main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "The Force is Strong in My Family" - Rey, Luke (The Force Awakens)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMara77, May 20, 2015.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Parenting has never been easy in the Star Wars universe. This is a cool, fic JediMara77. I enjoyed the allusions to Luke's first meeting with Yoda. I also enjoyed your charcterization of Luke. No self pity. He made the decision to turn things around and he's ready to start.

I was not expecting to reveal at the end, but fit perfectly in what led up to it. Nicely done.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I came to this fic after everyone else already said everything I wanted to say, so I'll just list my squee moments.

"Hello there." SQUEE.

Artoo protesting that he's not missing Threepio. Mega-SQUEE.

"Who says I want to become a Jedi?" Giga-SQUEE.

"Because you are my daughter." *faints*

Like EP, I wouldn't be surprised if some of this at least turned out to be in TFA. One thing I really liked about the PT is how it had all these little moments and themes to mirror the OT, and since JJA isn't stupid I'm confident he'll include the basic motifs in the ST.

Also, great job at exploiting tiny details from the trailer and throwing in a tidbit from Rebels in there together with a (rather significant, but still vague enough) allusion to the Legends EU. I was both happy and sad to see the old EU thrown out, because it had its awesome points but also some all-time lows, but regardless, this pleasure of finding Legends snippets in new SW stories is something that I suspect newcomers to the fandom won't have.

Findswoman and Nyota's Heart like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, I'm rather embarrassingly late to the party, aren't I, reading this first in March 2016 a whole three months after the film came out? :eek: [face_blush] Well, I'll say that even after having seen the movie and seeing the buildup The Big Meeting at the very end, I still like the setup you have here quite a bit. In particular, I like that the first interaction between Rey and Luke is so simple and natural and even a little lighthearted, rather than serious and strained (which I bet is what we'll get in episode 8): a simple hello, followed by a quick explanation of frynocks ( :D ), followed by a friendly, informal invitation to the camp, followed by a pleasant conversation not devoid of lighthearted moments (“I speak to him often. He is my brother-in-law.”)

It looks as though you were spot on in your hypothesis about Kylo Ren as Luke's former, fallen student, and I really like the idea of Luke and Rey working as a team to bring Kylo Ren back to the light. (Which I think is probably what's going to happen in the films—such a contrast from the way it was in the OT, with Luke basically having to go it alone.)

“I don’t care what they’re calling themselves nowadays. They’re always the same": Loved this bit, because it's exactly how I feel about both the First Order and the Resistance in the new film! [face_laugh]

I enjoyed Artoo's presence in this (of course, when is Artoo's presence not a treat?) and the way you have him still by Luke's side as a faithful companion after all these years—even though the situation with Artoo turned out to be different in the film (and I'm by no means impugning you or your story by saying that), I am very much rooting for some kind of meaningful reunion between Luke and Artoo in the next film. :)

Mighty fine work—thanks so much for sharing, and again, I'm sorry to come so late! :)

Ewok Poet likes this.