main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens to end with a Cliffhanger?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    We all know that both movies that started their respective trilogies, Star Wars (a New Hope...it was just Star Wars when I first saw it lol) and The Phantom Menace were their own self contained movies in many ways. Empire did not pick up until a year or more later and Clones was ten years later. I believe that Episode VII will end with a cliffhanger to heighten the anticipation for Episode VIII (and seems the way to go with movies these days). Empire Strikes Back started it all (after decades of that concept being dormant). Agree or disagree?

Immortiss and Artoo-Dion like this.
  2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Yes, I suspect it will end with a cliffhanger. There'll probably be some sense of resolution, to make it satisfying, but one of the main characters will be in jeopardy, or we'll see the villain having some level of success just shortly before the film ends, indicating that there's more to come.
    The original SW was self-contained simply because there were no guarantees of a sequel.
    TPM was mostly self-contained, but in a way, I think that hurt the prequel trilogy a bit because it made it feel a bit too isolated from episodes 2 and 3.
    This time around, Disney KNOWS they're making three films, and I doubt there will be any need for a 10 year gap between episodes 7 and 8 (as there was between 1 and 2), so I really think they'll take advantage of that and leave us hanging a bit.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Ending with a Matrix style cliff hanger with the words "to be continued" would take the piss.

4. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
  5. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    There's been rumors to that extent for awhile, yeah. Maybe not so much a straight ahead cliffhanger like just stopping the movie in the middle like Desolation of Smaug or Matrix Reloaded, but apparently Luke does something in the last reel of The Force Awakens that doesn't exactly make things better for the heroes. That and apparently there's a betrayal that none of our heroes were expecting to have coming, either.

Both of those things apparently lead to a "UGHGHGHGHG GOTTA SEE THE NEXT ONE RIGHT NOW" sorta vibe.

(amazing how they manage to do that without needing a stupid post-credits stinger)

6. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Closure perhaps for Luke Skywalker. Maybe the death of a main villain. Tarkin & Darth Maul for example.

7. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I think it'll be a mixed ending. I think there will be a resolution to an immediate problem but a cliffhanger in regards to the overarching problems that the ST revolves around.

8. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    Like... to what extent? With regards to SW films, for a first film I'd rather leave it at like how TPM did it, with leaving some not-so-subtle hints at what's to come, while also resolving the main plot points. Something like TESB or, worse, Matrix Reloaded, would kind of be sort of awful for what's supposed to be the first new film in a decade. It doesn't really give a good impression.

9. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    The appearance and awakening of Sith legend Darth Plagueis please! Played by Andy Serkis.

10. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    I think the movie will end with Adam Drivers character being the main baddie and that Luke will start on his journey of creating the New Jedi Order. Thus the subsequent movies will focus on rebuilding the Jedi Order, where as the other movies focused on the unraveling.

This opens up many other spin off movies as well.

11. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I will be disappointed if Plagueis isn't in it somehow.

12. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    Is Plagueis mentioned in the Clone Wars series?

13. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I dunno if I agree with this, though. Phantom Menace was intended to be a beginning. More of a prelude, really. I mean, the movie was originally titled "The Beginning," so it's having the tone you describe always made sense. Unfortunately, it also makes it seem sort of expendable when it comes to looking at the saga as a whole. Being as disconnected from the whole as it is, you start to wonder if you needed to really see it (and that's if you believe it did what it was trying to do pretty decently)

But with Force Awakens - we all know it's a sequel. It's coming after a decisive, happy ending. I don't know if just hinting at what's to come is going to be enough in that case. it seems like they'd rather hint at what might have happened, and then tell you what the aftermath of all that is, and provide us with the ideas of how our heroes are going to FIX that. And the filmmakers KNOW there's two more films following this one. There's nothing that says the main plot points won't be resolved - just that we're going to have a couple new ones popped open right before we go.

I don't know why an engrossing, engaging story that leaves viewers wanting more would be "sort of awful" for the first new Star Wars film in a decade.

14. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    Not an engrossing, engaging story, but a sudden cliffhanger ending. It doesn't make sense right now to end it like they would with a second film in any trilogy.

15. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't know that this is much of a topic that needs discussion. The Star Wars movies have historically been very strict in following established story telling tropes. A New Hope is the quintessential hero's journey and doesn't deviate one bit from the framework of that.

This movie may set up future movies (unlike the OT, they know this movie is going to be a success)

So since they plan on making more, this movie will set up for more movies.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So far endings with up or down notes.

1 = Up
    2 = Down
    3 = Down
    4 = Up
    5 = Down
    6 = Up

3 and 3.

So episode VII could be either.

DarthKreVass, EECHUUTA and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's the first instalment of a new trilogy, the first chapter of a new story. It could by all means end with a cliffhanger, but more than likely TFA will leave many things unanswered. So you look forward to the next film to see how the story and characters progress. And so on..

18. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I think there's a good chance it'll be balanced. And I know this is way too early, but I'm betting epVIII will be down with a slight glimmer of hope, and IX will end on a note twice as high as that of RotJ.

19. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    7. Up
    8. Down
    9. Shake it all around

20. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014

I don't believe so but he was mentioned in EP3 which you probably know :p

21. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    I think maybe thinking of these as a trilogy of trilogies might be tripping people up. I mean - yeah, it's that. But it's also just one big long story. There's not necessarily a mathematical formula to follow here. It's the seventh movie in a nine movie series. If you think of it that way, does it seem so out of bounds that part 7 might have a bit of a cliffhanger/to-be-continued sort of feel at its ending?

22. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

23. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I'd definitely be annnoyed if they did a cliffhanger, since they've never done one before. One thing I've always liked about SW is that all the films left you wanting more and left big mysteries open for the next one, but also wrapped up all of the "immediate" stories so you wouldn't feel upset at having it end like that. Even ESB ended exactly where it needed to in order for you to wonder what was going to happen with Han, Vader, etc. but they also ended on a quieter note after the characters were able to process some of what was going on. In this way it made it feel less like "To Be Continued" and more like "There are more adventures coming". Most of the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit films did this well also (except for the last one. Desolation of Smaug has exactly the kind of cliffhanger I hope Star Wars avoids.)

Abadacus likes this.
  24. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Empire Strikes Back is considered a cliffhanger, though.

I'm pretty certain that's the kind of cliffhanger we're speculating on here.

25. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I honestly think it will follow the same 'theme' as ANH and TPM. By this I mean in both films we see a wise figure die, but at the same time we see hope for the future. We see Ben die in ANH but see Luke use the force to destroy the Death Star and in TPM we see Qui die but see the chosen one become a Padawaan. I think Han/Luke will die in TFA but we'll see the new protagonist come to light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.