main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wasn't nitpicking your opinion or your right to it- just discussing the suggestion's potential impact on publishing content.

2. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Hell, there are people who can vote who weren't born then, so it might not even take that long to run us into the ground. :p

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [sarcasm]Yeah, the problem's totally the youth vote.[/sarcasm]

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd say it's worth a watch, even if I'm not a fan of it. Not bad, but not my type of movie; the melodramatic high school movies doesn't really do much for me (though of course I'll admit The Breakfast Club is heads and shoulders above practically every other high school drama ever made).

Yes, I beat the spread by barely a year. Of course, I doubt my parents took me to see it when I was less than a year old, but it's a possibility...

5. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    o rly ;)
    it's all irrelevent at this stage anyway
    I'm still hoping episode 7 will be set Post-crucible and gets along fine with all the current EU

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Not trying to make an actual political point, just going for the "get off my lawn" cheap shot....

[​IMG]

Arawn_Fenn and instantdeath like this.
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I disapprove of everyone in this thread. Also, I have no idea which thread this even is supposed to be anymore.

Jedi_Glover and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    When it came to negotiating a price, I'm sure he suddenly remembered the EU existed and warranted some extra money, yes. :p

Not that that means the story treatments mentioned in the very same breath paid the EU the same notice. :p

Arawn_Fenn and instantdeath like this.
  9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Interesting thought (funnily enough appearing over in the ces Episode 7 forum - sorry for the typo, fingers went ahead of the brain) that Mara may well be a G-canon character. Allegedly she appeared in the RotJ Radio Play (under her Jabba's-court alias, which was revealed in HttE). That link has never been repudiated, and could have come from GL in some way.

Perhaps she used a Force Illusion to make people think she was dead, while infiiltrating, and preparing to eliminate, the Disnoids!

kataja likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Strictly speaking, the radio dramas aren't G-canon. I've had that pointed out to me on numerous occasions alas -- but if only they were.

11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Star Wars Insider - 1994

Holocron canon levels - 2000

Both extracts from:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the old pre-PT standard where the EU wasn't on the canon chart. That's what I often invoked, as well as the earlier incarnations of the letter system, to allege that the radio dramas were g-canon. As far as I know, that may no longer be the case (we may have to look for newer statements to that effect).

If they're still g-canon, trust me, I'd be very happy with that.

edit: update, after checking the hierarchies, it's as I thought. Only Lucas-originated concepts in the novelizations, radio dramas, etc. count as G-canon -- the rest is C-canon along with EU. That makes perfect sense because these are largely EU treatments of the OT.

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    There is very little chance Disney or Lucas knows, or cares, about this. At the time that the radio drama was written there was no Mara Jade - that will likely be LFL's default position.

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, the ROTJ radio drama came out in 1996, so Mara Jade was fully established by then.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    All I'm going to say is that I will care about G-Canon when G-Canon starts caring about G-Canon. :p

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'd be shocked if Lucas wasn't aware of, or hadn't listened to, the ROTJ Radio Drama. Daley was held in high esteem by a lot of people.

instantdeath likes this.
  17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    We need a prefix for derailed threads. Also, a sausage and/or bacon smiley.

Havac likes this.
  18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I wouldn't be.

instantdeath likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's my understanding that the ANH Radio Drama was the single biggest casualty of TFU. I can't decide if that makes them less G-canon (by virtue of contradiction) or more (by virtue of Lucas sucking at continuity).

Zorrixor likes this.
  20. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010

Coming Soon. Star Wars meets Avengers Assemble?

21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...Iron Man doesn't have powers. I call shenanigans.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats interesting. I assumed it had come out way before that. So does that mean that Daley actually wrote it in the mid 90's? Or did he write it way back when and just tweeked it for release in 1996?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He didn't write it until the 90's. It was the last thing he wrote before his death* during/just after it's recording.

It's production was fueled by the then-recent CD releases of the original two Radio Dramas for ANH & ESB, as well as it vaguely tying into/cashing in on the SOTE multimedia campaign and forthcoming Special Editions.

It's also why it's so short compared to the other two.

*He might have at least partially written or outlined Droids: The Protocol Offensive after the ROTJ Drama, but that comic was unfinished, which is why Anthony Daniels completed it.

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Guys, I was just on a Terry Pratchett forum, and the Darth Vader Resurrected rumor was there. Why does it get to tour the Internet and not my "James Earl Jones will voice Old Luke" rumor?

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Why do we need a ressurected Darth Vader? I mean the man was redeemed let him rest in peace

Julius Vernon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.