main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Force That Binds Ep I: Knightshift (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, ocs) *COMPLETED* Downloadable chapters!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by spiritgurl, Aug 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    [image=http://www.zalibethe.com/kenobi/images/knightshift.jpg]

TITLE: The Force That Binds Episode I: Knightshift (formerly "Coruscant Girl")
    RATING: PG (high end of rating)
    AUTHOR: Liz aka Spirit Gurl
    WHEN: about 6/7 months before The Phantom Menace
    CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Nahlia Anteros (OC), other original characters such as:Diora Dega, Zep Wilco, and Narcime Venu
    PREFACE: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are on Coruscant investigating the disappeance of a Senator's daughter when a disturbing vision draws Obi-Wan into a nightclub.
    GENRE: Mainly romance, some humor, angst, mystery, action... oh heck, a little bit of everything. ;)
    WRITER'S NOTES: Dialogue in this story that is the English translation of alien language (such as Huttese) is written "//Like this.//"
    FEEDBACK: Yes, please in thread or via PM. Constructive criticism much preferred via PM
    DOWNLOADABLE CHAPTERS: If you prefer to read this offline you can download chapters in Word:
    Ch. 1-5, Ch. 6-10, Ch. 11-15, Ch. 16-20
    NOMINATIONS: Nominated Winter 2003 for Best Romance in the Before the Saga forum
    REVIEWS: This story received 2 "Very Good" reviews in the Aug-Oct 2004 Fan Fic Newsletter. Go HERE to read. :)
    DISCLAIMER: Obi-Wan, and other Star Wars people, places, and concepts do not belong to me. They belong to GL. Original characters and the story in itself do belong to me, please do not reproduce without my permission.

PM me if you want to be added to my PM updates list

Links and info on other The Force That Binds episodes

LISTED AT:
    The Obi-Wan Fan Fic index
    An Original Romance
    The it's a looooong story index

[image=http://www.zalibethe.com/jedicouncil/images/alertnovellaobi.jpg]

Chapter 1

"Obi-Wan, are you there?" asked the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn over the young Padawan's comlink.

Obi-Wan quickly stepped to the side of the crowded Coruscant street he'd been walking down and lifted the small device to his mouth. "Yes, Master."

"Have you found anything?"

"No, Master," He said solemnly. "There's no sign of the girl. I've been showing her hologram around but it seems no one recognizes her." He reflected on some of the unsavory characters he'd been in contact with that night in the course of searching. "I have a feeling most of them wouldn't tell me if they did."

"Be patient, Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon advised. "Use the Force. Let it guide you."

"I will, Master." He answered obediently. "What about you? Any leads?"

"No, I'm afraid not." Obi-Wan could hear the concern in Qui-Gon's voice. "But," Qui-Gon added, "I feel certain we will find Senator Fantui's daughter."

"I hope so, Master." Obi-Wan answered.

After a moment, he placed the comlink back on his belt next to his lightsaber. He surveyed the passing crowds before closing his eyes - concentrating, reaching out to them through the Force. He didn't worry about some low life sneaking up on him, trying to make a prize of a Jedi Padawan. He felt certain that the Force would

2. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    WoW nice details. You showed good parts in your story. Poor Obi-Wan, poor padawan.
    Great post.

3. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks. :) Glad you liked it so far.

Btw, I should share this link:Star Wars dot com. This is where I got the Huttese used in this fan fic. There are lots of phrases and words listed. Don't know if all of them are correct but they look pretty good to me.

sg

4. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Chapter 2

Obi-Wan followed the petite waitress and watched as she went behind the bar to empty the broken glass from her tray. "But, I must speak with you." He shouted over the loud music of the club.

Nahlia could hear him, barely, but chose to ignore him. 'Jedi,' she rolled her eyes. 'What kind of idiot does he take me for?' She looked up at him finally. "What?"

"I must speak with you." Obi-Wan repeated. "It is urgent Jedi business."

She quickly began to fill her tray with drinks that the bartender had set up on the bar for her. "Well, I have some urgent waitress business to attend so I'm afraid you're on your own with that. Sorry." She put on a fake smile, "Good luck with that 'urgent Jedi business' though."

