main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V THE FORCE AWAKENS - The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Dec 15, 2015.

1. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    Oh My Lord, that is insane....

But also a work of art

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, I think today was the first time that I really realized that TFA affects today's kids the same way the PT affected me when I was their age 11 or 12 years ago. A kid I know, he's probably 11 years old, said "Next Halloween, I think I'm going to dress as Poe Dameron from Star Wars: The Force Awakens." And I was like...wow. These kids relate to Poe, Finn, and Rey the same way I did to the PT characters. Like, I knew that logically, but I don't think it had hit me on a deep level until I heard him say that. It made me really happy.

Stymi, BigAl6ft6, Kylun and 5 others like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be 45 next month and it still affects me that way. :p

I dressed as Padme twice during the PT era, and since then I have dressed as Leia, Ventress and Rey. And my thought about Rogue One?

"I get to look for a Jyn costume in my size next Halloween."

Still annoyed that there is no Hera Syndulla costume though.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you want a job done right, do it yourself.... aka Cosplay.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I need to start growing my Crimson Jack beard now to make sure it's ready by next Halloween. I mean, I'll keep it trimmed to the right length, I'm not going as Chewbacca.

I've got the legs already, just need the beard.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

8. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Yeah, if he's not redeemed, it shouldn't be an active decision by the heroes. I mean, yeah, you could have Luke send Rey to train with Mandalorians to take Kylo down, I suppose...

But seriously, the heroes wouldn't be heroes if they didn't take the high road in this. But again, only if Kylo gets the redemption angle slot. If Rey or Luke or whoever is redeemed and Kylo is the lost cause vilain, he could go down like the Emperor, but the message would still be intact. He shouldn't get preferred treatment because he's a SkySolo; but he could get it because of that. The audience is more inclined to see him redeemed than Hux or Snoke or merchandise queen Phasma because there's emotional investment in his family legacy. Ignoring that legacy would be a step towards an endless saga that moves away from the Skywalkers - who knows.

I can see where you're coming from in general, but I do not really hold a lot of interest in that variation of the story for variation's sake. Regarding this, and the picture we paint above of the heroes offering forgiveness but the evil guy remaining stupidly/stubbornly evil, this is kind of a bad trope for me. Author and audience appear to take the high road of forgiving and stuff, but in reality get their revenge ending since the remorseless guy needs to be taken down, or possibly makes it even easier for the heroes by choosing "you'll never get me alive" suicide. See Xanatos. I find stories like those to be pretty dishonest - as much as they may keep their heroes truly morally superior, they still get to have their easy "evil should simply die" way out, possibly because it would be so hard to figure out how to treat a captured supervillain without executing him (cough KJA cough). By all means, just openly choose revenge fantasy if you really can't step above it, but don't expect me to enjoy it.

Nobody145, CT-867-5309 and Gamiel like this.
  9. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    If this happens I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Since the heroes have suffered a great deal from Kylo Ren and he's not showing any signs of willingly repenting (as of yet), I think the heroes could have, to borrow a Batman expression, a "I won't kill you, but I won't help you" approach, and I'd be okay with that. Opinions may vary. That said, since it's already been attempted to forgive and turn Kylo back to the light side -- which was a tragic failure -- and all the heroes so far have been severely harmed by him in different ways, it would be interesting to have them struggle with the question of what to do with him; wanting vengeance vs. taking whatever the high ground is in this case.

Maybe. I don't know. I'm wondering about waiting till the next movie comes out and we get a better idea of where things are going before getting too invested in a specific outcome of anything (I've gotten way to invested in quite a few possible futures for stuff in the future movies as is).

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also thread relevant, stolen from Seagoat from the Meme thread:

[​IMG]

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    But do his outbursts rhyme?

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Also stolen form Meme thread, this one posted by Ananta Chetan

[​IMG]

Vialco, Mr. Forest, Nobody145 and 9 others like this.
  14. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    And then the Han Solo film begins with Harrison Ford regenerating at the bottom of that pit and Alden Ehrenreich sitting up and being, like, "Han! I'm still called Han! Oh, fingers, lots of fingers!"

15. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    BigAl6ft6 Let's be honest, we all would have done it if he had said that. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Speak for yourself. I'd have immediately abandoned the dark side and joined in the punnage.

Unless, of course, the spirit of Palpatine appeared and said the one word that could keep me evil.

"DUET!"

Dawud786 likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I was going to say I would have been instantly redeemed if Han had made that joke to me.

But I wouldn't have been instantly redeemed. I would have paused for a few seconds before it sunk in, then I would have snickered, then I would have been cracking up at the amazing lameness of the pun and the sweet illness of the timing (lol you made a lame pun that made light of my problems while you were supposed to be reaching out to me in an epic confrontation between father and son, you are the best dad) , THEN I would have been redeemed.

After that, I would have told Rey that Han was a good dad with a good sense of humor.

