main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Awakens Hasbro Production List (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 7, 2015.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Rebelscum found a list of toys coming for 2015 for The Force Awakens - nothing specific but it gives you a nice idea of the assortment of items that will be flooding the shelves.

Click to Peruse.

Also it looks like they won't be previewing any TFA toys at Toyfair next month - I'm expecting they'll be at Celebration and Comic Con.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Gah! That's what I was afraid of. I do hope they at least preview the Ep. VII packaging art. I'd love to see them go the Kenenresque route, but I doubt they will.

3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    It's so hard not to get spoilers when these announcements attract your eye. Especially the action figures! Snow desert is a very interesting concept. Is it 12/18/15 yet?

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Dropped a spoiler warning in the thread title just to be safe, especially when more information comes out.

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    D'oh sorry!

There will be 6" figures too - there was a leaked pic w/ a few of the figures that came out that's still around if you hunt...like here.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No probs. :)

7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    As an addendum to this, I just saw an article on one of those Ep. VII spoiler sites that said their "source" says that the street date for Ep. VII merch is September 4th and that the packaging for the toys will heavily feature the character Kylo Ren (the cloaked character with the red lightsaber in the teaser). Seems a bit early, but obviously things are bound to be different with Disney in charge.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If they wait til the film premiere date it will be too close to Christmas. If the toys are in the stores in Sep it's more likely they'll be bought as gifts.

9. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That's a good point, but I was figuring maybe October. September 4th just seems a tad early. No complaints here, though.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Coming late to this party - just read the news about the 09/04/15 street date for TFA toys....Wow - can't believe these are coming out over 3 months before the film itself - I guess Hasbro wants parents to start buying Christmas toys early....This will be good for collectors, too, since they will have over three months of looking for these toys before the film hits...

The only specific street date I remember for a SW film in the past was Episode 1 - I think those toys came out May 3rd, 1999?! If that's correct, that's only a couple of weeks before the 5/19/99 date of the film's premiere...

What a difference 16 years makes...

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  11. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I seem to recall Ep. II and III merch hitting in late April or very early May. But I think--as LAJ_FETT said--the proximity to Christmas is probably what's driving this. If this were getting a traditional May release I doubt we'd see merch coming out in February or March.

Not only does this maximize their sales window, it insures they get first dibs on the prime real estate at retail a month or so ahead of the other toy lines jockeying for position. They also tend to reset stores post back-to-school (for Halloween), and this does retailers a solid by allowing them to coordinate that effort.

*-Can you tell I work in retail :p?

PadmeLeiaJaina and whostheBossk like this.
  12. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    A part of the reason Disney didn't want to have TFA released in December was because of the Merchandising - if the film comes out in Summer - you get the big wave of merchandise sales then - then they release the DVD at Xmas and get another big wave of toy sales right at Xmas. Harrison's injury allowed Abrams to get an extension. Disney is gambling that what they might lose in merchandising by not getting a double hit during the year they can make up for even bigger box office numbers w/ it coming out at Xmas instead when there'll be far less film competition than coming out in the summer.

Sept sounds about right for me for releasing the merchandise - they'll start heavily promoting the film and the merchandise release frenzys that will take place before the movie should only drive up demand to see the film.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I never thought about the fact that by not getting that Summer release they'll miss the double-dip on the merch, and of course the holiday DVD sales. Not that I'm worried they're going to starve or anything :p.

14. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2014
    Sept seems like a legit street date. I worked for Target for 10 years and they always set the toys for Christmas in late August.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm sure they will have a new trailer hitting cinemas/TV around the same time. Stores here start putting Christmas stuff out in Sep as well.

16. Philosoraptor

Nov 29, 2014
    Yeah, I think we will probably get a second teaser at the start of summer, then the first-full theatrical trailer in Sept/October.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    t is going to be an expensive year :)

Juke Skywalker and whostheBossk like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    One of these really got me curious in terms of, well, spoilers.

19. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

Disney already announced the full theatrical trailer hits May 1st with Avengers.

