main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens is actually the first Anthology film

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dameron, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    The previous six Star Wars films were all officially titled in the format "Star Wars: Episode Roman numeral — Actual Name." The openings match: first "Star Wars" by itself, then the episode number and the actual movie name, in that order, to begin the crawl.

This latest one is officially titled in the format "Star Wars: Actual Name." The crawl might have the "Episode VII" (or it might not — could have sworn my showing didn't have it) but that does not change the fact that the official name of the film lacks it.

Some might suggest this change indicates that Disney simply dislikes the idea of sequel numbering climbing to 7, 8, 9, and beyond, perhaps because it might repel viewers who reject the idea of picking up a series with part 7. For instance, the MCU movies seem to be avoiding numbering any sequels above 3. This is small-mindedness! Gullibility! Or, more likely, deliberate cooperation with Star Wars' greatest hoax!

The Force Awakens lacks an episode number because it is not part of the sequel trilogy! It is the first Anthology piece: a Rey solo film. The Star Wars movie coming out in 2017, currently known as Episode VIII, is actually the first sequel trilogy movie, and will be officially renumbered VII when the big reveal comes, presumably some time immediately before or immediately after the release of Rogue One (which itself may be officially retitled Star Wars: Rogue One, to match the way Disney is doing the Anthology titles).

This grand lie adequately answers most story criticisms of The Force Awakens. Why is Luke benched and Leia reduced to a bit part? Why is the film so meticulous in hammering home the point of Rey's superiority? Why is so little of the galaxy drawn and so little new hardware seen? Why the awkward timeskip into a point in history too late to see Luke's first class, too soon to see his new one? Why is the only lightsaber battle a "Duel of the Noobs" in which one is crippled, the other two untrained, and no one dies? Why is it not explained why Ren hates Luke and Han? When we know the true nature of TFA, we'll be free to enjoy it for what it is, while understanding what it is not.

The Force Awakens probably comes soon before the real Episode VII. Between VII and VIII is also a possibility — that would line up with the real VII being about the rise and fall of Luke's first order, so between VII and TFA we get a full, infuriating rundown on all Ren's and Snoke's worst deeds before VIII arrives as "Luke and Rey Strike Back."

In closing, I would like to say this: anyone who disagrees with this theory — online or in real life — is either A.) a paid studio plant who in fact knows the truth, but is engaged in a massive campaign to hide the truth until it can be revealed at the moment of maximum profit potential, or B.) JJ Abrams.

Thank you.

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure the crawl says Episode VII. I could be "a" or "b" however.

Seriously though, growing up in the 80's, we never called ESB "Episode V" or ROTJ "Episode VI". The title sans the episode number is another nostalgic callback as far as I'm concerned.

DaddlerTheDalek and JonoLFC like this.
  3. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    It said episode VII.

Ghost, DaddlerTheDalek and JonoLFC like this.
  4. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    Does it? I could have sworn my showing didn't have it.

Guess they'll just take that off for the Blu-Ray, then.

Edited OP to acknowledge it.

5. jewlmc17

Jun 2, 2013
    Why would they take it off for the blue-Ray?

It's Episode VIII. The End.

B99 likes this.
  6. Argalin

Argalin Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    Seen it 5 times, Episode VII in the crawl every time.

Ghost and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Dudes... You're getting teased.

BTW, I'm too fat to be JJ. I'm Greg Grunberg.

8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I actually can't believe this is being discussed.

No. This isn't the first anthology film. You know how I know? BECAUSE IT IS CLEARLY DISTINCT FROM THE ANTHOLOGY SERIES IN THAT IT IS CALLED EPISODE VII IN THE CRAWL, IT IS BEING FOLLOWED BY EPISODE VIII, AND ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE SCRAP OF OFFICIAL INFORMATION CLEARLY AND UNQUESTIONABLY PUTS THE EPISODIC SAGA AS BEING DISTINCT FROM THE ANTHOLOGIES, WHICH ARE SO FAR STANDALONE AND WHICH BEGIN THIS YEAR WITH ROGUE ONE.

9. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

You want official information? Go to the official site. Go to the "movies" tab. Click on the little roman numerals. Each of the first six films has a page with the full title stacked up as "Star Wars/Episode No./Name. Go to the little VII, and what's underneath has nothing of the kind.

Go to IMDb. Look at the official names of the seven films.

The "Episode VII" is not in the title. This is not a main-series entry. It is not part of a trilogy.

10. jewlmc17

Jun 2, 2013
    Wow. You are really running with this aren't you?

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Every official source refers to the film as part of the main saga, a "sequel" and/or blatantly labels it "Episode VII".

We have rules against posting knowingly false information. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.