasn't funny.

21. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, while I've given little thought to it, it has occurred to me that Episode VII is very likely to be my first Star Wars movie where I'll be one of those guys who knows the entire outline of the movie before ever seeing it. When Episode III was released the internet barely existed for me.

If it's even possible, I'd love to go into EVII unspoiled, but considering I frequent this forum, I imagine I'd have a better chance of turning GrandAdmiralJello into an anarchist. Come 2015, I envision this forum being composed entirely of spoiler tags (with the inevitable ass and/or innocent misunderstanding that results in spoiling the entire film). And what can I say, even in the absence of opposition, I don't think I'll be able to resist knowing what the film does with the EU.

I will say this, though: if Matthew Stover is the one writing the novelization, I doubt I'll be able to resist reading it before the film.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Second friendly reminder. This thread is supposed to be reserved for announcements about Episode VII and it's relation to the Expanded Universe, or relevant discussion. This thread is becoming too cluttered with conversations that could be carried out in other threads.

--Adm. Nick

23. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    LOL

It's kind of funny.

24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Will Star Wood stay canon?

25. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Probably, it was launched after the Disney sale, and no doubt The people Disney put into Licensing, have input into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.