main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Force Awakens Novelization Thread (TFA SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Stymi, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015

If I do end up getting the junior novel, I'll definitely review it as well. I have reviewed the adult novelization already. Not a huge fan, but it had some good moments. I like Alan Dean Foster, but this book didn't do much for me. I have heard some good things about the junior novelization so I am curious to read it. Maybe I'll hold off until next week when Bloodline comes out and pick up both books at the same time.

I post a review every two weeks, so not super often (I don't have tons of time to read while I'm at school), and lately I've been trying to alternate between canon and Legends stories with every review. I posted a review of Lords of the Sith earlier today. My next review will be either the novelization of Empire Strikes Back, or the original Marvel comic adaptation of A New Hope. Haven't decided yet!

2. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Hope they keep Foster away from novelizations. It seems when he wrote this he just didn't take in the SW universe as a whole, and it felt very basic. No names of weapons, and the dialogue came off weird in how he reworked it (or else the original screenplay was like that?). I enjoyed it and will definitely read it again, but it just felt too shallow.

Vialco likes this.
  3. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I am very curious about this line ;
    So, Revenge is not the Kylo Ren's Dark Side way ? Or did First Order / Knights of Ren / Snoke made a new rule about the Revenge ?

Because Revenge is the most basic principle of the Sith, and even the name of the Episode III was ''REVENGE of the Sith.'' ....

Novelization of Episode III ;

Novelization of Episode I ;

Novelization of Episode V ;

Novelization of Episode VI ;

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Man, I can't believe Kylo Ren has the chutzpah to make fun of something as "adolescent".

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

You've got to admit, in the first half-hour or so, he seemed pretty deadly serious. His temper tantrum when the Falcon escaped Jakku started hinting at his true nature, of course.

Erkan12 likes this.
  6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Here's a weird fact I just learned about recently.

There's two different versions of the Junior novelization of TFA. The digital version and the print edition. They are different.

Here is something else I have not been able to personally verify but have seen a person talk about. I won't be able to verify it until I visit Books-A-Million or Barnes & Nobles and look at the print edition. Or someone else could do it for us.

Hypatia, Barriss_Coffee and Ghost like this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just finished the paperback, I has review:

We return to a very much changed galaxy far far away in this new era of Star Wars. The galaxy is at peace but there is war on the horizon. In The Force Awakens, various factors come together that tip the balance of power in the universe, and change the lives of the heroes of the Rebellion forever.

With any movie adaptation you have to make get the opportunity to flesh out the characters and events seen on screen, and Alan Dean Foster does well enough in that regard. He sets up the characters of Poe, Finn, Rey, and Kylo Ren, while also bringing the older heroes back into play. He describes most of the events pretty well, though at some points he goes into too much detail about one aspect and not enough detail about another. For instance, I felt he spent a bit too long developing life on Jakku, while barely giving a lot of focus to the later scenes on Starkiller Base. I did appreciate the extra development he gave to Rey and Finn especially, though. He took a bit getting them through the motions early on, but at least he did take that same time to really give us better insight into their actions. And then when Han and Chewie showed up I felt like he really nailed their characterisations.

I thought Foster did really well at capturing the feel of the universe once more. He described a lot of the new tech pretty well. I did like how he kept the surprise of the Falcon by barely describing it at first, though still dropping hints as to its true nature before Han identifies it. And thankfully whenever I did find his visual descriptions lacking I had the movie to refer back to. He did do the action sequences pretty well, despite changing a few minor details around. Speaking of which I did like the additional scenes he included, some of which had been filmed but also others that never made it past the scripting stage. There are a few scenes interspersed throughout that show what Leia and the Resistance were up to, which add a little context to the conflict throughout the story. There’s also an added segment which explains how Poe survived the crash early on, which I appreciated since we went so long in the movie without him- this at least created the expectation that we’d run into him again later on, rather than just accepting that he’d died and forgetting about him.

So yeah overall I think Foster did a really good job at adapting this first installment of the sequel trilogy. He nailed the character portrayals and all the necessary emotional beats, and he kept true to the source material while also expanding on it, if not exactly elevating it.

I give this an 8.8 out of 10 for sufficiently adapting The Force Awakens and keeping true to the feel of Star Wars. Of course that shouldn’t have been too difficult for the man who basically invented Star Wars novels. :p

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  8. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Just a much belated follow-up to my post above, that scene does exist in the print edition of Kogge's Junior TFA novel. I found the passages within the book at the book store quite some time ago but forgot to mention it.

