main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Force is in balance in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by McThuggin2011, May 29, 2017.

1. McThuggin2011

McThuggin2011 Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2017
    I've heard some people say that the force is no longer in balance in Episode 7 because Luke tilted it too far to the light by starting his Jedi academy. However, I think the force is still in balance. Luke's academy was destroyed, Kylo Ren feels a pull to the light, and Rey is prone to anger but doesn't surrender to it. I think all of these are examples of the force maintaining the balance brought by Anakin Skywalker. I think Anakin was prophesied by both Jedi and Sith. The Jedi knew him as the chosen one, whereas the Sith knew him as the Sith'ari. I think Anakin is an obvious allusion to Christ and Satan. In allegorical circles, Christ and Satan are two sides of the same coin. They represent the good and evil that everyone carries within them. With this in mind, I think episodes 1-6 are about the messiah figure bringing balance to the force, whereas episodes 7-12 will be about how balance of the force opens the door for love. This will likely be manifested as Reylo and episodes 10-12 involving them starting a family. The old Jedi were forbidden to love or be attached, and the Sith always fell prey to hatred. I think this is what Anakin started, but was unable to finish; love, peace, and harmony in the galaxy.

2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Jolee Bindo, theraphos and Ghost like this.
  3. McThuggin2011

McThuggin2011 Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2017
    I guess I was thinking of it from the perspective of Disney making more films instead of George Lucas' original intent.

4. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    From what I understand, Kennedy is still respecting the mythos that Lucas set up, so I doubt they will be changing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theraphos likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Actually, the dark side is part of the balance. It's a natural aspect of the Force that needs to be there.
    What GL has said is that balance doesn't mean an equal number of dark and light Force users.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If you want to focus on the sequel trilogy and how balance of the Force is manifested there, this thread in the Episodes VIII and IX forum would be better:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/light-dark-grey-in-tlj-ix.50045023/

There is also a thread on themes of The Force Awakens here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/analysis-of-the-force-awakens-themes-symbolism-etc.50037290/

Also, Reylo is a disallowed topic on the JC outside its fan club in Star Wars Community.

We'll keep this thread open if the discussion centers around balance of the Force across the overall saga. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Disney doesnt make the movies. They just provide the money.

Seagoat likes this.
  8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Pretty funny that people seem to believe "Reylo" would even happen. That would seem a little out-there for a Star Wars film.
    Plus there is still a possibility that they are related.

But on-topic, I'm waiting to see TLJ before I make solid judgement, after all the main thing I think the creation of the ST has muddied is why this is happening when the force was already supposedly in balance.
    Personally I hope Snoke doesn't come to near-full-control of the galaxy, wouldn't make sense that the dark side could reign again. A greyer situation would be more welcome.

9. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    What he literally said:
    "In an interview, Lucas compared the difference between the light and dark sides as being like the difference between a symbiotic relationship and a cancer. A symbiotic relationship is one which benefits both parties and in which neither is harmed, whereas a cancer takes without giving back, eventually causing the death of both parties
    - Wookipedia article about the "Chosen One", Section "Behind the scenes"

So balance is created by the symbiotic nature of the light side, and the Force becomes lopsided by the dark side.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Jedi are not the light side and the Jedi don't cause imbalance.

No, Lucas never said that. The balance of the Force is the balance between the dark side and the light. The Sith are not the dark side, nor are the Jedi the light side. When the Sith were destroyed, the dark side didn't cease to exist. It simply ceased to be exploited, which is what the Sith did. Balance was restored when that happened, in ROTJ.

The Sith caused the imbalance in the Force when they exploited the dark side and made it grow to take over the light.

MeBeJedi, True Sith and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  11. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    It's amazing that I can link directly to a page that has a direct quote from Lucas himself and people still disagree.

12. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Well, Lucas made it clear in The Clone Wars' Mortis episodes that the dark side is still a natural aspect of the force. It was out of balance because the Sith were corrupting it and overtaking the light too much, like Alexrd said basically. And a Lucas quote from several years ago isn't always set in stone..he could change his mind about things as he went along.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Furthermore, it isn't entirely straightforward even in the films, since fear, anger and hate are said to both be the dark side and lead to the dark side.
    There is simply more than one dimension to it. Fear and anger are within us. They are our dark side; they're hard-wired in us as natural responses to danger and hardships.
    What's problematic is when we let our dark side take control, dominate our being and way of life. That's turning to the dark side.

IOW, everyone has a dark side and it's important to acknowledge that without acting on the dark side - by balancing it out with one's light side.
    Otherwise, we'll be living on the dark side, radiating darkness and spreading it like a disease.

That's what GL meant.

MeBeJedi and Alexrd like this.
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There's no direct quote from Lucas that denies what I said.

15. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It was decided that learning the ways of the Force had to be a constant struggle for Luke and the he would always have to prove himself. In regard to the Dark Side of the Force, the story meeting transcripts suggest that although can't see it, it should be the real villain of the story. In his training Luke discovers the roots of the evil Force. The danger, the jeopardy is that Luke will become Vader, will be taken over. He has to fight the bad side and learn to work with the good side. Lucas felt that at one point during the training, Ben should explain to Luke that he should use his powers with moderation. If he uses too much of the Force, it will start to use him. For example, to lift objects Luke has to use the bad side of the Force, so if he overuses this power, the dark side will start taking him over as it did with Vader. When Luke fights, he has to use the dark side, but he is also using the good side for protection. In this episode Luke should embody the classic tale of the ugly duckling who becomes a hero, and by the end of the film Luke should have become Ben. - Annotated Screenplays

-----------------------------------

"GL: I think it is obvious that he was wrong in Episode 1 and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader - also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction, and Qui-Gonn are correct - Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor." - CUT magazine interview

----------------------------------------

Then we will get to the 3rd film, where he is seduced to the dark side, which brings up to films four, five, and six, where Anakin's offspring redeem him allowing him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe. - George Lucas - from the American ANH VHS tape in the making of Episode II in the 2000 release.

---------------------------------

MACE WINDU
    What do you sense, Master?

YODA
    Impossible to see ... The Dark Side
    clouds everything.

--------------------------------

MACE WINDU
    Why couldn't we see this attack on
    the Senator?

YODA
    Masking the future, is this