main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens Teaser Trailer - Thoughts and Observations

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sterling3763, Nov 28, 2014.

1. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Good to agree with you on something, PJ! I personally prefer a more classic shooting style, where a director prioritizes shot composition to convey information, and doesn't think too much about "you're in the action!" immersion. But I expect I'll have to get used to the fact that JJ likes to keep his camera moving all the time...

2. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    I watched the teaser again.

Observation:

My apologies if this has been stated before, but the scene with the storm-troopers gives the impression that they could possibly be in some type of danger.

I get this impression from the the dim lighting \ darkness, the shaking and what looks to be a storm outside when the hatch opens.

Fell free to comment.

3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    At least JJ's shaky cam means there will be actual kinetic elements to the film. The prequels played it so safe with camera work.

Howard Hand likes this.
  4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah. Plus when a scene is supposed to be "frantic" and suspenseful, it FEELS that way. The PT just had really dull/bland camera-work. And it's not like a have a problem with "old-school" camera work in general because I love lots of older films.

Howard Hand and Arch Stanton like this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    So now the camerawork on the PT is inferior??? Everyone's a filmmaker...

6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    How come it seems like every topic has ventured into discussions about the PT?

7. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    The OT's camerawork was pretty static too. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the OT and PT just based on camera work. Nothing wrong with that.

fishtailsam and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. WadiumArcadium

WadiumArcadium Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2014

True. They definitely feel pretty similar in that respect. It'll be nice to see something different.

Bennihana likes this.
  9. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    So does anyone else think the storm troopers in the TFA trailer could be in danger?

10. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I don't think they are in danger but whoever they are going to fight is. I love that shot though.

dekaneas likes this.
  11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

What's the point of you participating on an internet forum when you then? Since none of us are filmmakers, we probably shouldn't talk about ANYTHING relating to film.

Darth Dookacas likes this.
  12. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    I agree with you. Just because you don't make film doesn't mean you can't have an opinion of it.

13. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

In what way did Lucas "play it safe"?

Saga Explorer likes this.
  14. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    Camera work can not replace character development. JJ can shoot it exactly like Lucas but if the characters don't work the film wont work.

DarthLightlyBruise likes this.
  15. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Character development and likeable characters are the least of my concerns with this Abrams movie

16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You can discuss... but at least try and back up the statements with some evidence or insight, otherwise they are just fallacious. Explain why you believe it doesn’t work. Try and make a case for the claim rather than blanket generalisations that seem devised to court argument rather than debate. "Played it safe"? What does that even mean in terms of camera and cinematography. How is it different to the OT?

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I've read that there will be a trailer at Celebration and that it will later be attached to Age of Ultron.

I'm guessing this will be a second teaser. Would I be correct?

dekaneas likes this.
  18. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    looks like they are getting ready to depart on foot so you would expect some turbulence as the craft lands, JJ knows what he is doing

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  19. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    i saw it at the beginning of the battle of the five armies, it didnt have nowhere near the impact in the cinema that i had at home, it sounded dull. i do have a nice sound system tho.

20. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    You know as much as we do.

21. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Some theaters I've been to are so front loaded with sound. I much prefer to hear and feel the sound around you...between you, me, the tree, the rock...everywhere.

22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Yes, I know that. None of us actually know anything, which is why I figured it went without saying that I was looking for opinions and speculation.

It isn't an efficient use of time to add "I'm looking for speculation and opinion..." before every sentence when when all that is available is speculation and opinion. ;)

23. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Rumor has it that it is a full length trailer, not another teaser. No idea how accurate the rumors are at this point.

24. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  25. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    I liked the camera work most in the non-directed Lucas movies, Empire and Return. I thought Empire had some interesting techniques and Return's final duel had a great sequence. ( when Vader teases turning to Leia)

dekaneas likes this.