20. Philosoraptor

Nov 29, 2014
    I stand corrected then. I thought it was only a rumor but the sooner the better.

whostheBossk likes this.
  21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'm so on the fence over this movie. Mostly it stems from my overpowering dislike of JJ Abrams. I really hope the movie is good and that he creates worthy characters. I'm so far not planning on giving into the certain merchandise frenzy that will be coming. But I would be hard pressed not to get 1/6 scale Luke, Leia, and Han figures, particularly if Hot Toys does them and makes them amazing. If the female characters are good I might get stuff w/ them, but so far, I'm not planning to over extend my wallet.

I do like Rian Johnson who's directing the next 2 films so I'll begrudgingly follow this one just to get to those 2.

22. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I was hugely impressed by the TFA teaser trailer we saw the day after Thanksgiving last year, but after 1 1/2 months of musing over this, I'm not sure I'll like the film. Part of this is that I'm getting older, and just don't have the enthusiasm for the franchise I once did. I was in 1st grade when ANH hit theaters in May '77, and so like a lot of older fans on here the franchise was a huge part of my childhood....which continued into my adulthood. However, the ST seems like it's being directed more towards kids instead of us older fans, which is I guess how it should be...That being said, I will reserve judgement until I see the film.

However, will I want to collect the figures when they're out in September, before I even see the film?! Not sure yet...

Here are some thoughts on the line:

I wonder how heavily these will be produced/available?! We all know that toy aisles @ retail have been seriously shrinking in the last 10 years, so I know we won't see the amount of product that was out on May 3rd, 1999 to promote Episode 1....I doubt we will see 2002 Saga or 2005 ROTS #'s either.....I anticipate several rows of figures, but nothing huge....At one time TRU had the most product of any of the retail stores, but no longer - their aisles have shrunk, just like everyone else's....so, it seems all of the retail stores may have a similar amount of product...I guess we'll find out in 9 months..

I heard that TBS 3 3/4 are going up to $13 U.S. retail (and this has apparently already happened in some places) - so, does this mean that TFA figures will also be $13, or more? This higher price is a turn-off, and will definitely result in my being a lot pickier when buying figures - that is, if I collect TFA toys at all...

Will the TFA line just include figures from Episode 7, or will there be OT & PT figures scattered in there as well?

Will TFA figures be Super-articulated like some of the later lines (TVC, TBS, etc.), or just 5 Points of Articulation (POA) like POTF2? Again, this may make a difference as to whether or not I collect these.

I'm not collecting the 6" TBS line, but am still on the fence as to whether I'll get any TFA 6" figures...

I'm a Gwendoline Christie fan (which coincides with my being a huge Game of Thrones fan) since I've got a thing for tall women :D- and since she's going to be in TFA I may be onboard for a 3 3/4 and or 6" figure of her - even if I don't get anything else.

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I love Gwendoline as well. I'm looking forward to toys of her and of Lupito. I mostly just don't have the room for lots of stuff from the new films. If the film is good, I might get a few things but I don't plan to go overboard. Again - I think I'd rather just forgo the smaller stuff and focus just on any 1/6 scale figures that come out.

I think I could get behind merchandising for the standalones - say if they do a young Han Solo movie or a Yoda film, I'd be all over getting merchandise because you could focus on the main character which would blend nicely with existing collections.

I think I'm just rather seeing these films as a brand new EU - I've got some EU type collectibles, but they never will take over my own main focus which is collectibles based on the characters as they were represented in George's 6 films.

24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm in for the six inch sack figures for TFA for sure. If I enjoy the film, I'll probably go for some SS stuff as well. 3 3/4 figures however are going to be a stretch, and I may just do the figures that I find especially cool or worthwhile. I have so much to collect, and so little space.

25. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I'm down for the 3 3/4 inch and will limit what I get. But with the reports on how awesome this movie is, I will be hard pressed to pull back! Lets hope they keep small packaging and stay around the $6 range like they did for Rebels. They can always have BS too and charge $10-$13 if they want.