main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Force Awakens strategies. And tips.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Pancellor Chalpatine, Dec 12, 2015.

?

Got specific plans or tips for people?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't decided yet.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pancellor Chalpatine

Pancellor Chalpatine Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2015
    What are your Star Wars the Force Awakens strategies? By that I mean what do you have planned?

Will you be totally spoiler free?

How early will you be at the theatres? (To avoid getting a bad seat)

Are you aware of the cosplay bans?

If you have tips to help people get the best viewing experience, please share it here. We fans need to stick together you know :3

My tip to people is don't come with a lightsaber or blaster because people have banned it, it'll put a damper on your experience..

Tip #2- Make sure to get there EARLY IDK how early you should go, I'll be like 30 minutes early, because I don't want to be forced to sit next to a baby or something.

If you ordered tickets online, like I have and you probably have...make sure you have tickets printed out and your email handy on your phone. I have never done buying tickets online so I'm bringing both so I don't have some incompetent screw me over.

Oh yeah, and a media blackout. From the early screening to when I'm at the theatre I'll be off the internet so nobody spoils stuff for me . (14th- 17th if you wanna do the same, and you probably should)

So what are your plans/ strategies and tips? Share em here. Let's make sure nobody has something damper the experience. I know I want mine perfect.

Dagobahsystem and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, not much of a strategy, but I'm having a three-day marathon of the films. Monday: Ep1-3; Tuesday: Ep4-6, and then TFA on Wednesday. Then, to cap it off, I'm having a party with Star Wars themed drinks on Wednesday night. It's gonna be a great week!

Depends on your definition, but yeah, I hope to be as spoiler free as possible.

Probably about five, ten minutes before the showing. But I already have my seat booked so.

No cosplay bans here.

Waay ahead of you - got my tickets printed the day they were released - just to be on the safe side :)

Agreed there!

Honestly?
    Try to go into the movie with an open mind. If your expectations are too high, you will end up disappointed. If your expectations are really low, it might make you become pleasantly surprised, but it might also make you look for things to complain about. Leave the nitpicking for freeze framing the DVD ( ;) ). Try to look at it like you look at most movies - with reasonable expectations.
    And try to have fun! No need to get stressed out about getting to the showing in time, getting a good seat, etc. It's a movie we're all looking forward to, and have been looking forward to for many years - make sure you enjoy yourself while seeing it for the first time :)

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I'll be ensuring that I have an empty bladder. The last thing I want to do is to have to leave at a critical moment.

anakinfansince1983 , Lazy K and Gus X like this.
  4. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    All great points, your county's lucky enough to get it before the rest of the world, it's unfair but I hope you enjoy it! At least it's not a big month gap like some country had for ROTS a decade ago....

The empty bladder thing...yeah really good point! Just wish my theatre had reserved seating. Then again I've no clue where to sit. Worried about being to close or to far, but being in the middle leads good chance of being around at least one nimrod.

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, tell me about it! The Phantom Menace was released on August 19 in Sweden (and August 19 was the first day of school after the summer, so I wasn't allowed to see it until the next weekend, just to make it even worse :p ). Thankfully those days are behind us, and films get released at around the same time everywhere nowadays. Most of the time we get movies a few days (sometimes even a week or two) before the US, but I really have no idea why that is. Certainly seems unfair!

Sorry about going off topic!

6. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm trying to be as spoiler free as possible. I've only seen the first 2 trailers. Accidentally glanced at a couple things, but I've tried to 'forget' that as much as I can. After the 2nd trailer release at Celebration, I stopped watching things. I only really watched the bits of the panel at celebration with Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams.

There was a message when I bought my tickets that lightsabers, blasters and masks would be banned from the theater.

I have the email from when I bought my tickets, and I had the theater text me the tickets too. And just to be absolutely sure I'm going to print them out too. Its about a 2.5 hour trip to get to the theater I'm going to. I'm not sure right now how early I'll get there. Not sure how early I need to, since I have reserved seats.

If you're worried about people blurting things out, wear noise canceling headphones plugged into your phone or mp3 player.

I've been listening to episodes of the Force Cast and Rebel Force Radio from 2012/2013 to keep myself in a Star Wars mood. I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm planning to listen until they get to the point of making the official cast announcement. I figure it should be pretty spoiler free until then. If you want to watch the trailers again, go to the post in NSA for the trailer. That way you just see the trailer and none of the other videos that are to the side on YouTube.