Also, it was announced yesterday that Kogge is also doing The Last Jedi junior novelization.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Finished the novelization (Hey, I waited for paperback and I'm slow) and I liked it mostly due to what some people were complaining, Foster's descriptions of the events of the film. While he may over-explain some things, and other bits he must be dipping deep into the thesaurus, I did like how he has a wry sense of humour about the proceedings which befits Star Wars (a description of Rey's day being tedium broken up with sheer panic to stay alive was good). While he doesn't add much new, although I did notice some mention on the Finalizer of Psychic Corps or something scary like that, there are a few bits where Kasadan / Abrams dialogue ends and what I assume is Foster's begins. Some things work well, like Kylo gets in a little monologue about the ethos of the First Order which is pretty cool, and I liked the in-depth description of the destruction of the Hosinan system. Hard to tell what is all Foster, though, because there is a lot of deleted scenes that worked their way into here (which I saw on the blu ray and apparently the 3D blu ray release had even more deleted scenes). Still, huge excitement for opening with a Journal of the Whills quote, that was a great callback to the ANH novelization.

One part that sticks in my head as to how Foster did it was the description of Han's death, while Abrams had that wonderfully heartfelt tragic moment of Han caressing Kylo's face as Williams music swelled, that isn't included in the novelization (probably not in the script and I believe Ford came up with it on set). So there's a moment of ... forgiveness from Han, that he still loves his son. Foster takes it in completely the other direction and doubles-down on how dark it is, like Ben is smiling at him and Han is just looking on in horror, confused and then dead. It's harsh but that is another way to play it.

the pace of the novel is a little odd, it takes forever (maybe 100 pages!) for them to get off Jakku but the 3rd act Starkiller Base stuff is, like, maybe 30 pages or so (I remember the Revenge of the Sith novelization was kind of like this where the 3rd act doesn't take as much page count as the Invisible Hand assault which takes, like, a third of the book). And Rey's walk to Luke is, like, 2 pages barely. But still dramatically powerful and I like the final line Foster ends on "She wondered what would happen next."

There is a moment where Rey meets Poe which is almost exactly like in their first meeting in The Last Jedi, maybe it was cut from TFA and they moved it to TLJ but ended up here. May be a bit of a brain-strainer as to how to reconcile it with their meeting in Last Jedi but I took a stab at it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Vialco likes this.
  10. Chris Werms

Chris Werms Jedi Padawan

Aug 2, 2017
    This only really crossed my mind today because the novelization is $2 for Kindle - same price as the digital short story contained within - but it did make me laugh. I know most people consider his thesaurus-rivaling prose pretty bad, but honestly, I thought it was funny at some points. Anyway.

Remembering some of the details, like "it is you!" on Starkiller Base, makes me almost want to revisit this novel to see how much my views on TFA will have changed since it was written compared to now, post-Last Jedi.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    TLJ novelization should be better. Jason Fry is writing it

12. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    A bit (a lot?) of necroposting here, but wasn't it to be expected that they were going to be part of the high class of the New Republic and thus live in apartments of Coruscant? (like Padme did in ROTS) E.g. I love the dinner at the beginning of Betrayal, it really sets the tone for a new era, both in terms of the setting and of what gets discussed there.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The scene in Betrayal was and remains one of my favourite in the entirety of Legends, so.

14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

And after watching Knives Out by Rian Johnson you can really appreciate dysfunctional family dinners... heck Knives Out is like LOTF, dinner with everyone pretending at first, then minor issues, then knives out and all at each others throats. Total war!

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I finally read this in the lead-up to ROS's release. I went in with weirdly mixed expectations- excited to read ADF adapting a SW film again (and under his actual name, finally!), but with trepidation stemming from my sinking opinion of the film as time has progressed- in combination with the lack of excitement found in ADF's other SW novel, The Approaching Storm (even if I appreciated the single-planet focus and some of the character development in that title). I was also pretty certain it wouldn't be able to rise to the heights of the ROTS and TLJ novelizations (simply due to how new the era was in terms of material to draw upon and it preceding the more prominent "Expanded Edition" efforts with some of the subsequent novelizations). I kind of expected a mostly straight-forward adaptation, basically.

