main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    That actually sounds like what Tatooine might have really become at that point -- a Gulf country. I know we're still in that void of total ignorance about the EU, but it is mentioned in the NJO that business on Tatooine boomed and it became a very important place after Hutt planets were devastated by the Yuuzhan Vong.

2. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    DelRiego In all seriousness, I would read the crap out of that. Hell, I would co-write it with you so I could read it.

Ulicus and DelRiego like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    So I'm watching Return of the Jedi, and I'm struck by this strong feeling that it's pretty much compulsory that the first action sequence in Episode VII needs to be accompanied by

or a remix thereof. Like, if this doesn't happen, I'll give serious consideration to just walking out and resigning my Star Wars commission. I'm typing up the letter right now.

(Also, I'll note that Sail Barge Assault is IMO the inferior version of "The Return of the Jedi" but it seems the only copy of that on youtube was taken down for copyright.)

Zorrixor and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The first action sequence in VII should be set to that, yes–if the first action sequence has a Jedi in it. If there's not a Jedi in it then I think they should save that until the first scene with a Jedi in action. Can you imagine the uproarious applause in the theater? Like, maybe we've gone through thirty minutes or so of the movie and we've seen their sabers at their belts, and maybe we've seen soldiers or bounty hunters fighting already, or a space battle...and then, finally, we get what we've been waiting for–Luke's son whips out the saber, and that theme starts. I think if that happens I'll leap to my feet and cheer. I can imagine the goosebumps of joy already! :D

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So without Lucasfilm moving forward on new movies (and most likely being sold to Disney) the Star Wars franchise would have most likely been relegated to animated cable TV series and novels, did anyone really want the future of the franchise to be predicated upon only that, or did they want new theatrical, live-action films that continued the Star Wars saga? Proper episode titles, marketing push, movie stars, the whole 9 yards. Me? I want the latter. That is the most important thing to keep Star Wars going onward.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Because having an EU and the movies at the same time is impossible, right?
    Just ask LFL circa 1990.

Starkeiller, Zeta1127 and Contessa like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm operating under the assumption that the status quo is Luke's legacy. I intended it to be the unstated implication that the first action scene would be appropriate to that theme.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This is an interesting point that I hadn't considered before...

In the OT, it didn't start with a Jedi, it started with normal stuff, in each film, before you got to the swooshing and snap-hissing. That always made the aforementioned swooshing and thrumming fun and exciting. In TPM... you see that right at the start. In TPM's case, I guess it was maybe understandable, as the idea was to immediately remind people: Hey, guess where you are again? Yes, in the cinema, watching... STAR WARS AGAIN!!!

I suppose it'd be understandable if they did that again for the ST, dunno... but I did prefer how the OT saved the flashy stuff, and always disliked how the PT had lightsabers waving around throughout the entire films. Would be nice to have to wait a bit for that, rather than... trying to think of a soundbite here that doesn't end in an innuendo, so I will just leave it there. :p

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'll be very surprised if the first action sequence isn't a New Republic (or whatever the ST calls the successor government) battleship chasing after some smaller ship of bad guys that mirrors the opening of ANH entirely. :p

And Luke will probably stroll aboard like some light side Darth Vader.

10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    What if Disney isn't into parallels like GL is?

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Luke mimicking Vader like that... [face_love]

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know what we haven't had in SW? The big martial arts fight where loads of enemies take on 1 opponent... with lightsabers.

Why can't there be a SW version of the Crazy 88 fight?

Revanfan1, tjace and Zorrixor like this.
  14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  16. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Because it can either work very well, or...

[​IMG]

...you end up with that.

werpudel likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There wasn't anything wrong with that! It was a damn good fight scene!

The rest of the movie, I'll grant you.....

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want the GFFA version of this:

Kylun likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, Rifftrax did point out one problem - at least for one particular person - "Okay, Hugo, that was great! We just need to shoot 700 more hours of you fighting."

kubricklynch likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I could envision a future where the Star Wars universe was sustained in novels, TV shows and videogames, etc. but there is a lot more exposure if they light up the movie Batsignal.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't want to get sucked into this EU continuity vs films false dichotomy debate, but I don't think it's practical or realistic to envision the Expanded Universe as this monolithic, indivisible entity. I don't want to see a majority of the EU wiped out and I appreciate the position of wanting to preserve this gestalt sense of continuity, but from a more practical standpoint, certain sectors of the EU haven't been doing too well lately. The book sales have declined precipitously over the past decade, putting the EU in a similar scenario as at the end of the Bantam run -- and as primarily a consumer of the novels, I don't think Del Rey had any clue how to reverse that trend. I'm not as well informed about the comic side, but a lot of the DH stuff was ending, e.g. SW Legacy, Agent of the Empire, Invasion. The Force Unleashed 3 was cancelled before 2 was even released and LucasArts troubles have been well documented.

The EU was in trouble. Now, is the current situation better? I suppose it depends upon demographics. Those that prefer the gestalt sense of continuity obviously aren't going to be pleased because I can't envision there being an ideal scenario that plays out in that sense. But I don't think a lot of people would be particularly happy with the inverse scenario in which the "Expanded Universe" is dominated by FFG's releases with little else and quality storytelling few and far between, either.

Which for me is pretty much what it is/has been with regard to the SW LCG (Heroes and Legends finally) and EOTE. And I don't think Disney can be blamed for the dearth of Del Rey releases -- the only thing that they seem to have really postponed for sure is SOTJ. Though I suppose the Kemp duology might be another Legacy era thing and he seemed to have intimated a holding pattern, but we're getting these Rebellion era novels. And the rate of novel releases had been tapering down before Disney bought LFL.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't mind fewer books, and a reboot doesn't really phase me, but you know what I lose sleep over? Never finding out what the Kemp books were going to be.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Those monsters.

Revanfan1, Grey1 and CooperTFN like this.
  24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Zorrixor likes this.
  25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Watch, he'll be in Episode IIX instead. And he'll actually be Khan, too, just to screw with everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.