main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force: Monotheistic or Polytheistic?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darthcarpet, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    "...regarded as creator and governor of the universe" ~ Your Worship

But it was pointed out before you posted that that the Force is not the creator (at least as far as we know). It is created by living things who influence and are influenced by it, but it is not the creator. It can create (like Anakin's case) but that was still influenced by Plagueus or Sidious.

I hold that the Force is not theistic in terms of mono or poly because those gods tend to have a personality whereas the Force is just there. The true gods within Star Wars are the ones who use the power of the Force. It puts them at a higher state, like the Greek gods looking down from Olympus. The Force users have the wisdom to see things from "a certain point of view" and the power to make things what they percieve to be as "right", so it could be construed that the Force creates a polytheistic race of demigods. I think the greatest example of this (sorry if I'm supposed to focus more on movie and less on EU) is Joruus C'Boath. On Wayland, he used his power and foresight because of the Force to be able to judge his subjects and reward/punish them for doing what he thought was right/wrong. The Force allowed him to become a god on Wayland, and somewhat in the Imperial Remnant.

All the greatest Force users are the same: Obi-Wan, Yoda, Palpatine, Luke, Anakin, Kyp Durron, Exar Kun. They used the wisdom and power they gained from the Force to make themselves gods in their own little sector of the universe.

2. Darthcarpet

Darthcarpet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2004
    from dictionary.com

look at 1,b and no5 i dident know i was in the dictionary[face_laugh]

1 God
    a. A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
    b. The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
    3 A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
    4An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
    One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
    5 A very handsome man.
    6 A powerful ruler or despot.

3. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    Darthcarpet posted on 5/29/05 6:39am
    is the force
    either A. monotheistic
    or B. polytheistic
    or neither?

[b]Edited title.[/b]
    [hr][/blockquote]

seems like neither. from the information gathered of the Force from the 6 movies it doesnt sound like it can be identified as a "person/s". it is an entity indeed, but not quite as "tangible" as a monotheistic or polytheistic dieties. its an entity combined with the "state of being" belief of Buddhism (Nirvana) and the Yin-Yang (Light/ Dark) principle of Taoism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.