If you have to go to Walmart, you can cut through the store to avoid the video game/movie and toy areas. I've been to a couple Walmarts, and this works in both of them. It also seems like the magazines are a bit less prominent in the self checkout.

I started re-watching everything Star Wars a couple months ago. TPM & extras, AOTC & extras, TCW series & movie, ROTS & extras, ANH SE and original, ESB SE and original, and then ROTJ SE and original.

After tomorrow, I think I'm going to go offline completely except for email. That leaves me with DVDs, Netflix and video games....which should be plenty to keep me out of trouble until the 21st.

7. Padawan Coalesce

Padawan Coalesce Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 1999
  8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    A great many things...
    Other than trailers and official info, no. That includes actively seeking out the commercials. The ones that pop up on TV don't count!
    I think my brother and I will be there at least an hour ahead of time, and I already know the seats we want.
    I wasn't surprised, but then again, I'm not nerdy enough to dress up as a Star Wars character to a movie.
    I still say that fans should wear headphones while still in line, and wait until the last possible moment to take 'em off. I'll be indulging in some Star Wars music while waiting!

At the theatre my brother and I like to go to, there's a set of two seats on the side, above the entrance. No one in front, so it's easy to stretch out. Oh, and if you're at my showing, good luck finding that seat!

Has anyone printed up the thing, and gone to the theatre to redeem their tickets ahead of time? I wonder if that'd be a smart idea, I could even do it the day before to save time on the 17th.

I'm going dark on the 16th, you're much more dedicated than I am. Does that include the NSA forum? I won't be on until the moment I get home from the theatre.

9. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Got reserved seats, so I'm not going to show up too early. There are cosplay rules at the theater I'm going to, but my costume is already within their guidelines, so I'm good there. I'm mostly spoiler free, but I'm going in a pretty large group, so barring some idiot just showing up at the theater and shouting as loud as he can, I think I'm going to be safe.

And to be quite honest, the theater I'm going to is kind of in the ghetto - I can imagine if anyone did try spoiling the movie, he wouldn't get much out before it ended badly for him.

10. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Man everyone is lucky enough for reserved seatings accept me XD

I wouldn't wanna cosplay, the closest I have to cosplay is owning a Jedi robe, and that's for bedtime and walking around my house. But people should be allowed to. You tell a rational person not to bring a blaster to avoid a shooting, I'm pretty sure the gun shooting nut job won't say "I was gonna shoot up a theatre, but doing that is against the rules, so now I won't do it."

I'll be wearing a Kylo ren shirt. I'll sit somewhere near the middle. Also gonna need a lot of candy cause I'll be seeing a 11 o'clock showing at least once, which means I won't leave til past 1 am. It'll be worth it.

I'm only on my PC and xbox for this forum (because it's spoiler free) and my DVD's. People are mad at me for saying I'm ignoring everyone til the movie is out. I don't care though, I just through quotes at em. "You don't know the power of my obsession! I MUST remain spoiler free!"

Friend- YOU WON'T BE OFF BATTLEFRONT FOR MORE THEN A DAY!

Me-I find your lack of faith disturbing....

I don't have headphones, and when I wear them I'm unlucky enough people wanna talk to me. Complete strangers. I'm not anti social, but I like to avoid talking to people in my area, I don't get along with them. I'm afraid if I even get headphones, either it won't block out noise or people will wanna talk to me, I just wanna rush past people, get in my theatre and hug the screen <3

Also my theatre doesn't let you have physical tickets if you bought it online, it's security issue -_- Welcome to 2015 people. Tickets are now weapons.
    I'm also selfish enough that when I'm bringing my family I'll be in the middle of my mom and dad. It lowers the odds of sitting next to somebody who wants to talk to you during a movie. Because you know, why wouldn't I pay 16$ for a movie only not to watch it? Hmph.

11. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    WTF?!

12. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. My theatre bans
    cosplay
    toys
    holding your ticket for more then 30 minutes, if they even let you have a ticket (online buyers aren't permitted tickets to prevent any incident)
    heavey jackets
    wallet chains
    high heels
    glasses cases
    Hats (accept for winter hats as they don't have the bar that blocks sunlight. apparently that can be a weapon)

My theatre is run by paranoid nuts. It's a regal cinema.
    I have the list printed out so I know what to make sure I and my party doesn't have so nobody is kicked out for what they literally refer to as "terrorism". All this because of one gun shooting 2 years ago. -_-

13. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    That's insane!
    Here, you're not allowed to talk on your phone - other than that, they don't really care.

