main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer - Thoughts and Observations

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sterling3763, Nov 28, 2014.

1. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    No teaser at the hobbit HRF showing. They showed just about every other teaser, however.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ... and there was no TFA teaser shown before it. :(

3. Mandara Domak

Mandara Domak Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2014
    What puzzled me in the trailer is to see the Empire is still there as the villain seemingly opposing the Rebellion despite they're supposed to have been vanquished after Endor. I really liked the new lightsaber design it brings some refreshment like the snow environment which kinda add a dark aura to the villain. Looking forward to see the Trailer

4. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    This was the ending when RotJ was the end of the Saga. Now it's no longer the end. Therefore, Empire was badly beaten during the Battle of Endor but not permanently defeated.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Mandara Domak

Mandara Domak Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2014

If that's so then the question is: who's in the command ? I highly doubt the whole structure rests on the shoulder of the hooded figure in the teaser but I can be mistaken. I don't have the impression they're gonna follow Zahn's novels despite taking some inspirations (Luke, Leia & Han getting married and having children). Bringing back Palpatine/Darth Sidious would be quite redundant even though he was very good villain maybe they can create a new Darth Vader-ish character! I dunno like played by Andy Serkis ?

6. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Don't know who's ruling what's left of the Empire. Will have to wait until that info leaks or until the film comes out. My guess is a Moff probably filled the spot of Emperor. If they're even still ruled by an Emperor. All that's for sure is the faction that was known as the Empire in the OT is still around in some form and still fighting. They were beaten but obviously not defeated.

7. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Mandara Domak said:
    If the president or leader of a country dies it doesn't usually end a war. Massive loses of life or when the opposing force occupies a territory usually ends a war. Guerrilla warfare tends to last longer because the smaller force strikes and then hides. The OT was Guerrilla warfare. I think what we are going to see is The Empire continuing to crumble. The rebellion getting stronger. The awakening might bring forth someone or a group so dangerous that The Empire and Rebellion might have to fight together to stop it. ROTJ was tied up nicely because the two most evil forces in the galaxy was gone. It implied the rebels turn the tide and the war was over but it never said or really showed that the war was over.

8. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013
    Thank you Darth_Zidious, that's them.

I think so. Probably the same village the stormtroopers land on in the trailer... That's actually why I wanted to look at these pics again lol

9. Luke the Oneironaut

Luke the Oneironaut Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I didn't pick up on it before, but before Serkis' character speaks, there's a great deal of wind blowing. This doesn't appear to line up with the Tatooine shot of Finn, and moreso wind effects are usuall applied to cold locations in film. I reckon the wind is from the same scene in which Serkis' is asking someone if they've felt the awakening. This character is in a very cold place, say, near where Kylo Ren is seen in the trailer.

Plus the sound of wind cuts out after Serkis speaks, and you can still hear the sounds of his panting and a probe droid which presumably is in the scene.

10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    If the head of state/leader is killed or captured during military conflict/war, our own history shows us that it usually spells the end of that particular regime/power... Be that the Naploionic wars, Nazi Germany, the Gulf War etc. etc. So I think the more pertinent question is do the stormtroopers in the trailer belong to another regime that is not the Empire? Perhaps this is the military hardware that the antagonists are exploiting post the galactic civil war? So we have the iconography of the Empire without it necessarily being the Empire itself? I'd be much happier with that situation rather than JJ/Lucas trying to tell us the war never ended... We'll see...

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It's possible, but I'd imagine that those sounds are effects as opposed to it actually being on Serkis' dialogue track I.e. whatever sound you are hearing that isn't a Serkis' voice has been added for effect.

12. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I went and saw the Hobbit tonight, not knowing the trailer would show before it. I squealed just a little bit when I heard the music and saw the desert opening, in IMAX 3D no less! It's amazing how after seeing it dozens of times, it still gave me goosebumps and put a wide smile on my face. No telling how I'll react to the actual film in less than a year...

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Knowing Lucas, there is some kinda biker or junker gang on Tatooine and we'll see podracing or some big chase through the desert of some sort.

