main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why can't Luke's daughter also be named Ben?

edit: Also, until JJM's novel comes out, we can't really say when Kenobi did or didn't do for Luke. I suspect Ben did juuuuust a bit more than drink alcohol, hit on women, and solve mysteries.

Ordo Skirata likes this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought that was the whole idea - that Obi-Wan had to stay to watch over Luke. The Lars didn't want him around so he had to assist indirectly, but Obi-Wan probably agreed it was best in order to keep a low profile and not draw any attention to Luke.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, Jello; there you go defending the Jedi again...

4. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    just one thing for all the people who're saying "yes! if they ditch the old EU we're going to get a whole new EU, new books, etc..." because they don't like the last Del Rey books: who's to say that the new ones will be significantly better? it would still be the same people in charge and writing those books. [face_whistling]

KamSolusar likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    :mad:

. . . so I kind of actually like the Jedi. sssh!

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You mean I'm going to have to live through that mess on the internet again?

CeiranHarmony and CooperTFN like this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Obi-Wan did his share of protecting.

(okay, last one is debatable).

Besides, Ben didn't lie to Luke, George Lucas did :p

I'm definitely of the opinion that Ben is a much more poignant naming choice than Owen, anyway. Since if it were up to Owen Luke would have stayed on the farm and Palpatine would have reigned supreme from here to eternity and all...

I am biased, though. For whatever reason, this line in the ROTS novel really rings true for me...

"Like a father you wish to be, young Obi-Wan?"
    "More an... eccentric old uncle, I think. It is part I can play very well. To keep watch over Anakin's son-" Obi-wan sighed, finally allowing his face to register a suggestion of his old gentle smile. "I can't imagine a better way to spend the rest of my life".

Yeah, Luke, you better damn well name your son after this man :p

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Should have named him Deak.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  10. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Let's just hope some poor sole isn't searching around to find out what fans like about the EU trying to decide what should be kept intact.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Doubt they'll take that sort of bottom-up approach, since we'll just end up with the moffship, Waru, and a collection of other random Lit in-jokes and lose everything else :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Indeed.

At the very least they also need to remember to keep Mount Sorrow.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, when did the thread title change?

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    When RF came in and yelled at everybody.
    Throw in Goodvalor's and my bar on Nar Shaddaa and I fail to see the problem.

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Um, don't forget Admiral Nict. According to Jello, the single greatest character created for the Expanded Universe. I humbly agree. I have it on good authority he grabbed a meal at Goodvalors from time to time and was known to drink a Corellian whiskey or two at a awesome bar on Nar Shaddaa... :cool:

--Adm. Nick

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's too bad Jello hasn't been Tuckerized yet or we could have an IU meetup.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Not the one that Kyle visited in Jedi Outcast, I hope! (Wasn't much left after I walked out of it!)

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Some day. I really would like to check out this bar of yours. :p

19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

I wonder how far Kenobi got with counting sand grains indeed [face_talk_hand]

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

No Palpatine would still have been destroyed :p "There is another!" remember? Besides, Owen and Beru died for Luke.. All Obi Wan did was to let them die and not save them while he must have felt it. One Jedi easily could have defeated the hitsquad.

Besides, Owen and Beru could take care of themselves pretty well and even had their friends of the Darklighter farm assist in protecting the homesteads.

As for Walkabout, whose to say Obi Wan didn't lure the kid out into the desert himself? Ha! The Force did it or what? Who got it, Kenobi.. blame the Jedi!

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    When you're old enough.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My father wanted me to, but my uncle wouldn't allow it. :(

23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Dramatic reenactment:

24. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I'd say there is an almost certainty that the current EU is going to be severly compromised, just from thinking logically.
    scenario 1 : they don't contradict it --> then why wouldn't they announce this ASAP? it would make sense to do that on every level.
    scenario 2: they are contradicting it --> they would delay announcing it as logn as possible so as not to risk book sales etc. Scenario 2 appears to be what is happening

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Scenario 3: our feelings are immaterial.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.