main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens in the Media!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Dragon D, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

=D= I speak only for myself Ganger, but thank you for reminding me of this. Not my finest today in this particular thread. [face_blush]

I was more annoyed with VF's handling of their own clickbait hype and my falling for it than anything else. Still, in the grand scheme of things, it is truly nothing.

2. TK327

TK327 Force Ghost star 4

May 7, 2001
    I suspect VF's hands were tied. Pretty sure JJ et al. said 'this is all you can show'. As we know, the Gwen pic leaked, leaving them with basically no recourse.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun too.
    Though to be honest, I did't even know the pic we got yesterday was the big photo reveal until later.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    honestly who cares to each their own, if some are happy with what we got then it's their problem and if some want more then again it's their problem. Nothing wrong with either one.;)

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Yes, that's what I've been thinking too. I'm over it.

I just checked my comic shop's advanced solicitations for April 2015 and they are supposively getting a bunch of Episode VII calendars in June (no imagery yet save the logo.) I wonder if those will indeed arrive then or be held back? since the novelization got pushed back to January... Perhaps that might be next wave that trickles out.

TK327 likes this.
  6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    He always looks good and is on good physical shape

7. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Disappointed but glad I didn't sign up for newsletter.

8. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
  9. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    LOL but not really want much more, just wanted something that's not ANOTHER Lupita mocap or character we already seen in the same scene.

10. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I really hate reading any articles about TFA, as so many take shots at the PT.

Take star wars day yesterday for example. The radio station I was listening to, the two people talking brought up star wars day and how awesome a day it is and how psyched they are for the new movie. Then went on to say how bad the prequels were and how kids don't like them either because of trade federations.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    But isn't it awesome that people in the general public are psyched about a new SW movie?

Dewback, Satipo, LANDO_ROCKS and 3 others like this.
  12. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Star Wars is the pinnacle of entertainment for a lot of people. Try to put yourself in the shoes of many big Star Wars fans who waited 16 years for new movies and didn't like them. It's probably hard to relate to if you loved the Prequel movies, I know. Maybe pretend they had techno soundtracks and cut off at the 85 minute mark. You'd mention that on your radio show too.

And then someone else would tell you how they're tired of hearing about techno is so bad and that 85 minutes fit so great...then people would call you a techno-hater, etc.

Dewback, Satipo and Artoo-Dion like this.
  13. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Yes the pictures are cool, but then again they're not stills from the movie.

I don't think variety is a very good source for insightful and thoughtful Star Wars articles that speak credibly about the entire saga of these movies.

Following and reminding everyone about what loud voice minorities in the media say about your subject in your articles takes away from that. How about interview fans. Variety could have walked the floor of Star Wars Celebration Anaheim and asked fans from ALL generations, all backgrounds, and all nationalities about their opinions and even insightful knowledge about all the Star Wars movies. People with jobs and professions of all types. That's journalism.

Seeher and Darth PJ like this.
  14. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Glad VF did this though, don't get me wrong. The main problem I thought was they hyped it up this big final picture like it was more amazing.

15. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I do find it funny how few in these forums are refusing to admit/acknowledge the true hate that Abrams clearly has for the prequels.

I'm not saying you, icqfreak. But it is funny how it seems like it's being ignored around here for the most part.

People who wanted Abrams to direct this thing seem to ignore his personal feelings regarding the PT.

Interesting.

16. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    This is either from the online article or the printed/published one that comes next week.

I'm not sure which.

17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I think "true hate" is a bit strong. It'd be fairer to say he doesn't see them as worth much consideration.

Dewback, Mungo Baobab and Satipo like this.
  18. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Not really, because there will be a lot of people at the cinema :p

To be honest, even your assessment is "too strong". Where has Abrams ever said that the Prequels are "not worth much consideration"?

Melancholy

Where has Abrams ever expressed "hatred" for the Prequels?

PymParticles likes this.
  19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    sorry - stacked post

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't think JJ rates the PT very highly. And I would say that's the same for most of his generation of film-makers. There's nothing wrong with that, and if fans only want directors and writers who love all six films, you're effectively limiting yourself to a fairly small pool of talent (Kyle Newman, Kevin Smith and Dave Filoni off the top of my head director-wise - Filoni should definitely get a shot at some point).

I don't think that will spread into any kind of negativity towards the PT onscreen though (nor should it). In terms of nods, if needed, they will most likely incorporate the PT era in as Rebels and the comics have (very successfully imo). And let's not forget that the PT is a crucial part of the saga, so when we feel Vader's legacy, Anakin's saber and the themes stretching down, that's not just the OT, that's the PT too. And we still don't know who Uber is - does he have links to the PT era? If done well, and it helps unify the saga, fantastic!

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Again, we don't know that either, how high or low Abrams rates the PT. He has never actually said. He prefers the Originals, the PT didn't hit him the same way ... these are the only things I've got from any passed comments he has made. And all of those are quite understandable. TPM got a different reaction from me to ANH too.

Regarding other directors, I don't think Lucasfilm should limit themselves to fans of the movies at all. I don't think a requirement for directing a Star Wars should be anything other than a respect for the material and an understanding of what it is all about. (I thought Kevin Smith was a major negative critic of the Prequels, no?) - a quick Google tells me no. So who am I getting him confused with? [face_thinking]

And regardless of how Abrams feels about the PT, TCW, OT, Rebels and Ewoks, he is not going to do anything but treat the whole lot of it with respect.

22. Platz

Platz Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2015
    You can submit your Star Wars themed photos to the Scoopshot app, via the Star Wars Day task and the best photos will be purchased by Disney for $10 USD to use to promote the new film! http://ow.ly/MnLVq

23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Agreed. Abrams was always very diplomatic about the PT and not so hateful like Garry Whitta. And that's a good sign that he will respect the PT even if he might dislike it. That's my point: Even if someone dislikes the PT, it is possible that he/she can respect their existence and fanbase. As I recall, Kieron Gillen, author of the Star Wars: Darth Vader comic series, said in an interview that although he dislikes the Prequels, he respects their story and worldbuilding. His comics are full of PT references like Coruscant, Geonosis, B-1 Battle droids.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, absolutely. I would imagine any comments from Abrams about the PT (or any other movie) would be constructive criticism -, for example, he could explain why he dislikes Jar Jar as opposed to "he sucks!!!".

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Confused about this statement from Iger. Certainly he means from now until September 4, right? It was just announced that the merchandise release date is September 4, so unless on that date we see scant material, I'm guessing Iger means through the summer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.