main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Choke: Acting

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AJSkywalker, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJSkywalker

AJSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2005
    Ok don't confuse this with other force choke topics... I know that David Prowse and Haden Christensen are great at delivering it, but what about the ones recieving it? Which do you think is the best victom of the force?

I will accept hand to neck choking such as in ANH or Chewbacca's ritual throat crushing.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Whoever played Admiral Ozzel. I can just imagine how silly it must've looked to try dancing around like that on the set before falling to the floor, especially since Vader isn't even using any hand gestures in that scene.

3. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Needa's got the whole bulging-vein, rolling-eyes thing going on, though. That's worth something.

Padmé's wasn't much good, though. The comic depicted it better, having her thrown against a wall. That and removing the "she's completely healthy" line might have made her passing more believable.

4. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    Natalie Portman looked as though she had an itchy throat :p

5. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    Yes...I definetely have a hard time deciding which preformance is the best, but I have no problem singling out the worst. Padme's preformance was pathetic. She was like talking perfecly to Anakin while her throat was being crushed. It was really bad. That took away like half of power of that scene. She was like "Ahh! stop it please!" It could've been much better.

6. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Ozzel is the most hilarious/best.

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say it's a tie between Ozzel and Needa. Needa has the best death though especially with the "Apology Accepted, Captain Needa" line

8. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    That's only good, because of Vader's line.

Other than that, it's just Needa's face falling on the deck.

Ozzel is better.

9. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    You're all wrong, Motti had the best force choke acting. Bulging eyes, clenched teeth, loud gagging noises. You can't beat it.

Also, even though not a Force choke, Lando's hoarse whispering while being throttled by Chewie is pretty good, too. And let's not forget Jabba, either.

10. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    Yea I love Lando's preformance in ESB especially because of the recovery. Once he was released Irvin left the camera rolling to get Lando's breath of sweet oxygen. And of course Carrie Fisher's best action scene. Stepping on a midget to hop over Jabba...classic.

A little person inside jabba's tail during filming for those who haven't seen Empire of Dreams.

11. Sir_Loin

Sir_Loin Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2005
    Hands down it's Motti. Not only does he have the neck twitch and facial expression perfect, but it is the first time that we as an audience see that, and the way he contorts leaves no doubt as to what is going on. (That and Vader's little finger pinching motion).

12. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    It's easily Motti or Needa, but to tell you the truth I loved whatching Ozzel bite it. I hated that guy.
    [image=http://www.cswu.cz/characters/img/char/kendal_ozzel_2.gif]

13. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Motti Motti Motti...Oi Oi Oi! :D

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Piett's reactions to Ozzel biting it are pretty damn funny, too. Here he is, with his boss getting choked to death right next to him. That's gotta be distracting, and Piett shows it quite nicely.

15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Since hand-to-neck choking is allowed, I submit noble Capt. Antilles:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Superant/antilles1.jpg]

And he got one-armed into a wall after gross cracking sounds erupted from his neck.

Second is Needa, then Mottie, then Lando, then Ozzel, then Leia-on-Jabba chain-choking action.

EDIT: Sorry the image is so **** up.

16. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    Piett's thoughts: Please don't pick me! Please don't pick me! Please don't pick me! Please don't pick me! Please don't pick me! Ple-.... Crap! Uhhh... "Yes Lord Vader." I can't believe he picked me....but at least Ozzel got it first. I hated that guy.

Ok seriously I agree It was hilarious...he tries so hard not to look over at the former Admiral bite it...[face_laugh]

17. Mace_Won

Mace_Won Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2006
    Without a doubt, the best acting performance during a force choke belongs to Natalie Portman in Episode III. The gravity of the situation, where you have two lives hanging in the balance(the baby and the mother), mixed with her utter innocence make it almost unbearable to watch. But Portman maintains Padme's strength to hold on and fight the choke and reach out to Anakin in her final moments with him, to make this a struggle that Anakin will be haunted by for the rest of his life. This performance is incredible and also, it's the first time we see the force choke used in the saga.

18. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    I can't believe it...two opinions whith which I totally dissagree in a matter of 2 posts.

Ok first of all Natalie Portman was HORRIBLE when recieveing the force choke! She was speaking full sencances clearly. All she did was rub her throat and whisper strained a little bit.

As for Antilles...It was great besides when Vader threw him into the wall. It was so fake!!! He was like oh my i ran into a wall...oh yea...better lay down and look dead!

19. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    After Ozzel dies, watch the guy sitting behind Piett look down at Ozzel and then at Vader. After just glancing at Vader he turns away and decides that he'll concentrate on working hard [face_laugh][face_laugh]

20. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Oh yeah, Obi-Wan getting choked by Anakin is pretty good. Notice that after Obi kicks Anakin off him, he takes a deep breath. Good acting by Ewen.

21. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    [face_laugh] I need to whatch for that [face_laugh]

22. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    I love it when Vader chokes Obi-Wan in Episode III is my favorite. Sidious laughs miniaclly and then slasshes his lightsaber at the camera then the very next thing you see is a gloved hand thrusting up onto Obi's neck and Obi's expression is great. It was an AWESOME scene transition, a great moment, ever since I saw that shot in the teaser trailer in Novemeber 2004, I was so excited for the duel, well I was excited before, but that was such a great shot.

23. R2D2_gave_up_flying

R2D2_gave_up_flying Jedi Master

May 23, 2005
    :confused:

Anyone after Motti is anticlimax...can you make your neck pulse like that??

24. AJSkywalker

May 12, 2005
    CAN ANYONE DO THAT![face_laugh]

25. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Well all the force choces in the OT are great if ya ask me. Mrs.Portman did not look that convinsing though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.