main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force Awakens to end with a Cliffhanger?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiAlKenobi, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005
    I think Luke, Leia and Han will die and George RR Martin will appear laughing and it'll start snowing

in space

Granek and bobbyroberts like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't know if it is true or not. Just a rumor I heard.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    If that happens somebody will die.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That cliffhanger was stupid but worked and someone will be in a lot of trouble if that happens.

5. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Personally I can't see TFA ending on such a note. IF the death(s) of a beloved character(s) is to occur? It may well happen before the end. I've got all ten fingers and toes crossed it just doesn't climax with a big battle and then some stupid ticker tape celebration in all honesty. Please god no. Just don't.

6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Han Luke Leia C3PO R2D2, Lando(offscreen) and Chewbacca will all die in Episode VII. [face_skull]

7. D.A. McCoy

D.A. McCoy Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014

I'm guessing that's a joke. I haven't read the Hobbit, but isn't that like the entire end of the book, along with Bilbo going back home?

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We are talking about the end of the 2nd movie and the start of the 3rd movie. Not the end of the 3rd movie.

9. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012

I agree. I can't imagine they would do something like the end of Harry Potter or Hunger Games.

10. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    I hope it isn't a cliffhanger. Obviously it won't end in an entirely resolved, all the bad guys are dead type way, but I'm pretty tired of these cynical mega-budget tv shows and films being stretched out and chopped up. I miss MOVIES. The Hobbit part 1 wasn't a movie, it was 1/3 of one. You can have a concise, satisfying story with a beginning, middle and end and still have it work as part of a series.

11. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Space snow is nothing to joke about, man.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe someone does at the end, but I'd rather see VIII end on a much bigger cliffhanger.

13. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    MODified: Jokes about actors' weight and/or drug addiction and/or psychiatric struggles were banished a long while ago.

Rabs likes this.
  14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The cliffhanger works when you're going into the last part of a trilogy, to have a cliffhanger after part 1 would leave part 3 as an anti-climax.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, it was said that TFA would be relatively standalone, like TPM and ANH, but if it did end on a cliffhanger, my brother and I were talking and I think it would be just JJ Abrams' style (though it would infuriate me) to have a LOST-style cliffhanger ending, where there's a celebration scene and everything's happy and complete, and then we cut to a few relatively important but not main cast characters, such as Andersen, Chong, and Clarke, together in a room after the celebration, and a figure (whose face we don't see) enters the room. They all look up and greet him as if they know him–and he kills all three of them in cold blood. Then, he turns and walks out and we have to wait until VIII to find out who the killer was. The last scene of the movie is of the three bodies lying on the ground–cut to black, then credits.

It'll never happen, nor would I want it to, but I think it would be hilarious to see fan reaction.

starocean90 likes this.
  16. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It turns out that Han is actually the heir to the Targaryen throne.

17. Airseven

Airseven Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2013
    I don't necessarily expect a cliffhanger. I think it's more likely they provide a fitting resolution to Luke/Leia/Han so that the geezers can be written out of Episode VIII.

18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it will end with someone literally hanging from a cliff. Iris out.

19. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

Immortiss likes this.
  20. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I would say 2 is a toss up. It's up because our main heroes survive and live to fight another day, but it's down because of the war. I would expect TFA might be 75% up and 25% down. The main problem of the story will probably be resolved, like in TPM and ANH. But there will probably be an obvious problem that will continue like in TPM when the Sith Lord was still out there and in ANH where Vader survived.

CarboniteSolo likes this.
  21. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I believe it will be an Up and Down ending, much like Episode I, with a celebration/ceremony, but also very much like Qui-Gon Jinn funeral pyre scene sad and foreshadowing.

22. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I don't see the cliffhanger ending until VIII, with the heroes in peril, having to wait two years to find out what happens to them. This is very reminiscent of TESB ending, the unknown future and it all comes full circle with part IX.

I'm sure Luke will bite it in this one. They will flat out deny it, of course, but they need to die, much like Obi-wan and Yoda did, so the hero has to go at it all alone.

23. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    So far the most cliffhanger type ending in the series is easily Empire's. What I like about how it's done though is that, while it's a cliffhanger, it isn't abrupt or cutting into the middle of some important action (I'm thinking of The Desolation of Smaug, which felt like a smack in the face for me). It's more about the uncertain situation the characters have found themselves in, with one of the central characters in the clutches of the enemy and some game-changing information about the hero's parentage hanging there. There's still a final scene, which is mostly unspoken and more about the operatic music, though it's obviously more subdued than A New Hope's final sequence. The power of John Williams score at the end, as the falcon heads off to find Han Solo, is that it manages to bring a sense of closure and resolution, while so many questions are left unanswered.

I'm okay with a cliffhanger ending that works like that. Sure, there's stuff that's been left unresolved, but give us a sense that this chapter has come to a close and the story will continue in the next one. I'm pretty sure they'll do that, if there's a cliffhanger, because I can't see them ending the tradition of a mostly musical sequence at the end of each episode. Anything else would be weird.

Immortiss likes this.
  24. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, I'm not a fan of radical departure from precedent, unlike the current United States Supreme Court. Stare decisis for Star Wars. However, I get the feeling that The Force Awakens in particular and the ST in general will emphasize black over white until the third act of Episode IX. The Force Awakens will have the look and tone of ANH and the tragedy of TPM, although now we're dealing with beloved childhood heroes who's departure from the stage, whomever it might be, will provide a poignancy and drama far greater than anytime since the OT. A passing of the torch means the light goes out somewhere and with someone. I anticipate the 'gut punch' will have the potential for tears, especially if JJ starts pulling the Spielberg narrative/directing strings just prior to and during the tragic scene. I foresee thirty and forty somethings in the theater looking for fun and not anticipating a need kleenex. =((

25. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    Yes, TFA should end on a huge cliffhanger. In my draft fan screenplay the ending is the new villain - 'The Nex' led by the evil Nexus Zine - arriving at the Galactic Union's Parliament. His troops have defeated the union's defenses. Zine enters the main Parliament chamber, sees President Yiras (the union President) on a chair. He is a broken man. The union is defeated. This is the darkest day since the Empire destroyed Alderaan. Zine look down onto the President and says:

Abrupt fade out to end titles.

I'd like to see something like that in Ep 7. The final scene is the villain stating

"Game over. We won."

!!!

Ending on a major cliffhanger keeps fans really keen to see the next episode. Ep 8 would be the battle to defeat the new enemy/destroy their space weapon etc. Something along those lines could work. I suppose it depends how depressing you want to go - if you make it too grim it could backfire but it's worth doing, I reckon! It would be cool but if it's a normal happy ending, fair enough. Disney want to make a family SW film - not ultra depressing and dark in tone.

My gut feeling is audiences are sophisticated enough to accept a darker, depressing end to a SW episode. I'm sure even under 10 year olds would understand that. This is a new trilogy - time to go a little darker, perhaps? (PG rating of course!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.