main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Luke will be acting like a crazy hermit when they find him.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I believe Luke can and likely will be a mentor-figure without being a Ben clone which I don't think was crazy anyway.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Actually it is how people talk, it's how literally everyone on Earth talks.

Darth Koo likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, not just that, we have this whole thing called "BC" for dating. It's not like we start dating at the dawn of time or something.

DelRiego, Zorrixor, Darth Koo and 2 others like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And hasn't it been confirmed that Jesus or a Jesus was born 4-7 BC or something?

anguirus2003 and Darth Koo like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Rarely have negative numbers ever come up in my life.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Which is what I meant by literally everyone on Earth. AFAIK, no one says we're in the year 13 billion or whatever.

But as Jello said, things that happened Before Christ probably have come up, no?

Hey, when did Julius Caesar die? I don't know I've never talked about anything that happened before Christ.

Even if TPM is 0, when was Anakin Skywalker born? I don't know, I don't get it. Like, how can anything be before TPM?

How old is Mon Mothma in Episode VII? WAIT, how can her age be greater than the year Episode VII is set in? How is that even possible?

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But Chee was tweeting in terms of "how many years pass over the course of the saga", not in terms of "what year did each movie occur in".

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, which is why it's not about dating -- which is what I was saying to begin with.

Real history and/or religion has a lot more issues with continuity and canon than SW ever will :p

That's why I'm a big fan of using our approach to those subjects as how we view contradictions in SW -- not every source is of equal weight, and sometimes people have IU reasons for saying different things.

Force Smuggler and Darth Koo like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep. Wasn't born on December 25 either.

Looks to me like Leland, Disney, whoever is just trying to change the thinking on when "the saga" started.

Which isn't going to work on us older fans, for whom the saga will always begin with Star Wars. (No, not "A New Hope".)

Fans who come into the saga via TCW, Rebels or the ST and are into it enough to look for chronological dates are going to find two separate timelines and wonder what the hell happened.

Casual fans for the most part don't give a **** about dating anyway.

Darth Koo likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That the tweet wasn't about dating is all the explanation that I need for why the tweet did what it did.

Darth Koo likes this.
  12. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    Better yet they need William Shatner to yell KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! in the new movie (as his only line), and have the new villain be called Darth Khan.

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I kahn't believe that!

14. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    He wasn't crazy at all. Luke just thought he was crazy, which is why he called him a "crazy old hermit." All maybe Obi-wan acted crazy as part of his disguise so people would leave him alone.

And the bad puns began! But still if they ever did allow Shatner to do that, it would be a great way to unite both universes. It would bring peace between the two fans, which can focus on the real enemy, Twilight saga fandom:p. (But I do want Shatner to have a cameo in Ep.7.)

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't even think Luke believed that. I think he was merely parroting Owen.

Revanfan1, Darth Koo and CT-867-5309 like this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You kahnnot be serious!

Zorrixor and darklordoftech like this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I am absolutely serious, Ben.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That all-time awful bad gag was aimed at DK CA.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Might not have even existed.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke called Obi-Wan a strange old hermit.

Which he was.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Woooooooooow, this conversation is, like, blowing my mind, man. [face_hypnotized]

Did you all, like, realise every one of us was created... like, 9 whole months before we were born?! That means we were, like, alive at -9 months... Oh. Em. Gee. That's impossible!!!

How did I exist in negative time??!?! :eek:

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I've never heard anybody say, "I was -8 months old" when referring to 8 months before they were born.

23. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Ab urbe capta?

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Should be AD, not BC. That too about December 25.
    Battle of Yavin will always be my Year 0 and SW will always be my starting point. Heck, I might try to do a Empire calendar and see how that goes. And people are still complaining that the PT is dead and gone? Give me a break.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I may not be a mod, but might I recommend we steer back to and focus on SW? It would be a shame if things devolved into a religious debate, as they never end well. Posts that begin and end with questioning the existence of important religious figures have a habit of getting the ball rolling, and many places might be consider 'baiting'.

Edit: To add something on topic myself. I've grown fond of the BBY/ABY way if measuring, but I can see the Empire using either Palpatine's election (TPM) or the death of democracy (ROTS) as another way.

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.