main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force is strong in this one....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TuffMutha, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TuffMutha

TuffMutha Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2004
    If, while pursuing Luke's X-wing along the trench of the Death Star, Vader was able to remark of him, "The Force is strong in this one...", and yet on numerous occasions in Episode IV, Vader stood in close proximity to Leia, then how come Vader could not (or did not) sense that The Force was also strong in Leia?

Please, no cynical justifications here to suggest that George Lucas didn't know who Vader/Luke/Leia ultimately were when Episode IV was released.

And please, no sexist remarks to suggest that The Force would be stronger in Luke than in Leia because of their genders.

Food for thought.
    TM.

2. geordiejedi1982

geordiejedi1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    I figured it was because Leia wasn't using the force at any point in ANH, so he wouldn't sense it. With Luke, he had Obi-Wan chatting away to him, and Luke was probably using it a little as well, meaning Vader had something to pick up.

3. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    While Vader didn't say the Force was strong in Leia, it is quite possible he sensed it but we never saw him say it. Also, Luke's strength in the Force is probably more noticable because he recieved at least some training in how to use it before he "met" Vader. Leia, didn't and it's possible that's why Vader didn't sense it.

4. izzyoz

izzyoz Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2004
    leia wasnt aware of the force let alone trained in it... i think this the main reason for vader not mentioning it

5. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Luke is told to use the force by Obi-Wan and he has had some basic training while Leia has had no training and doesn't even know she has force potential.

6. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Luke was aware of the Force and was using it in the trench; Leia had no knowledge of the Force and was not using it on the Death Star.

7. AVECEASAR

AVECEASAR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2004
    Isn't it "The force is strong WITH this one"? If I'm wrong - bash me :)

8. Darth-Kyp

Darth-Kyp Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2004
    You are correct, Aveceasar.

9. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2004
    The Force was in Leia too but she didn't know anything about it let alone how to use it.

She was using it on the DS, unknowingly though, when Vader told Tarkin... "her resistance to the mind probe is considerable it will be some time before we can extract any information from her"....

10. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Actually, Aveceasar, you aren't. I just watched the clip, and the accent is on the "Strong".

At least, in the original edition.

11. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    " And please, no sexist remarks to suggest that The Force would be stronger in Luke than in Leia because of their genders "

It probably has nothing to do with gender but for whatever reason its pretty obvious to me that Luke is the stronger of the two in the force. I hope you dont think thats sexist.

12. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    I think everyone has good answers, "from a certain point of view". To me, it's like being around someone that has a positive personality, a people-person if you will. They know they usually have a positive impact on people they meet because they realize they have the capacity to do so, so they practice that "talent" or "gift" to help people and in turn, people "feel" that vibe coming from that individual. In Luke's case, he had accepted the fact that he had the capacity to become a Jedi and could be a Force-wielder. So, maybe Vader sensed that from Luke when he was behind him in his tie-fighter. Interesting footnote: Was Leia truly oblivious to the Force? She addressed Obi-Wan as "General Kenobi" in her message to him through R2-D2, but does that mean she didn't know he was a Jedi? She knew his name was Obi-Wan or else R2-D2 wouldn't have said he was the property "of a Obi-Wan Kenobi". Maybe she just heard stories of him, never knew him, who knows? (Hurry up, May 19th...)

13. DarthNigel

DarthNigel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 14, 2003
    This observation by Vader comes right as Obi-Wan is communicating with Luke through the Force, instructing him to "let go", prompting Luke to switch off his targeting computer.

It stands to reason that whatever "aura" Luke projects in the Force, which Vader is able to detect, would be heightened at this moment.

14. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Who says he didn't sense it? What's he going to do? It would be funny if, say while Tarkin and Leia are talking, Vader interupting them and blurting out "the Force is strong in this one"

What would he do? Train her? She's a Senator, a traitor, and scheduled for termination.

15. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    But weren't Jedi still condemned? I think he would want to kill her even more, unless he knew she was his daughter: "...then perhaps she will!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.