"But I -" Obi-Wan started but she was already off again to serve another table. 'Why is she being so difficult?!' He wondered, flustered. He looked around at the crowded club. 'Qui-Gon said that the Senator's daughter had been known to sneak off and frequent clubs like this; perhaps one of these people have seen her.' He dug into a pouch on his belt and pulled out the small round holoprojector that contained the girl's image. 'I could ask around, and keep an eye on the waitress. Then when things slow down, perhaps she'll be more inclined to speak with me.'

He began to make his way around the club, stopping at tables and showing patrons a holographic image of the missing girl. No one seemed to recognize her causing Obi-Wan to grow more and more frustrated and impatient as the evening passed.

"A Jedi?" A Mon Calamari approached Obi-Wan eagerly. He smiled with his wide fish like mouth as he took note of the lightsaber hanging from Obi-Wan's belt. "You are a Jedi!" He quickly took Obi-Wan's hand in his and began shaking it.

"Hello," Obi-Wan smiled back and watched as his arm seemed to flap with the force of the creature's enthusiastic handshake. "I am Obi-Wan Kenobi."

"Maloi Nabbero. What a great pleasure it is to meet a Jedi."

"Thank you. It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Maloi."

"Come." Maloi motioned to a nearby table. "Sit. Have a drink on me, Jedi."

"It's Obi-Wan. And I'm sorry. I can't I-"

"I insist!" Maloi grabbed Obi-Wan's arm firmly and directed him over to the table. "It is the least I can do for a Jedi. Do you know a Jedi once saved my entire family from a rabid Vizocian?"

"A Vizocian, really?" Obi-Wan had only seen pictures of the enourmous aquatic creatures in the Jedi Archives. With long sharp teeth and claws and a whiplike tail that could slice a man in half - it was hard to imagine even a Jedi surviving a confrontation with such a creature. "Who was it that saved your family?"

"Master Yoda." Maloi revealed. "A great, great Jedi he is. So you see, because of Master Yoda's service to my family, I simply must show every Jedi my gratitude and hospitality." Maloi began to pout. "Please? You must be thirsty. Surely there is no harm in a drink?"

Obi-Wan hesitated. He had better things to do, that was for sure, but he could see that the Mon Calamari would be hurt, if not offended by his refusal. Besides, he'd seen Qui-Gon drink at such places from time to time. He surmised that it couldn't be that bad. "I am a little thirsty."

"Marvelous!" Maloi wrapped an arm around Obi-Wan's shoulder and guided him the rest of the way to his booth. "Waitress," he called to a nearby blonde woman carrying a tray. "Two Red Vortexes over here!"

The waitress nodded and headed over to the bar. Nahlia was there collecting drinks on her own tray when the blonde waitress made her customer's request to the bartender.

"Red Vortexes?!" Nahlia asked surprised. "Aren't those supposed to be incredibly strong?"

"I just take the orders," the blonde told her. "What happens to the customer afterwards isn't my concern."

Later that evening, the tall red Twi'lek DJ waved at Nahlia from behind her booth and the young waitress headed over. "How do you like th

5. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Chapter 3

Qui-Gon Jinn looked unusually anxious as he stood in the middle of the Jedi Council room - faced by a frowning Yoda and Mace Windu seated in their respective chairs.

"I am sorry, Masters," Qui-Gon sighed. "I told him to return to the temple. He must have been sidetracked somehow."

"Perhaps you should call him on your comlink again." Mace suggested with a tone of impatience in his voice.

Qui-Gon hesitated as he recalled the strange questions and behavior that came from his padawan earlier. He wasn't sure that the two Jedi Council members would find these things proper or even remotely amusing if this were to occur again. "No, that's not necessary. I'm sure he's on his way."

"Start without him, we shall." Yoda told him.

"Very well." Qui-Gon agreed - eager to get the topic off of his missing Padawan. "While searching for Marae Fantui, I came across an elderly Twi'lek man who told me that his son has been missing as well for several weeks. He reported this to the local authorities but they have yet to find any information on his disappearance."

