main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The force is with him"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Turkey, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Turkey

Darth_Turkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2004
    Hello all, first post in quite some time but i cant recallthis ever being raised before. I was thinking yesterday and i wondered what exactly the meaning of the phrase "The force is with you/him/us" actually means? It's used many times by different people to convey different meanings.

"The force is with us master sideous" Dooko returning from beating Anakin and Obi-wan

"Obi Wan is here, the force is with him" Vader on the death star

"The force is with you young skywalker" Vader confonting Luke.

Now, does this mean they are sensitive to the nature or the swing of the force in each instance?

i.e. When Dooko says it,the darkside is growing and they feel their victory is the will of the force,the force is "on their side" so to speak?

If this is the case, does Vader know the force favours Luke when first they meet, feeling a shift in the balance of the force from dark to good? Is this what Palps means when he says he's felt a disterbance in the force?

We dont hear anyone use this phrase to my recollection in ROTS, but i think it would have been cool to hear anakins perseption of this at the time of his turn. Was the force with him when he was slaughtering the children? Or was it with Obi-wan which heped seal Anakins defeat? This could be why Anakin found what he'd done so overwealming, and why he knew he'd done so much wrong when he cries on Mustafar, maybe he believes not even the force is with him anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

2. DMWseeker

DMWseeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2005
    COME BACK TO THE SITH MIND TRICK AND READ THE WHOLE THREAD! IT IS ASTOUNDING!

3. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    You make some really good points Darth_Turkey. I never thought of it like that. The fact that the force is more on one's side than the other is a neat perspective to "The Force is with us..." etc.
    Can't believe I said neat.[face_peace]

4. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    Thanks. It occoured to me the other day. Does the force take a side or is it simply force users perception of the force? If anyone has a deffinatice answer or anything cannon i'd love to hear it.

I think it adds quite a weird twist to the vader - Luke fight if indeed "The force is with you" means "The force is on your side" so to speak. As Vader entered the fight knowing the force balance was switching against him.

5. sithreaper

sithreaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    The force takes sides. I think that the force betrays Anakin during his duel with Kenobi. I think at any other time Anakin could make that jump over Kenobi but the force simply couldn?t let an all powerful Anakin become the ruler of the galaxy.

6. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I think it is just a figure of speech.
    It just means "good luck" as far as I can see.
    Like "The God's are smiling on us" kind of thing...

Might be more suited to the Saga Forums too...

But, regarding the "taking sides" issue - a while back, I would have said that the Force is totally neutral and does not take sides.
    After seeing the PT and all of Lucas' comments in recent years, it seems clearer to me now that the Jedi work in harmony with the Force, and the Sith abuse the Force.
    The Jedi listen to the will of the Force, and the Sith wish to command the Force to do their will.

In that way, the Force is just "out there", and it has a will of its own.
    It is trying to acheive a state of balance, and the Sith specifically are throwing the Force out of balance.
    It still doesn't necessarily "favour" anyone, but the Jedi are in tune with that state of balance which is trying to occur naturally.
    The Sith are not.

7. Darth_Turkey

Sep 5, 2004
    Thats definately possible. The force had a grand design, to be balanced, and anakin needed to be the one to balance it. He was created for this perpous and only he could achieve this. If anakin had won to the duel, overthrown palps and remained evil, ruling the galaxy, the force would never have been balanced. Things had to play out the way they did after anakin turned to the darkside, he needed to be brought down a peg or two to achive his destiny, a destiny he should have completed by killing palps. Since that did'nt go down the way it should have the force maybe took steps to ensure balance could one day be achived and this meant "not being with anakin" so to speak. IMO.

The force resides from living cells, there is a "will" of the force, maybe more spiritual and kind of like Carma maybe. It's entirely possible that it has a grand design, so to speak, anakin is part of that and the design shifts to favour this destiny, and allow or aid Anakin to reach it's goal, one way or another, even if it means anakin must suffer for his mis-use of this power, he gets there in the end, the way "The Force" depicted he should.

8. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Yea, I agree with GiG.

Is like the saying, "May the force be with you", is the 'hope its goes well' part.

Then, the saying "the force is with us" is the - its gone well part.

The force doesnt have a bias towards either side, it merely strives for a balance between the two.

However, I guess in AOTC when Dooku says that the force is out of balance and leaning towards the dark side because of his/Sidious' actions. So the force is more with them at this point.

But, to be honest, I think ins just a saying:

'Everything is going as planned, the force is with us'.

9. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Now, does this mean they are sensitive to the nature or the swing of the force in each instance?

Like GiG said, its just a phrase. Even Hans Solo said may the force be with you. I wonder if there were phrases like "break a leg" in the GFFA. For example, "May the force rain on your parade". :p

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Great topic idea, but this is far more suited to the Saga Forums.

11. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    We dont hear anyone use this phrase to my recollection in ROTS, but i think it would have been cool to hear anakins perseption of this at the time of his turn.

it was said By Palps when he Knighted Anakin.

Palpatine :" The Force is strong with you " , A powerful Sith you will become "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.