main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT The force : how big is too big / what are the limits?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth DoJ, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Yoda says that size matters not [sic] and this would imply that nothing is impossible to lift/move for a strong force user. I think that there is a size limit, but relatively. I don't think a Jedi could move the cloud city of Bespin, or a planet, or a star. I don't think a Jedi can move a Star Destroyer either, but an X-wing or Tie fighter (by proxy) seems to be no problem. It looks like Jedi can move eachother's bodies (except to stop someone falling - at least I've never seen a Jedi stop someone from falling off a ledge or anything) but can't move their own - they can't fly in movie canon, they can't stop themselves falling, they can propel themselves jumping or with force speed though - and they also seem to have trouble with smaller falling objects - Obiwan's lightsaber falls and he can't retrieve it in TPM, Anakin's in AOTC etc, and it seems that for certain abilities, the hands need to be used (force choke, calling an object, etc), so, are there any defined limitations, what are the thresholds?

2. Homergreg

Homergreg Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force...."

So it seems that we have not seen the limit of the Force itself. Maybe the limit lies in the individual who allies with it.

IamZam, smoothkaz and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    EU can get pretty crazy

The Force Unleashed showed the main character stopping a star destroyer from crashing using just the Force

Resurrected Palpatine could generate lightning so powerful it could destroy capital ships

Darth Nihilus could destroy all life on entire planets just by draining it via the Force from his ship in orbit

Saga Explorer and Darthmaul208 like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    With the Force as your ally, you should be able to make use of the energy surrounding and penetrating a planet to affect the planet in a significant way - if you are skilled enough.

5. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, maxi big da Force....

6. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    It really depends on what audience is willing to accept. Me i could accept people like starkiller pulling star destroyer out of the sky, may be a little harder to accept something like a jedi moving an entire planet.

7. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    For me, pulling a Star Destroyer out of the sky is perhaps pushing things a little far. I prefer it when Jedi and Sith impact the more immediate area around them. But in theory, I guess there's no limit to the Force, and it rests in the person conjuring it.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the first case, Star was controlling it more by using telekinesis on its engine nozzles rather than on the whole ship, as I recall - guiding it that way so that it would crash into the target he wanted.

In the second, it wasn't lightning, but a "hyperspace wormhole" Palpatine was creating - which was indeed capable of engulfing and ripping apart capital ships.

One of the largest scale telekinesis feats achieved was done in the Young Jedi Knights series - when the not especially powerful Dark Jedi Brakiss, purely as a demonstration to his new student Zekk, takes the gases of a nova remnant (spanning an entire solar system) and does tricks with them, forming shapes and patterns.

Saga Explorer and Huttese 101 like this.
  9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You are right about that one. In fact, all Starkiller does is turn the Star Destroyer down, he doesn't actually move the destroyer at all. It's already heading towards him.

He even vainly tries to stop the destroyer from crashing into him, but the fails and the momentum of the destroyer carries it forwards.

This suggests that he wasn't literally manipulating the whole ship, but simply adjusting it's direction of motion.

Saga Explorer and Sarge like this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Remember that all the force unleashed stuff is now not canon.

The latest Star Wars comic shows Obi Wan using the force to catch a falling person, and that's official canon now.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Those new comics also show Vader using telekinesis to destroy an enemy shuttle, in, I think, Vader Down.

12. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Why are hand gestures necessary to use the force for certain powers / are they even necessary ?

13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    One word for "too much Force"...........

Abeloth. (Spelling?)

She belongs in Marvel or DC. Too OP for SW.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That seemed to be the approach taken by Shadows of the Empire.

15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Makes ya look Kewl!

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I guess it's something like giving the Force a better path to where you want to direct it as it flows from your body. Sort of like pointing a TV remote right at the box thing

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, gestures are helpful in achieving the right mental-spiritual frame of mind to use the Force. So they're not necessary, but using them habitually makes things happen with less effort. Kind of a focusing technique for the mind.

Unit51 and Homergreg like this.
  18. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    In other words, makes ya look COOL!

19. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Hand gestures help let the audience know the person is using the Force. It is sometimes accompanied by a low rumbling sound.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  20. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    I don't think we are supposed to think about it in that much detail. It is just simply a way of saying that the Force is powerful beyond the material.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  21. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    In my opinion, Palpatine is the very height of what an individual can achieve using the force. This is based on what we've seen in canon.

The EU went slightly mental with force abilities... and, oh, it was glorious at times! :D

Force Smuggler likes this.