"And you think the disappearances are connected?" Mace asked, interested.

"I think there is a strong possibility of it, yes." Qui-Gon continued. "Marae has been missing for several days and there has been no ransom demand. I believe if this has been done for political or monetary gain, Senator Fantui would have heard from her kidnappers by now."

"Mmmmm..." Yoda interjected. "Lack patience, the greedy do. Want everything all at once."

"I checked the Coruscant Police's database as well," Qui-Gon explained. "There have been five other cases of missing persons reported in the past two months; all have disappeared without a trace."

Yoda scratched his chin for a moment, deeply concerned. "Cut out for you, your work here is."

"Indeed." Qui-Gon nodded at the smaller, much older, Jedi master. "The Coruscant Police have doubled their night patrols, so that should help prevent any more kidnappings. I believe the best course of action in the meantime would be for my Padawan and I to investigate these other cases ourselves."

Mace raised an eyebrow. "That is, of course, if you can locate your Padawan."

Qui-Gon cleared his throat anxiously before answering. "I don't know what could be keeping him."

Obi-Wan pulled Nahlia close to him as he pressed his lips down upon hers. She resisted only a moment, then he was intrigued by the feeling of her soft lips opening against his. Inexperienced with kissing, he matched the gentle pressure and motions of her mouth with his own. A small murmur escaped her lips for a moment as she continued kissing him back. The sound excited him almost as much as the kissing. She slid her hands under his robe and around his waist. As she pulled her petite frame up against his firm young body, an unfamiliar feeling grew within Obi-Wan, a feeling he had, like so many other Jedi, forbidden himself to feel: desire.

Just then, the door opened up and Nahlia's friend Trindi entered quickly - catching the two kissing. "Oh, I'm sorry..." The Twi'lek woman appeared amused as she watched her embarrassed friend pull away from Obi-Wan.

"Nahlia, your cheeks are nearly as red as mine." Trindi teased.

Nahlia continued to catch her breath for a moment. She could feel the heat coming off her now bright red cheeks, but instead her fingers and thoughts were drawn to the warmth generated on her lips from her embrace with Obi-Wan. "Um..." she tried to think of an explanation for what had happened but all that came out of her mouth was, "He's drunk."

"I see." Trindi watched as the young Padawan swayed slightly, still somewhat unsteady on his feet, as the ardent gaze he kept on Nahlia remained unbroken. "But you're not."

"Why did you stop?" Obi-Wan finally asked. He stepped closer to Nahlia and reached out to touch her cheek but she pulled away and grabbed a black jacket from a hanger on the wall, b

6. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    This is very good.

7. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks Crystal. I'm going to try to get another chapter up by the end of the week. ;)

sg

8. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Yes, it's wonderful.

9. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks Dev. I got sidetracked with other things but I'm going to have chapter 4 up in a few days. What I may do for other R rated chapters is see if I can edit them down to PG-13, if possible, and still post them here. :) Episode I should wind up being about 13 chapters I think.

The Coruscant Girl website has got other things to check out if anybody's interested, such as a character page with pictures, a creature page, a soundtrack page, etc... Just PM me for a URL.

sg

10. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Interesting so far. I like the point of view the story comes from.

11. MoonChild

MoonChild Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I like it!

12. Jeanida_Myrishi

Jeanida_Myrishi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2003
    Me too, I really like where this is going... I really do, *smirks*

More?Soon?Please?

13. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks! :) Glad you all are liking it. I got a bit sidetracked with other stuff recently but I'll try and have CH 4 up as soon as possible.

sg

14. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Chapter 4

Nahlia nervously looked back into the darkened street. The footsteps falling behind her were soft, but in her already panicked state, they sounded loud as Trindi's thunderous music beats. "I'm almost home... I'm almost home..." she chanted nervously to herself.

Obi-Wan remained in the shadows, watching Nahlia from a distance. He had rushed to her rescue, only to realize that she seemed to be in no danger. 'I am sensing fear in her, but why?' Obi-Wan thought as he trailed her. 'If I introduce myself again, she's going to wonder why I followed her. What am I supposed to tell her?' He sighed, both frustrated and concerned. 'Hello, I'm Obi-Wan Kenobi. I've had a vision of your death.' He shook his head. 'The truth would only panic her.'

