main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    No thanks, really. I think that Lego games can certainly be fun, but canon game should be "serious," and characters shouldn't look like blocks with cylindrical heads in a "serious" story.

Contessa likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The people being interviewed in the article never say it's going to be canon. They say "We tell the story through the sort of Lego viewpoint." They also say they'll cover "some pretty significant events that happen before the film," but they're clear it's from that "Lego viewpoint" and not 100% true.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do a canon game need to be "serious"? The movies are often not that serious after all

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't mean serious like "no jokes." What I mean is... harder to explain than I thought.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i dont have your powers of observation or knowledge for the obscure, but i feel the same way about the film.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    *Sigh* All right, then.
    A canon Lego® story is the best thing ever. Episode VIII should be made of Legos®.
    Everything that isn't made of Legos® should be de-canonized right away.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    But... no one being interviewed in that article said it was canon!

There's nothing to be worried about!

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Embrace the foggy window, Lelal. We can take general outlines from the Lego stuff (if applicable) without having to worry about the exact details of it--especially if it's stuff that will never get depicted anywhere else.

11. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    This is a simple thought of mine that evolved into a crazy conspiracy theory:

Wouldn't it have made sense that Finn fought Phasma in the Battle of Takodana?

- As much as I love TR8-TR, it's odd that a redshirt has a significant battle with one of our heroes (the buff guy that Indy always fights at least stands out from the other goons)
    - There is antagonism well set up between them in previous scenes (Chekhov's gun)
    - Making him the trooper from the book is just a retcon response to fans loving him

What could have happened?

- Gwendoline Christie was ill that day (Phasma is nowhere in the battle!)
    - GC does not fight that well (i've seen GOT scenes, but it seems they use a stunt)
    - They couldn't find a proper stunt double?
    - Rewrite to spare her character?, although it would have been easy not to kill the character

Probably nothing though, just over-reading Phasma's mkt protagonism and trying to build some logic into it further than "flashy, it sells"

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I've never seen anything to suggest she was ever considered for that fight. Honestly if she'd gone down like TR-8R that would have been even more of a let down than the trash compactor.

Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  13. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    If/when we next see her, will she be calling herself 'Plasma', considering what happened to SKB?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm just convinced that they didn't realize how big a deal Phasma would be until after they were basically already done filming.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I think they erred in pushing her so hard when they "realised" she was going to be the ensemble darkhorse, though. It set false expectations. She looks awesome but is otherwise something of non-entity in the film, itself.

And then TR-8R was the dark horse, anyway.

You can't predict this stuff.

(EDIT: Well, I guess JJ predicted that Poe was going to go down wayyy too well with the audience to kill off. And thank goodness for that)

I'm glad she's getting a more substantial piece of the pie next time around, though, of course.

Kylun and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah they definitely managed expectations poorly. But I can't blame them for slapping her on all the merch. Her design is pretty darn cool.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Kylun and Ulicus like this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I wouldn't say that JJ predicted it as much as he was just charmed by Oscar personally in the same way the rest of us were through the film itself.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't really see the difference but okay. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Had there been confirmation through official releases that Ben's last name is Solo?

Could be Ben Organa...:)

20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    There's been no outright confirmation, AFAIK. It's an assumption following on from Leia and Han having been married.

Maybe he's Ben Amidala-Skywalker. :p

Cynda likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Still no official confirmation, as far as I know. (Which is why one of the most common activities on Wookieepedia these days is reverting the edits of people who keep adding "Ben Solo" instead of just "Ben" to the Kylo Ren article.)

Even though Han and Leia were married, nothing tells us he couldn't have his mother's surname. In Belgium, you can have the surname of your father, that of your mother, or both.

Cynda likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Plus "Organa" is a far more famous/respected name in the galaxy than "Solo" would be. Leia, Bail, and Breha all being prominent leaders in their day(s).

I kind of liked the "random awesome Stormtrooper" honestly. They've been a joke in pop culture for so long that seeing them portrayed a bit more competently here was refreshing. And for once, there was actual tension when they encountered one of our main heroes.

Sort of how Lucas, by his own admission, had no clue that Boba Fett would end up being as popular as he became. It happens sometimes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't think they're all that comparable. Not least because Phasma has so far come across as a bungled attempt to manufacture the "Boba Fett Effect".

CaptainPeabody and LelalMekha like this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    From what I understand, don't quite me on this, she was supposed to be a much smaller role even still. But when they cast Gwendoline Christie, they beefed it up a little. And supposedly the plan was always to make her a bigger presence in Episode VIII, again from what I've heard.

Heck initially she was nothing more than a rejected piece of concept art for Kylo Ren's look, that they still thought looked cool. So they invented a new character so that they could use it. And yeah, the Boba Fett situation is rather comparable, down to "comedic exits" from the film.

25. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    A case of 'If you know exactly what to say to a Dianoga, they can be very obliging'?