main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force: Monotheistic or Polytheistic?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darthcarpet, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthcarpet

Darthcarpet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    is the force
    either A. monotheistic
    or B. polytheistic
    or neither?

Edited title.

2. Delta_62

Delta_62 Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 20, 2005
    polymonowhat?

3. Tion_Meddon

Tion_Meddon Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
  4. DARTHIRONCLAD

DARTHIRONCLAD Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I think it's polytheistic because the Gungans refer to their higher power as "The Gods." However, I don't think it really matters, all that matters is that you understand that there is a higher power that is part of the Force that helps guides these characters, as long as they choose to walk a path of righteousness. I think The Whills may be like deities, but like I said it really doesn't matter. It kind of seems that Obi-Wan became like a deity, however, even as a spirit he didn't seem to know that Anakin was The Chosen One until after Anakin destroys Sidious.

5. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    This is what makes SW so great. The Force is in everything, it is everything. The Star Wars universe lends itself to monotheistic religions because there is one unifying force behind everything.

6. QCPsychoJedi

QCPsychoJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 10, 2002
    It's not monotheistic or polytheistic. That's the beauty, it's all based on your point of view. The entire saga is always stressing the importance of point of view.

The gungans can have 'gods' the force witches of dathomir can call it whatever they want, and the Jedi simply label it, the force. It's a non descript term for something that has no ties.

Polytheism is the belief in many gods and monotheism is the belief in one god. But the Force is not a deity at all. It is just an energy field created, sustained and supported by living things, plain and simple.

By that definition it isn't actually a religion at all but a spiritual path one chooses to engulf themselves in. It carries both positive and negative qualities to it but those qualities only become positive or negative based on what?

Point of view.

7. Razzen

Razzen Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    Polytheism is the belief in many gods and monotheism is the belief in one god. But the Force is not a deity at all. It is just an energy field created, sustained and supported by living things, plain and simple.

What you're talking about is the Unifying Force, but the Force also has a will of its own, which is what Qui-Gon means by the "Living Force" and Obi-Wan accedes to Luke that it partially controls your actions. If it did not have a will there would be no "Chosen One" and no destiny, since such things require a deterministic, rationally aware entity to set events in motion.

No, I think the Force is a type of pantheism where its divine will exists in all living beings, who each hear it in their own way. It's also heavily dualistic, de-emphasizing Matter and elevating Spirit.

8. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I don't really think of the Force as a religion. It is clear (cf. Yoda, ESB) that the Force is created by living things, so it is not something outside the universe, but a natural property of the universe, created by life. Additionally, people don't interface with the Force in any supernatural kind of way, but via the action of the midichlorians. Finally, there are no miracles, but the great actions of people who are naturally gifted by having a high midichlorian count, and have also trained to learn how to use the Force.

9. Darthcarpet

Nov 5, 2004
    i never called the force a religion the mods changed the title it was originally called the force

10. anglachel

anglachel Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2005
    All we know of the Force is what is stated by the Jedi (religion) or the Sith (religion). They each have completely different perspectives on presumably the same thing. Seems pretty similar to the real world IMHO.

Just because Yoda says the Force is something doesn't make it so, it only means that's the Jedi perception of it. Obviously they know enough about it to use it, but why should we believe they know the true source of the Force. Humans learned to use fire far before they had an understanding of what it was.

11. olorinrides

olorinrides Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    neither - there is no divinity in star wars

12. Darthcarpet

Nov 5, 2004
    no divinity?[face_praying]
    are you kidding? [face_pig]

13. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    My personal view of it is Poly.

I think there is The Unifying Force and The Living Force.

14. General_Marlboro

General_Marlboro Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    Polytheistic. Yodo explains the force is everywhere, in the rocks, this does not matter. (poking lukes shoulder) The native americans as well as south american tribes believed in many gods that were in rocks, trees, and clouds. Hence rain dances and medicine men.

15. Razzen

Razzen Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    Polytheistic. Yodo explains the force is everywhere, in the rocks

That's pantheism, the idea that god is in everything. Polytheism is simply the belief that there is more than one god. Remember, it's "the Force", not "a Force" or "the Forces", so it can only be a single divine entity.

All we know of the Force is what is stated by the Jedi (religion) or the Sith (religion). They each have completely different perspectives on presumably the same thing. Seems pretty similar to the real world IMHO.