I came away from it pleasantly surprised. The book elaborates on many aspects of the film more often than I had expected- and adds several character scenes and moments not found in the film (or, as far as I can tell, shot and deleted from the film). A scene where Threepio talks to a sleep-mode Artoo and the conversation leads to Threepio making a breakthrough with how to find BB-8 through his droid spy network is pretty outstanding and would have been an incredible little moment in the film.

Others are more plot context, such as mentioning the Imperial archive data relationship to the map to Luke, or how Poe woke up/survived on Jakku, or how the FO found the Illeenium system and that Hux was actually reluctant to destroy the entire system due to the number of habitable worlds without a Resistance Base on them that could have been used by the FO (amusingly it is also referred to as the D'Qar system by Rey's thoughts later on, despite her already knowing the proper name)

The one real fault of the novel (and this could simply be the result of the script and performance evolving, but is, still, a result in the book itself nonetheless) is that Kylo Ren's expanded dialogue is just awful. It reads more like an evil Threepio unit- I can't picture those strings of words in such extended sentences being spoken by Kylo. It feels more like an Auralnaugts Reimagined version of Kylo laying on extensively unnecessary dialogue and exposition. But that doesn't hurt the book terribly, since Kylo isn't really in the movie that much to begin with- so you only get that annoyance in a few secenes spaced across the book.

We also get an opening quoting the journal of the Whills, which brings things full circle nicely. And, weirdly, this is the first time it really clicked with me that the opening crawl, even in the movie, refers to "the last Jedi", though Kylo says the phrase during a convo with Snoke later as well. We also get further confirmation that BB-8's gesture was definitely a thumbs-up ;).

It fits nicely into the field of most of the SW movie adaptations and maybe adds a bit more flavor than some of them, just not as much as the best of them. I'd say this one falls nicely in the good-to-above good range and go with 8.5/10.

Ranking NU Adult Novels so far:
    -The Last Jedi 10.0
    -Catalyst 9.5
    -Last Shot 9.0
    -Canto Bight 9.0
    -Alphabet Squadron 8.75
    -Lords of the Sith 8.5
    -The Force Awakens 8.5
    -Phasma 8.25
    -Bloodlines 8.0
    -Aftermath: Empire's End 7.75
    -Aftermath: Life Debt 7.5
    -Tarkin 7.0
    -Aftermath 7.0

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@The2ndQuest

Kylo's speech about the First Order is weird

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "I regret the necessity. They are gratuitous in my presence. But those others who have made your acquaintance possess only the most primitive abilities, and further defiance on your part would demand unnecessary exertions. None of this unpleasantness need be necessary."

In ADF's defense, if Kylo wasn't well defined in terms of performance or character yet, I could see how the above might work for dialogue for Vader. So he might have been trying to write Kylo as if he was Vader (or, at least, Vader in certain circumstances). I don't think it'd be great Vader dialogue, but it wouldn't feel out of character.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I was thinking more this quote but I can see that

"It is the task of the First Order to remove the disorder from our own existence, so that civilization may be returned to the stability that promotes progress. A stability that existed under the Empire, was reduced to anarchy by the Rebellion, was inherited in turn by the so-called Republic, and will be restored by us. Future historians will look upon this as the time when a strong hand brought the rule of law back to civilization."

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That last bit throws me a little. The rest I could kinda hear him saying in his speech pattern. But he's not that big a fan of history and the past and unlikely to be eschewing the FO's political ideals, so it feels more like a Hux line.

20. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I have a question: when the Jakku scouts found Poe's demolished x-wing, it didn't occur to anyone that he may not have BEEN IN the x-wing when it exploded? They didn't want to take the chance of him being alive somewhere on Jakku? I know this isn't in Poe's character, but I wouldn't have blamed him if he felt a little bitter that absolutely everyone thought he was dead just because of the demolished x-wing and no sign of his body.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The First Order does not encourage its troops to think, that leads to all kinds of trouble....

22. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    I was actually talking about the Resistance. Leia hadn't heard from Poe so she sent a few people to Jakku, where they discovered Lor San Tekka dead and Poe's x-wing demolished.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, sorry, yeah, they should know better. Certainly the 'no body' rule.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh man the TFA the novelization...The most bizarre of the Sequel Novels.