Well, obviously you can't bring weapons - but I'm absolutely sure they wouldn't care if someone came in a Stormtrooper costume, carrying a blaster.

14. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I like the phone thing, my theatre doesn't have a rule against it, but before the movies it gives you a message asking you nicely to. The manager is cool, though. The ushers refuse to remove people who talk on the phone, but if you complain he'll give you tickets as compensation. The rules are dumb though. All of America is still worried over movie theatres cause some shooting well over a year ago, I have 3 friends on xbox who aren't allowed to see movies anymore because of it. My one friend had his car taken away for buying a star wars ticket. 0.o
    I mean if someone's crazy enough to hide a real gun in a toy gun, they are gonna do it another way.

One cool thing though- They don't re use the 3D glasses, they literally throw em out for recycling! So when that thing's full I'm gonna see if I can just take a bag full of em XD They're collectable glasses of star wars used only once, we can keep em or ""help the environment" I vote keeping mine and taking ones people don't want. Seams like a huge freaking waste to me. I mean they're gonna be collectables in the future.

15. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005

Where do you live? Just curious if it's more the locale or the theater itself. I've been to Regals in the past and don't remember any issues.

Also there have been at least two high profile theater shootings (Colorado and Louisiana) so I can understand their desire to make sure their customer feel safe.

16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, wasn't there a shooting at a Fury Road screening earlier this year?

17. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    I have no idea if there was a shooting in my state at ANY theatre in the last decade. I live in Pennsylvania, my Regal has all these rules ever since a shooting about two years ago was big on the news.

IDK about Furry road, or where that even is, but lately everyone's over the top paranoid about theatre shootings and college shootings. All I know is I'm obeying my theatres rules to the T because they'd need an ARMY to take me out of my seat. To each their own but I won't be scared at the theatre over if I'll get shot. It's like a plan crash, people freak out over the 1 in 1,000 times it happens, but it's still extremely safe. If someone wants to pull out a gun in my theatre I'd be happy. I'll KO whoever he/she/they are, get free tickets for being a hero and can see the movie even more. :)

Also it's hard to hate life when you're at the screening for a new star wars movie I mean...come on....come on...it's so ..beautiful, it's so close, and yet so far away! Longest three days in the history of man!

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Fury Road is a movie that came out earlier this year. Full title is Mad Max: Fury Road.

Apart from that, yeah, no need to be worried. Paranoia is more dangerous than both going to the movies and going on an airplane.

19. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Ahh, I see. Haven't heard of that movie but I agree. Paranoia is dangerous,and you can't live your life in bubblewrap. It's better to be safe then sorry, but there's a limit.I mean there's more car crashes then plane crashes but you can't live your life in fear. Then you're not living, you're just alive.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  20. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Let me see my world is getting smaller and smaller. I am no longer on Facebook, Youtube, or Instagram. More people will see this film as the days go forward. Here in the USA, we have to wait till Thursday whereas other parts of the world get it 24 hours earlier. This means that I will have to perhaps restrict even coming on here after today.

That being said... here is my response to your topic..

• I would say that I am 99.99% spoiler free as to the story.
    • I am about 60% spoiler free as to the characters (I know some names but only first names and have no clue as to their role except of that of one female character)
    • I would say that I am 90% spoiler free on official media materials. I have seen the 2 teaser trailers but not the 3rd final nor any of the TV spots. I have seen the first teaser poster, IMAX poser and only briefly gazed at the official poster. I have seen quite a bit of production stills and trailer screenshots. None of which have been by choice.

I have assigned seats on Thursday (7pm showing). I will get there about an hour and 15 minutes early because that theater also has a full dinner and drinks menu. I will be with my son so I will not partake in alcohol but I like taking my seats early and enjoying the time before. For this show, I will have my headphones on the WHOLE time and will be blasting Christmas music in my ears. I will be instructing my wife and son that if they want to "talk" to me, it will need to be via Whatsap or text. I had AoTC spoiled for me by some nimrod while I was in line.

