main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Probably one of the most reasonable ways TFA is the worst

NOBODY PUTS R2 IN THE CORNER

NOBODY

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode VIII is hopefully just a lot of Rey / Luke / Artoo and Chewie having a campfire

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe a dance number also

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So it will be Star Trek V?

6. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Why does God need a Skywalker?

BigAl6ft6 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    To whine so much that Satan covers his ears and says "Oh **** it, you win, I'll disappear from existence now."

Sniper_Wolf likes this.
  8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Fixed that for you.

Sniper_Wolf and Gamiel like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That is amusingly what i basically have thought since the JJ R2 explanation came out.

I'm still surprised at how easy it would have been to visually convey that to- all you would need is a quick closeup shot of one of R2's readout panels turning on and starting to blink slowly after BB & 3PO talk. Then have another right before he wakes up later on that shows it blinking faster before coming to a sudden stop/constant light on.

(It's so easy I might just have to track down a local R2 Builders Club member sometime to help out with my eventual fan edit...)

It works whether he's searching the Imperial archives or installing updates, hehe.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I dig the blinking light idea to set it up mysteriously to pay off later, even if such a hypothetical shot would have telegraphed it. But I am also a fan of the "Yay! Artoo in our time of need!" way it plays, cuz the shots before that is everyone looking realllly bummed.

The important part is Artoo still saves the day, which keeps his streak going for 7 movies. The Star Wars saga is, ultimately, Artoo's story.

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well it at least gives context for why Artoo wakes up at that particularly moment- because then you have some visual substance to layer in the Imperial Network details in secondary sources. And even if it would telegraph it, it's not really a big deal because what exactly would it be spoiling? Artoo waking up wasn't some big surprise- we all knew he would eventually even without insert shots.

12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Final Frontier may be mostly junk, but I actually adore the camping scenes. Great scenery of Yosemite, great music, plus I love the interactions of ST's "Big Three". The rest of the movie is utter crap though, for sure. :p

--Adm. Nick

King of Alsakan and Nobody145 like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Been playing TFA Lego and it's a whole lot of fun, there's a lot of dialogue-sourced from the flick I love how they can recontexualize the meaning of scenes but just having the Lego-versions of the characters playing along (Kylo's "I will finish what you started" speech becomes really funny in how it's presented"). There's a fun running gag involving everyone having coffee and ice cream all the time, even Nien Numb won't help out until you get him ice cream. The gameplay is some great smashie-smashie and the puzzles are generally amusing to figure out (however there are a few jumping on a bouncy thing puzzle that I am TERRIBLE at and just do it after some blind luck and frustration after minutes) but the real gold is seeing the various Lego versions of the characters and the little chatter in between levels.

There is a whole lot of newly recorded dialogue in the game from the actors which I quite enjoy. Christie's Phasma gets to properly rant about Resistance Scum this time. Having Harrison Ford call a trooper a "buckethead" is really awesome and I especially love that they got Ford to say "And Wookiee Cookies for Chewie!"

14. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I'm rereading the TFA novelization and just finished the chapter where Chewie rips Unkar Plutt's arm off. Unkar Plutt mentions how he was able to track the Falcon thanks to an old imperial homing beacon installed on it. Do you mean to tell me this is the same homing beacon Tarkin and Vader had installed on the Falon in ANH?? If so, you're telling me in all their work on the Falcon, Han and Chewie never bothered to locate and remove it? Surely he figured out Leia was right about them being tracked after the death star found them on Yavin...

And if there as a homing device installed on the Falcon why the heck didn't the Empire find them right away on Hoth, or immediately locate them in the asteroid field or on the star destroyer or anywhere in Empire Strikes Back???

This seems like a major plot hole...

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If it is supposed to be the homing beacon from DS1, Maybe Han & Chewie decativated it but didn't actually remove it and Unkar flipped it back on again.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I just can't believe we were robbed of some Wookie arm-ripping goodness. I mean, come on. Even if you had hated this movie, people would still have been like, "Hey, that part where Chewie ripped off that guy's arm was pretty awesome though. Glad we got payoff on that."

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Thread relevant

[​IMG]

18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, come on. I know he killed his dad and everything but he isn't that evil. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jar-Jar returning in the sequel trilogy? Yes please.

DelRiego likes this.
  20. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    So there's this movie I saw last night.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Was it Glengarry Glen Ross?

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    As GrandAdmiralJello would agree, the man to save the New Republic is elder statesman and war hero Jar Jar Binks. He's probably retired on Naboo at the moment, but I'm supporting his election as chancellor. :D

--Adm. Nick

BigAl6ft6, Jedi Ben and Gamiel like this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Besides, we all know that General Binks has a better war record than General Hux.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So there was Hamilton Comic-Con in my burg this weekend and the local paper, The Hamilton Spectator had a photo spread with this pic and cutline:

[​IMG]

Generally wouldn't bother me if they confused the two but the caption has a vaguely condescending "Do we even have to say it?" line and if you're going to bust that out, make sure you ID them as First Order Stormtroopers and not not Imperial Storm Troopers (with a space, even!). I mean, FN-2187 even has the bloody handprint on his mask, come on!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm not sure I'll ever get around to browse all pages. I definitely don't want to. So...

Has anyone mentioned yet that the Maz Kanata character should have been Lando?