main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Matter that should not. Attached to these feelings you should not be.

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, the hope is, I think, that there's enough champions of the EU still there at LFL - and that Lucas is no longer going to be override everything on his personal whim that there's an outside chance things will actually improve (and on the non-EU front, maybe Han will get his shot back! :p )

3. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    It's not about feelings, it's about profit

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Nice, juicy, fat, warm profit.

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Disney already has said they will not be making video games. They said if there are Star Wars games then it will be made by other companies.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Which is not any different than it's been for the last several years.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe LucasArts will get shaken up too - Warren Spector working on a Star Wars game, perhaps?

I mean, Disney already made a movie version of Monkey Island... [face_laugh]

8. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    The best thing is the new EU books will have a more interesting backdrop, especially politically, being based around movies. The current EU is just hard to imagine and keep interest in.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If only we'd had EU based around movies before.

10. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I just don't want to lose my X-Wing books!!! They'll always be canon. PERIOD. :_|

Deke

11. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Obviously referring to the post NJO time periods

Zorrixor likes this.
  12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Even if Leia were able to take Vader and Palpatine all by her lonesome (which I really doubt in the first place; she's definitely not going to be redeeming Vader), she's going to be utterly screwed by the time Dark Empire rolls around :p

And sure, Owen had his gun, but I don't see him fending off Krayt and his hundreds of Tuskens by himself. I don't want to doenplay Owen and Beru's role in Luke's development (loving families couldn't have been easy to find on the eve of the Empire), but Obi-Wan did give up everything he previously knew for Luke, so it's not like he was just that perverted old man down the street...

13. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    No, that's just Ben Burtt misspelt.

14. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

what did he give up? He had nothing to begin with :p

no money, no Order, no job, nothing but survival and hiding himself after the Jedi Purge! so he hardly gave up anything. He did the same as he would have without Luke: Hide, cook, go shopping, took krayt mating call lessons, etc.

All he did to secure Luke was play stalker or listen to the Force tune to alert him if danger is around.

Also I doubt Krayt was that much of a threat.. they'd probably have hurt Owen and Beru but kept Luke alive and take him into the tribe like they did with Tahiri! so?

as for Leia taking down the Emperor.. well, sure not all alone. Starkiller can help her :p

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's no guarantee a new EU would have anything more interesting than the current EU, regardless of additional content from the new films to draw upon. Especially when you consider only about 20-25% of the current EU was not "based around [the] movies" (if your premise is disregarding sources released prior to TPM for simply being based on the OT only).

The timeframe most influenced by the release & completion of the prequels, Clone Wars, etc?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah the NJO and beyond were grossly influenced by the PT, and tended to suffer as a result.

lukemaraben and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I guess I'll be the one to bring up the latest Episode 7 rumor, that it will feature some sort of resurrected Vader.

I'm honestly not breaking a sweat over it. We know that at least the basic story concept comes from Lucas and he was against a Vader-impostor in DE and in a more recent interview specifically said "Vader is never cloned after ROTJ". Now granted this is Lucas so who knows if he's changed his mind but still, it seems like something he'd stay away from.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I think there's a reason we're all ignoring it -- because it sounds like the sort of crazy, off the wall thing that we shouldn't give credence to. Worst case scenario: it's true only from a certain point of view, as rumors tend to be.

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    It does, however, make me wonder if Hayden Christiansan would ever appear as an Anakin ghost. Didn't he offer to voice Anakin in the TCW movie and Lucasfilm cold-shouldered him?

20. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Honestly it's so ridiculous that if it turns out to be true, in the immortal worlds of claymation Robot Chicken Luke Skywalker, "If you're not going to take this seriously..." I'd probably laugh for about three days and then not bother going to see the movie.

On the plus side, it'd be so ludicrous and surreal I might actually be so amused I wouldn't have time to be upset. [face_thinking]

But honestly, I would be actual money it's not true.

cthugha likes this.
  21. SITH1708

SITH1708 Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2012
    I think that rumor was misread. The one I am seeing says that 7-8-9 will be whatever they do post Jedi.

10-11-12 would then be about Vader and that 2 decade span, and they could include a young Han Solo and Lando as teens joining the Imperial Navy before ending up the smugglers they would become. A much more interesting idea, given that they could then recast those characters, as well as open Boba Fett back up. (something Joe Johnston has wanted to do for a long time, and he may have his chance here someday)

This is what I found the other day:

Notice is says fourth trilogy, not the upcoming movies.

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I can't help but just find all the talk about Post-ST films amusing. Lucas talked about sequels once too... and look how long they've taken. I don't see Disney making any concrete commitments until they actually see how the ST does. And already working on the story for Trilogy 4... hah. If stories stayed the same for that length of time, Leia still wouldn't be Luke's sister.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    For me, personally, books like Labyrinth of Evil, Cloak of Deception and Plagueis were great because of the political backdrop set up by the prequel movies (not least because of who wrote them aswell), whereas the politics and organisation of the galaxy post NJO with the "New Republic" and "Galactic Alliance" will never feel as real. But that's just me.

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    You're not the only one, I have only read Labyrinth of Evil, and plan on reading Cloak of Deception and Darth Plagueis, yet can't even bring myself to read LotF and FotJ.

25. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I call total BS on that story's "insider".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.