After the 7pm show. We also have tickets for the 10:30 show which will be in the same theater. When the movie is over, I will be watching as much TV spots and trailers as possible in the dead time between shows.

The next day at 10am. I have IMAX 3D tickets. For that, I will get there about 30 minutes early.

I did not ask the theater. I do not plan on dressing up.

If you do not have assigned seats get there EARLY. Like 2 hours or more depending on the amount your city's movie screens and it's anticipation level. Where I am, there are plenty of showings but almost all at the first showing are already sold out. Friday evenings and Saturday will be a nightmare if you do not have assigned seating and you wait the day of to get tickets.

When the big Fandango crash happened, I got out of bed and went to the theater to get physical tickets. For the other show (at 1030), I ordered online, BUT I went to the theater yesterday and got a PHYSICAL ticket. This way I do not have to wait in line at all. The guy at the desk said that even if you buy your tickets online, that you would still have to wait in line to redeem them. That to me almost defeats the purpose. SO, if you can (I know some of you are driving hours away), go pick up your tickets ASAP. That way, any line you are in is to determine the quality of your seat.

I am trying but it is hard ;-)

21. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Terrific response, I myself live in a area where people have started FIST FIGHTS with me for wearing star wars because it's nerdy, it's a uncool thing so I'm not to worried about a lot of people being their. There's surprisingly a lot of tickets left accept at the 7 o'clock showing. I'll have to ask about if my theatre makes me redeem the tickets too, that'd be stupid. I agree it defeats the purpose. I prefer a physical ticket, that way I can hold and collect it rather then a silly print out. I hope it has a star wars picture on it.

I unfortunately live in the USa too so I have to wait til the 17th, and I missed the 7PM showing thanks to bad servers, however I'm seeing it 7/11 showings. One is 3D and the other is normal with family members. I also saved up "any time " regal theatre tickets specifically for star wars. Three of em so I can see it at least 7 times total already. Assuming the family is still onboard for a XMAS showing :)

I'll be at the theatre maybe a half an hour early for both, because once the 8pm showing is done the 11 pm show is like 45 minutes away. Great idea getting your ticket early, I think people should do that to be safe. I do think this forum is 99% safe as it's the spoiler free area. Unless some no life troll signs up and spoils stuff, which is unlikely but I think I wanna play things safe. There's so many hours of the movies, TV shows to binge to hold me off while offline, as much as I love the internet and use it daily it doesn't have a hold on me :) You made some really, really good points. I hope people see it and benefit from it.

And in case I'm not back til AFTER the movie is seen by me, I hope EVERYONE here enjoys the movie, stays spoiler free. :) May the force be with you all, my fellow Star Wars die hard fans:)

Gus X likes this.
  22. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Thanks, man. And thanks for your post. I got a lot of ideas from the posts here. This chat room has been really fun - a sanctuary, if you will.

One thing I do to avoid that one in a million jerk that tries to spoil is that when I see a new post, I NEVER open it unless it is at least 10 minutes old. That gives the moderators time to come in delete it. They do an amazing job. Now there is an exception, if I see a person whom I am familiar with (like yourself ;)), then I go ahead and open it up.

Have fun and be sure to post back and/or tag me so I can see what your reaction is.

23. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Will do, I'm glad I helped someone, you definitely helped m. I'm having someone pick up the tickets right now and who knows how it would have been if I had to wait in line, might have missed a good seating minimum. So thanks for the heads up. When I see the movie we need to go to the spoiler thread and talk about it, it's gonna be an amazing movie!

Gus X likes this.
  24. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Good deal! Tomorrow will be brutal. The shroud of the Dark Side will be everywhere. Looking forward to finally being able to not censor what I see.

25. Pancellor Chalpatine

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah but a day off the internet isn't the end of world, a simple first world problem really. We've got roughly 48 hours to kill until then, I'm currently watching episode 6 after watching 3 then 5 then 4 all in a row. Little Mario kart 8. And sleep the rest of the night to maybe empire again. Tomorrow I'll just watch the saga and maybe some clone wars, doesn't matter. But the 17th is also needed for blackout time, until the movie starts I'm not going to the news, my inboxes or anything. France gets it tomorrow (Because Disney hates the world apparently) so spoilers will be 277% more likely to pop up. Remember that my friend :)