main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    What I love about purists is that they considered EU to be fan fiction tier, only it never stoop to the low of bringing back a character just because he's popular.. Ignoring Boba Fett that is. Then their movie level canon brings back Maul, which until then was a thing of fan fiction and Infinities type stories.

2. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Clones is the only one that makes mention of a timeframe: Anakin's "I haven't seen her in ten years, Master" line. The rest is murky now for sure.

TalonCard, I don't doubt it, but it's so obvious that the second edition is way out of date ... would have been nice if there had been a newer one before all the upset.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Another reason why Kenobi should have been kept in canon. [face_plain]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Then again who knows if that was TPM he was referring to? I assume it is but you might be right. We don't know. You and GAJ are right, this does change things. Trying to limit our knowledge to the movies and TCW is practically impossible.

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    And much more than that, actually. As much of the EU as it suits the film people will "survive the carbon freezing process", I reckon.

THE EVIL CLIFFIE likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In what respect?

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like to think that Luke is really in his thirties in Star Wars Episode IV. We just can't be sure.

8. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012

Speaking of that how long can one stay in carbonite and live to tell the tale? That can answer the relationship between TESB and RotJ

9. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I thought I would of been really upset at the announcement that would make the EU effectively non-canon, I certainly told myself I would be. But I'm not really excited or disappointed at the announcement, more of if the new books are good I will read them otherwise I won't. I wish we weren't getting something that would kinda create a Star Wars multiverse but...oh well. It is what it is. If this new EU doesn't have Kyle Katarn...there is going to be a problem...

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    MAYBE, JUST MAYBE EA will make a Jedi Knight remake!

THE EVIL CLIFFIE likes this.
  11. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    All we know about for certain is that there is a Jedi who seems to be dead in Revival, but appears to be alive in ROTS. Change of actor means nothing.

12. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    For those who don't know, here are some interesting facts we now know.

1. We know very little of the actual history of the Sith.
    2. Don't know the history of the lightsaber either.
    3. Darth Maul is now the 1st Sith so far, to use a double bladed lightsaber.
    4. Anakin so far, is the only Sith to ever wield a non-red blade for a time.
    5. The contradiction between how old the "Old Republic" is that existed between the OT and PT, in which some of the EU was made to fix said mistake, now exists, and there is nothing so far to fix said contradiction in the new reality.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  14. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Knock off the personal sniping

Edit: Dammit Uli!

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

There's no contradiction any longer, though, if you are speaking of Obi-Wan's lines in ANH, right?

16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'm about four or five more super-negative posts away from taking a hiatus from this forum until people kindly calm the kark down. There's so much negativity and vitriol spewing every which way right now that there's no way to have a reasoned discussion about anything that's going on, including the new novels. I don't want everyone to shut up and be happy with this, necessarily, disagreement and discontent are the hallmarks of this fandom and pretty much every fandom in existence. But there's been a lot of extremely tiresome whining without thinking, which is something I cannot abide. Farbeit from a cynic to try to inject positivity into the proceedings here, but I'll give it my best shot.

Everyone, please, take a few deep breaths, go outside and watch the birds for a few minutes, go see a movie, or read a book that's completely unrelated to Star Wars. This isn't the end of the world. I humbly request a little perspective from everyone before someone on this forum does something dramatic IRL because their favorite stories "don't matter anymore". And no, I'm not being facetious, anymore than half of the posts I've seen here and on Twitter.

Star Wars isn't everything. It's a great thing, yes, but it's not everything.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    All could certainly be forgiven if that was the case! I could forgive both Disney and EA! As long as it is good.

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Yeah, but it'll turn out the hero of the Jedi Knight series is Rosh Penin.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    RIP TIME 100-style Essential Characters. @};-

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    GUYS! I JUST REALIZED! THIS MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

Throwing out all previously existing canon was really the only way to get a definitive sense of how the Rebels actually stole the Death Star plans!

21. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Nothing to do with living a life of constant mortal peril in one of the most inhospitable climates in the galaxy?

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So how long has the Republic stood for? 1000 generations or a thousand years?

darthcaedus1138 and CooperTFN like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In TCW, Hugyang alternates between "thousand generations" and "thousand years" that he's been teaching younglings.

A bit like Obi-Wan's "thousand generations" in ANH and Palpatine's "Republic that has stood for a thousand years" in AOTC.

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Look at it this way: when we do get one, there's a lot more room for completely new information, characters, and backstories.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]
    thx ulicus for the pic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.