main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Sorry, but Flow Walking is still the queerest thing I have heard.

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I want spin-offs.

Reasons:
    -- they allow for cool storytelling and a practically endless number of installments without dragging the main Saga (or the story of the GFFA as a whole) past the point of Unjustifiable Ridiculousness;

-- IMO the best stories of the "old" EU were spinoff stories (most of WEG's story seeds, the X-Wing series, Coruscant Nights, many Adventure Journal stories, the Lobot parts of the BFC, YJK, the Force Heretic trilogy, ...), whereas most of the later galaxy-spanning Big Three adventures never really did that much for me;

-- and since I believe that (most of) the old continuity will go out the window anyway, they will serve to expand the universe again; add to that the spinoff books to the spinoff movies and we might get a density of world-building and storytelling like never before.

So, yeah, spinoffs FTW. Focus on fan-favorite characters, explore places and situations in more depth, and hell, give us those GCW Vader films already if the Live-Action series is really dead.

Ulicus likes this.
  3. Adam_Bosman

Adam_Bosman Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2007
    Agreed, but it's still a handy retcon just waiting to be utilized. It's time travel...but not time travel. Dig it?

4. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    It sounds like something Michael Jackson would do, circa 1980's.

Zorrixor and cthugha like this.
  5. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    As much as I'd love the notion of planning and not believing that DR and DH got more or less as blindsided by the announcement as we did, if Crucible is secretly some EU-altering bridge story, why would they go ahead and announce SOTJ, unless they also know that Jaina, Tahiri, Ben, Allana and Jag's existence won't be snuffed out, in which case it doesn't sound like they'd need a bridging old-new EU type of story in the first place.

However you slice it, I feel that their announcement of SOTJ can only mean three things, broadly speaking.

1) They didn't know when they announced it.

2) They knew when they announced it but have reason to believe the EU won't be irreparably destroyed by the new films.

3) They knew when they announced it and have no idea about the damage the new films will do, but figure they can't just wait around publishing nothing for two and a half years, so they announced it anyway, and really aren't sure if they'll have to scrap it later.

The only option that implies they had enough of a heads up to plan something like these "unsubstantiated rumours" are suggesting is 2), which is also the option that suggests a radical story, on the scale of the Star Trek alternate timeline idea, wouldn't be necessary.

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    You forgot Paul S. Kemp's duology, Becca. That is still hypersecret (although it still seems to be in the 'forthcoming' category) -- and a duology would be a better bridgeover-work than any single novel to my way of thinking

7. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm still wondering if the ST might prompt the publishers to cancel Crucible and SOTJ, and any other books set in the NJO/Legacy era.

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I think it's generally 1 but with a healthy dose of 3. I don't see any reason not to pull through with those books unless they have really bad quality or the authors don't finish them in time, and I'd be surprised if hey didn't know these authors well by now.

The thing is, DR wants to sell. Maybe they'll market these books differently, but I wouldn't know how. Crucible actually wins thanks to the announcement, no matter how Infinities it'll end up. People will see those old guys that they keep hearing so much about in movie news. SotJ is more difficult - either it's "hey it's Jedi and we don't guess you'd care about the difference between Jaina Solo, Jax Pavan or Jaden Korr anyway" or they'll go the other route and sell it as the last hurrah of the EU started by Zahn in 1991, building on the fact that this is the final time you'll see a Zahn-invented character on the pages. Regularly, people tend to watch the final episode of a television show even if they know it'll be the last. Even more so if they know it's the grand finale - find out how these characters finally will rest in peace.

Addendum: Actually, Ep7 saves DR from doing SW with just the kid generation. We always asked for it, they never retired the old guys, now they can retire the young guys. Legacy fans should also love this, because even if you get no development of the Legacy backstory, you also get nothing contradicting it, like having 80 years of Jedi fighting Sith when it was supposed to be a quiet era.

While I guess that those books will be as unrelated to Ep7 as possible, I find the possibility of them being cancelled without anyone knowing any information except for "they were meant to be mindblowing and ultra-secret" extremely funny.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The story lined up, it just left unexplained what a certain character was doing for 25 years.

No, it does not.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree. It'd also allow an exploration of genres beyond space opera within the universe. You could have, like, Star Wars heist movies.

11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Oooh... and Star Wars spy thrillers! Star Wars space horror (Death Troopers says hi)! Star Wars musicals! [face_skull]
    ...totally serious about the former two, though. Now I just wish that the ST was over already so we could get to all the juicy bits :p

Ulicus likes this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    That one is actually the least of that movies problems, here are just some of the others

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/inconsistencies-trekxi.htm

It did, it made very clear that it happens in a very different time stream than the rest of Star Trek, if the same thing would have been done in an Episode, they would have just hit the reset on the end and went on with the program as usual.

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I like the idea of spinoff films. I remember when Joe Johnston I think it was proposed making a Boba Fett-centered movie, I was game for the idea. I think it would be great to get films like that, as they suggested the way they've made and continue to make various films about different Marvel characters. That's actually something I think The Clone Wars does right, giving us episodes focused on characters throughout the conflict rather than just Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka all the time. I'd certainly watch Star Wars films that aren't necessarily Skywalker or Solo-centered.

Slightly different situation, though. The new Trek universe is supposed to be an alternate timeline, like the mirror universe or the "Parallels" realities Worf kept jumping around in. For whatever reason, the time travel this time around creates a new timeline without destroying the old universe.

It seems to me that some are suggesting that if the new movies replace the post-ROTJ EU, we should only treat one or the other as canon, making the other Infinities. As some have suggested with The Clone Wars, the two universe wouldn't be meant to coexist. One would be the official one and one wouldn't.

14. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Which was announced so long ago, like, almost certainly before Lucas had even approached Disney, that I really struggle to believe that there's anything to the notion that this project has something to do with the new movies.

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    The problem with that is the EU will probably start trying to fit in with the ST.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    People, people, people... if there's one thing the sequels won't have any impact on, its Kemp finishing his duology. :p

[​IMG]

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Dark Side Kyle says **** your reboots

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    We should start a petition for Chuck Norris to do a cameo in the sequels as Kyle.

Zeta1127 and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Some of it does. What we see in the mind meld, however, is the Prime timeline. The film includes the official continuation of the Prime timeline and establishes what happened to Spock and Romulus after Nemesis. There is nothing "Infinities" about it. SW isn't Trek and doesn't dump its characters into parallel universes - but if it did, and that was the canon story of what happened to those characters, it wouldn't be "Infinities".

Congratulations - you've discovered the RLM of Star Trek. Have fun trying to figure out how a starship could get from the ground into space and pining away for the Reset Button universe.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm being completely and utterly serious when I say I want an animated Disney musical based on the OT more than anything else in the entire world.

It would be glorious.

ma_petite and beccatoria like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We should get Kyle to play Chuck Norris in the next Expendables movie.

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    From the Dark Empire '95 collection's Forward by Kevin J Anderson :

"When you read Dark Empire , or any of the other novels, remember that although Lucasfilm has approved them, these are our sequels, not George Lucas'. If Lucasfilm ever makes films that take place after Return of the Jedi, they will be George Lucas' own creations, probably with no connection to anything we have written."

Ignored the Prophesy, we have! :_|

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And we'll continue to ignore it. Welcome to De Nile.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    For the record, that is not a Shell Hutt. It is a regular Hutt in battle armor. Shell Hutts live in floating tubes, like repulsorlift snails. Both these things are neato, though.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Some day, I'll need to get around to drawing a full image of a Shell Hutt. The closest thing we have are the partial shots cowering behind the ever-awesome D'harhan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.