Just because Yoda says the Force is something doesn't make it so, it only means that's the Jedi perception of it. Obviously they know enough about it to use it, but why should we believe they know the true source of the Force.

This is a very good point. We only ever see two active Force traditions as you say, and it's certainly possible that other belief systems exist in this fictional universe. However, since we only have those perspectives it's impossible for us to consider the Force in any way beyond what those sources tell us. That's typical of any fictional story though, as we're always limited by the points of view that the writers give us. So from what we've been told I think it's fair to say that the Force is pantheistic in type and has a singular will.

16. cygnusdrache

cygnusdrache Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    neither - it's non-theistic.

There is no creator god or deity - and I don't think the characteristics of the Force are consistent with a theism that involves a deity at all. The Force is a neutral power - it's available to both the light side and the dark side, and apparently neither side is more powerful.

17. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The Force is an energy field, generated by all living things. On the small scale, in the "here and now", life creates it (hence the Living Force.)
    The Force created by each and every living thing combines to form a single Force, extending through space across the galaxy, and also through time- through this, you can see the past and the future. This is the Unifying Force.

It stands to reason that, in the same way, the Will of the Force is a combination of the will of every living thing that creates the Force- the ultimate democracy. Hence the close parallels between the story of Anakin's rise and fall and the story of the rise and fall of the Empire.

There is no need to introduce a god or deity behind the Force, so my answer is that it's atheistic.

18. Hungry_Ghost

Hungry_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    The native americans as well as south american tribes believed in many gods that were in rocks, trees, and clouds.

The belief that each rock and tree is inhabited by its own god or spirit is animism. I think Razzen is right that the form of theism closest to the Force is pantheism.

19. cygnusdrache

cygnusdrache Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    The belief that each rock and tree is inhabited by its own god or spirit is animism. I think Razzen is right that the form of theism closest to the Force is pantheism.

Close - but the link to pantheism also discusses panentheism - which sounds like it hits the nail on the head.

20. SabeForQueen

SabeForQueen Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2002
    I agree with those that say the Force isn't exactly theological in the first place. In SW, the Force & Jedi are certainly used to represent religion/spirituality and it does very well in a vague unifying way. But if you analyze it, the Force just doesn't hold up as a religion in terms of explaining God/Creator/Reason for Being. I mean, the Force gives a reason for being after its existence, but as its creation is after humans/aliens exist to create it, what was their purpose before its existance? Maybe it's polytheistic in the sense that it seems to make all humans/aliens gods by spawning such power and being the origin of such purpose, immortal in not having their own clearly defined origin? :(
    Supposedly the Force is the source of power but itself is created, etc. So it's not any kind of God at all. It is a religion tho in the sense that there is a belief about it and its ways that people follow dogmatically, viewing life & the universe thru its lens, and dedicating their own services to it.
    Frankly, I don't understand how it can have will and such when it's energy created by humans/aliens. I understand it could have kinds of laws of behavior which might be poetically termed its will & nature...
    Well, I like its use alot in the films but I'm certainly glad it's not my religion. ! As an energy field and "the" Force, I'm assuming that it is one (mono) but not theistic.

21. olorinrides

May 17, 2005
    olorinrides: neither - there is no divinity in star wars

darthcarpet: no divinity?
    are you kidding?

no, i'm not kidding. The only god in star wars was Threepio in ROTJ - and I think that we can all agree that the Ewoks were quite mistaken in his divine powers.

22. Your Worship

Your Worship Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 1998
    olinrides is right about divinity - there is no godhead or deity, and divinity is linked to a godhead figure.

but it IS a religion -

Religion:
    1. a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

23. Darthcarpet

Nov 5, 2004
    to olorinrides
    just becuase a god isnt mentioned does not mean no one believed in them
    you say c3po was the only god in star wars what about qui gon meantioning the gungan gods to boss nass?[face_devil]

24. olorinrides

May 17, 2005
    re: gungan gods

good point! I'm sure that there are many 'divinities' in the star wars universe. my point is that the FORCE is not theistic in nature (at least in my interpretation)

25. Darthcarpet

Nov 5, 2004
    come to think of it obi wan says the force is a mystical energy hmm ????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.