main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens shallow?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by OldTimeFan, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    I am not for one moment saying it was not a good movie nor am I attacking it as such.
    I love all the Star Wars movies so far and there are flaws in them starting with Return of the Jedi I hate the Ewoks.
    The Prequels have their faults which have been explored to death.
    Being honest I can point to any major surface flaw in the new movie but I feel that it lacks depth in a number of ways.

Watching the Original trilogy each new installment gave us new information that really sucked us into the story.
    In the prequels we got to see the Republic and Original new planets and ships and transports and creatures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is only visuals I can post but there was so much depth and mystery in the first six Star Wars movies that people keep asking questions and debating them on forums like this.
    I am not saying that those moves were perfect what I am saying is the new movie lacks the depth of the others and I feel this is down to no longer having the vision of George Lucas.
    I will admit the new movie as a renewed energy but not the depth.

Jensaarai-defender likes this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    There's plenty of threads for this. Also, pictures of lovely landscapes aren't an illustration of depth in any sense whatsoever - that's just not what depth means.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  3. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    I am posting this is a positive way I hope there are some risks taken in Episode 8.
    I can accept that The Force Awakens has trust renewed energy into the franchise but I hope following movies can put a bit of meat on the bones.

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not even sure I know what you mean by "depth". New designs? Worldbuilding?

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    that's all very well OldTimeFan but everything you've said has been discussed at length in other threads

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  6. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Well getting to see the politics of the Galaxy and some population centers helped us understand the scale of things.
    We got to understand some of the workings of the worlds shown.
    The fact the Padme was an elected ruler and that Palpatine was a senator for her world.
    The story had depth that went over the head of many children watching it.

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    again, not a single one of those examples is "depth", by a reasonable definition of it.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Right. Worldbuilding.

TFA has about as much worldbuilding as ANH or ESB. It's all in broad suggestive strokes. It's not "shallow", it just doesn't clobber you with exposition.

See also: Mad Max: Fury Road.

Darth Nave and Strongbow like this.
  9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I, for one, hope they manage to keep the story focused the adventures of Our Heroes. IMO, the PT tried to do too much, and as a consequence, things got a bit muddled. I think The ST should follow the model of the OT: give of us tidbits and threads to pull on and wonder ab out (and explore in other mediums, like books), but keep the narrative of the film focused on the story being told. That was a strength of TFA, IMO, not a weakness. It had very little of people sitting around expositing, and that's a good thing, IMO.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    As stated, redundant and does not require its own thread.

EHT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.