main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi The Force isn't Strong in this One...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Darth Knight, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Darth Knight

Darth Knight Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2014
    Introduction
    Hello! I'm new here, and this is my first post. This post is the reason I made this account just so you know so I figured I'd skip the introduction section. I read the rules and I felt this post belonged here, so please don't assault me if I'm wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Background Info
    Star Wars was a large part of my childhood (basically all of my childhood) and growing up I loved every single aspect of it. I watched the OT before the PT and liked all 6 films. However, I started to sort of wander off from Star Wars for no reason at some point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Actual Reason I Made this Thread
    There is actually a point to this thread other than just me rambling. Here's the problem: I really like Star Wars. I want to try to get back into it again but their are just so many problems. Examples:
    -Midichlorians
    -I have no clue what canon is or means
    -I have no clue what non-canon is or means
    -The general timeline of Star Wars confuses me to no end
    -Jar Jar
    -I have hardly gotten into the EU at all
    -I have no clue where to start with the EU
    -"I don't like sand."

Help. Please. What is canon? What's the term mean? I've heard it means what actually happened but I don't get the concept of it? How did something that didn't happen happen? If that even makes sense? Because it doesn't to me. Please explain. Also I've heard how different characters have supposedly done different things at the same time or something, an example I'm making up would be Han Solo meeting Luke when he did, and then Han Solo shooting stormtroopers at the same exact time he would've been meeting Luke in the movies?

This might not make any sense to you, it makes no sense to me, but please try and help me out.
    May the comprehension skills of my incoherent rambling be with you.

2. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    welcome :)

-Midichlorians
    PT forum will explain the concept much better than the films did
    -I have no clue what canon is or means-
    Canon means if something is "fact" or not if it's canon it means it happened, don't concern yourself with canon levels, it's nonsense imo
    -I have no clue what non-canon is or means
    it didn't happen
    -The general timeline of Star Wars confuses me to no end
    it's ok it's all "legends" now anyway
    -Jar Jar
    understandable :p
    -I have hardly gotten into the EU at all
    neither have I
    -I have no clue where to start with the EU
    what characters do you like in star wars? would you rather read before or after the saga?
    -"I don't like sand."
    it's ok :p

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Moved to WNU.

4. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Welcome to the forum :)

Due to the Disney's the canon levels are a thing of the past. All of the EU has been rebranded legends and is now all officially non-canon (which means it didn't happen as Crystalia said).

The only things that are currently part of the Star Wars timeline are the the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and the clone wars tv show. All story material bearing the Star Wars name from this point onwards will be considered canon (i.e. it did happen).

Hope that clears things up a little

5. Darth Knight

Darth Knight Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2014
    So what if I see I book and I don't know if it's canon? How do I tell? I have plenty of Star Wars novels, and I see a bunch at the book store, friends houses, etc how can I tell if they're canon?

Oh and also thanks for helping right away. I've been on different forums for different reasons and a lot of people on other forums can be...hesitant to be helpful to say the least.

6. Visitant

Visitant Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 20, 2014
    Well, I don't think any books from the "new canon" are out yet, so all the currently published novels would be non-canon (except the movie novelizations).

By the way, I'm only a newbie myself, but welcome! :)

7. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Dark Knight! :)

Yep, this forum is a lot different to other forums and we give our best that it stays this way. So, if you ever have a question or a problem, don't hesitate to ask or to send a message to any mod around. :)

About your questions, they got answered, right? At least with the basic info. For in depth discussion, I suggest to visit the board that focus on it, since there you'll get lots more answers and more probably more details. But that doesn't mean that you can't ask in here as well. :)

Oh, and the concept if canon is nice but stupid imho now that Disney changed it. So take what you like and keep enjoying SW!

See you around! :)

Lord Chazza likes this.
  8. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Absolutely. Things such as the Thrawn trilogy or the X-Wing series may no longer be part of what Disney has defined Star Wars canon but it's still very much part of my personal canon and many other people's canons as well.

epithree likes this.
  9. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Canon is what's confirmed to have actually happened in the universe, no point in starting EU now, it's all non-canon.

10. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Welcome Darth Knight. :)

I would recommend taking a cue from Lord Chazza by creating your own personal canon. Why deprive yourself of all the stellar stories that are no longer deemed 'Star Wars canon' by Disney? I understand that it does cause problems when attempting to join particular discussions. Personally, I just don't participate in those conversations. A fan's personal preference is quite important IMO. It should take precedence over silly restrictions.

Anyway, whatever path you take, enjoy your stay!

Lord Chazza likes this.