Immortiss and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  14. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    A classic I hope just like the one on TPM

15. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    I hope that we see a new side of Tatooine here, just like TPM did. I wouldn't like to see a retread of the podrace. If we're going to be returning to everyone's favorite desert planet, they'd better be adding something new to it.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  16. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Beggar Canyon :D

17. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
  18. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    Or maybe the sides merely flipped. The remnants of the "old empire" have become the new Rebels of sorts. Battling the formation of a new republic.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am getting behind the speculation that their power base is "split", with the Republic being in the midst of reestablishment outside of the Empire's control, one system at at time.

TheBBP and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Anything is possible but a galaxy at war is a much larger scale war than a war between countries. News of the Emperor's fall would cause another leader to emerge. Their probably would be some civil war to fill the power void. If the rumors are true and Luke has been gone for many years that would have an effect on the Rebellion as well. The Rebellion after Endor would have to go on a massive offensive. They would have to retake many planets and eventually raid Corusant. One might say hey, weren't they celebrating on Corusant? Yes, but weren't they celebrating when Saddam fell? Yes, but that war continues as well. I don't think the Empire will be as strong as it was in the OT. With the force having an awakening I think the Empire and the Rebellion will be knee deep in the Sith! I have a feeling the rule of two is going out the window. The Rebellion will have to get Luke back to win the war.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I think a precedent may have been set for how this works in everyone's beloved prequels. The "independent" systems were once part of the larger governing body but they were removed from that connection by an opposing government. This kinda sorta happens here on Terra.

22. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Be interesting to see how the politics is handled in TFA. I feel the narrative won't go too heavily into it, but it'll undoubtedly be an important of the story. At least I presume it will?

23. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    Just an observation, but it's possible it won't be called the Empire anymore. That presumes that the person in charge is still called "Emperor". I wouldn't be surprised if we had to learn new terminology, just like in the PT with "Republic" and "Separatists" vs. "Empire" and "Rebels" in the OT.

24. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    What's in a name really?

Well one way you can look at it is that the British Empire never had an "Emperor" and on the other hand, Japan, today, is a constitutional monarchy and they still have an "Emperor". Also the Ottoman Empire, a Sunni Islamic Sultinate didn't officially become an empire till a century or so after it's foundation, but throughout it's existence it was governed by Absolute Monarchs (Emperors in all but name) and they were known as "Sultans", again, an Empire with no "Emperors"

So whats in a name?

Just how much of the galactic public had ever seen Palpatine in person? 0.1%? The empire could easily manipulate an already heavily propagandized society into believing the emperor never died at the Battle of Endor, or could indeed have completely covered up the battle itself.

This reminds me of something my Dad told me about when he worked in Venezuela back in the late 50's when they'd have a revolution at a drop of a hat every other weekend. There was a time when regions were controlled by some small time Junta with a local strongman to keep the order, sometimes these dictators (thugs really) would get snuffed out for whatever reason as you can imagine. There was this one Generalissimo, who's name escapes me, who often greeted the public from the veranda of his HQ and through cult of personality was known to do this, in other words it became symbolic of him, to be on that balcony waving to the citizens. Anyway, he was assassinated but no one knew about it and his cronies covered it up and had a doppelganger appear from time to time on that veranda to fool the public that he was still alive, all in the name of preserving the status quo.

An Empire without an Emperor? Sure, why not?

25. seattlemusicnerd

seattlemusicnerd Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2014
    [quote="Scummy_and_Villainous, post: 52045850, member: 1378514"

Well one way you can look at it is that the British Empire never had an "Emperor" and on the other hand, Japan, today, is a constitutional monarchy and they still have an "Emperor". Also the Ottoman Empire, a Sunni Islamic Sultinate didn't officially become an empire till a century or so after it's foundation, but throughout it's existence it was governed by Absolute Monarchs (Emperors in all but name) and they were known as "Sultans", again, an Empire with no "Emperors"

So whats in a name?

Just how much of the galactic public had ever seen Palpatine in person? 0.1%? The empire could easily manipulate an already heavily propagandized society into believing the emperor never died at the Battle of Endor, or could indeed have completely covered up the battle itself.[/quote]

Point well taken about the British Empire. At least in the special edition of RotJ, many parts of the galaxy were celebrating. Clearly, that doesn't mean that the remnants of the Empire laid down their weapons, but I think they were severely weakened after the Battle of Endor. Many of the civilizations who joined out of fear probably left once the tables were turned.

*aside* I hope editing the quote results in the proper form of reply.

Scummy_and_Villainous likes this.