But, Han didn't make that joke, because he was a bad father, a disappointing father with no sense of humor, because this is the Star Wars we all know and love.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This month's viewing of Force Awakens was kind of a 1.3 viewing. One night I was watching a Hannibal episode but, due to the intoxicants and all, the episode was a bit on the slower, whisper-y side (even by Hannibal standards!) so I kinda bailed on the Hannibal ep, booted up Force Awakens and watched what I consider to be the most important stuff - starting with the Kylo / Rey mind control battle, skip ahead a bit to Kylo / Han and watch until the end. BUT that wasn't a full viewing so a few days later, after seeing a football game with my cousins and, due to the intoxicants and all and after watching a whole bunch of music videos, and rewatching the 3 TFA trailers (side note, trailer #3 is a goddamn work of art and also those eagle eyed viewers will note that trailer #2 has a different take of "Chewie, we're home" from the movie and trailer #1 has the Kylo Ren igniting his saber shot which isn't in the movie) we did a full viewing of Force Awakens. There was a lot of jabbering going on about certain details and awesome moments we dig and stuff, drunkenly yelling about theories, etc. We disagree on the point if the Kylo lighstaber shot from trailer #1 should have been in the film proper, I say no cuz I think it works better just hearing the "SNAP HISS" as Rey and Finn run through the woods, my cousin sez they should have kept it. At one point I txt'd my other cousin who had gone out for the night "you mean the murders, traitors and thieves you call friends" and "The face of my son!!!!!" (with five exclamation points, cuz I asked my other cousin how many exclamation points to put on it, I was gonna go with 2 and he said go with 5). Got a somewhat amused confused response. Anyway, good viewing overall! Only one more viewing in 2016 to go! Pretty sure is gonna be right after I watch Rogue One.

Also last night I was all the Wal of Mart and while I did do a cursory swing by the Star Wars toy aisle, didn't get anything (although the FN-2187 2.75" is realllly tempting, he even has the helmet with the bloody streaks on it and it was the only one there!). But I also saw a few Star Wars branded cereals. Now there was a Kylo Ren cereal

[​IMG]

this is the box art I found online although I don't think it was this specific box because it didn't have the ad for Celebration 2016. However, it's probably so stuffed with preservatives that it would probably still be good even if it was packaged in November 2015. but, y'know, look at that, it's all just pure sugar flakes and marshmallows and of course the Kylo Ren box would be the unhealthiest option. So I didn't get that one.

Now this one I did get, couldn't help it:

[​IMG]

See, Kylo stands for empty sugar calories and Rey stands for the much healthier multi-grain option! That's how she beat Kylo Ren, he was all doped up on sugary cereals and she had the multi-grain Cherrios of the Light.

Vialco and masterskywalker like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll wait for how it is all Leia's fault that Kylo turned because she was a terrible mother who let him eat Lucky Charms instead of making him a healthier breakfast.

20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Smoked Salmom and scrambled Eggs on Toast is both healthy and tasty, if only Leia had fed him on that [face_thinking]

Vialco and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Plot Twist: Snoke was the Waldo the Wizard this whole time and he's getting revenge for being replaced by that damn leprechaun.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Randomly googled "Show me, Grandfather, and I will finish what you started" and this popped up, about a 30 second photoshop job but I dig how sparse it is.

[​IMG]

Stay evil, Kylo! You certainly sealed the deal with this movie, I tells ya. Mad props for Driver's line delivery of "It's just us! Han Solo can't save you now!" line right afterwards which sounds legit crazy and malicious. In fact, I kinda love how batty Driver plays Kylo in the final confrontation. Which contrasts nicely to how coolly evil he seems at the start of the flick.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That had to be a Revan fan who made that. Sometimes I think all the Revan fans just wholesale transferred into Kylo fans.

...er, not necessarily the resident Revanfan1. But all those others. #'s 2, 3, 4, etc. The ones who live on game forums and fanarts sites.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    True, Kylo didn't exactly become the "destroyer of worlds" (that's really Hux's job, Kylo just sorta hung back) but I like it more thematically as in his actions when he could turn back to the light in his confrontation with Han but his choice is "I am become death, destroyer of worlds". Or his own father, in this case.

As someone pointed out a long time ago in this thread, this is the first Star Wars movie where they actually are start saying "the Light" (Lucas' movies just used The Force or Luke saying "bring him back to the good side") to signify The Light Side. Or they just called it "the light". Now, it may have been a tad odd, and before the Light Side was really just used in a real world context when talking about Star Wars and The Force. But now it's officially a thing in universe. Took me a bit to get used to it but I'm okay with it now.

Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    As Revanfan0*, allow me to say that is most certainly not the case.

Then again I sort of stopped being a Revan fan, too, so maybe that's why I was spared such a transformation.

*If there is a real Revanfan0 on this site, he is not my sock**, I was just using it to imply I took primacy over our Revanfan1

** Or is he?

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.