Suddenly, Nahlia stopped, reached into her jacket and whipped around to face Obi-Wan. She aimed a small blaster into the darkness where he was standing. "Okay! I know someone is there! Come out, NOW."

Obi-Wan stood there for a moment, stunned by this strange development. 'Oh, not good.' He mused apprehensively. He cautiously stepped out of the shadows to face her. "Uh... I'm sorry, I think there's been a misunderstanding."

"You?!" She continued to aim the blaster at him suspiciously. "Why are you following me?"

"I... uh..." Obi-Wan drew a blank for a moment. 'I can't tell her about the vision. At the moment, I doubt she'd believe me anyway.' He remembered he still had the holoprojector in his belt pocket. "I needed to ask you something. I am looking for a girl."

"Well that's obvious," she scoffed. "You might try going back to the club then."

"No. I am a Jedi on a mission. I'm looking for a missing girl. I thought you may have seen her." He started to reach under his robe.

"Don't you move!" She warned. "And don't give me that Jedi line. Jedi don't hang out nightclubs, drinking... and... and kissing girls..."

"I know normally you don't see us in a place like that but..." Suddenly the last part of her comment registered with him. "I kissed girls?"

"You don't remember?!" She asked, insulted, angry and still pointing the blaster.

He raised his hands in submission. "I remember! I remember!" His memory from when he was drunk was still foggy but he soon came up with an answer that surprised him a bit. "I...I kissed you." Obi-Wan sighed. He was disappointed in his actions. "I am sorry... I shouldn't have done that."

Nahlia relaxed her aim a bit - surprised by the melancholy in his response. "No. You shouldn't have..."

Obi-Wan tried to step a bit closer to her. "I really must talk to you."

Still wary of him, she took a step back and kept her blaster aimed at his head. "I said don't move."

"Look, I am a Jedi. I promise you."

"Prove it."

"How?" He asked, flustered.

"I don't know," she snidely told him. "Use the Force or something!"

Obi-Wan thought a moment, then closed his eyes and began to concentrate. Nahlia kept her blaster on him, unimpressed at first, until she felt her feet leaving the pavement and her body rising up into the air.

"Huh?!" She looked down to find herself three feet up from solid ground and going higher still. She started to scream in surprise. "Put me down! Put me down!"

The screaming startled Obi-Wan and his concentration broke - sending Nahlia crashing to the ground. As she landed flat on her bottom, she let out another yelp of pain and inadvertently squeezed the trigger on the blaster.

"Wha-?" Obi-Wan spotted a blob of purple come from the blaster and straight at his face. He ducked quickly and the blob whizzed past his head and slammed, in a gooey clump into the wall behind him. He turned back to Nahlia, only this time he did the yelling. "What in blazes was that?! Why did you shoot at me?!"

"Sorry." Nahlia responded with an air of chagrin. "It went off accidentally when I fell." She began to pull herself back up off the ground - rubbing her now very sore posterior. "It's not a real blaster anyway. It's a toy."

"A toy?"

"The

15. MoonChild

MoonChild Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Oooooooooooh........ Bum-ba-buuuuum.....l.

16. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    Verrry eeeeeenteresting. :)

17. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Chapter 5

Obi-Wan was hurrying down a hallway in the Jedi Temple when he was spotted by his master Qui-Gon Jinn.

"Obi-Wan!" Qui-Gon said with a hushed but testy tone. "Where have you been? Do you know how late it is?"

Obi-Wan stopped and bowed slightly in front of him. "I'm sorry, Master, but I have an urgent matter I must speak with you about."

Qui-Gon folded his arms. "I'm listening."

"I was doing what you had instructed, Master." Obi-Wan explained hurriedly. "You know, letting the Force guide me."

"And where exactly did the Force guide you, my young Padawan?"

"Into a nightclub." Obi-Wan answered innocently.

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow. "A nightclub?"

"Yes. And there was a girl there."

"A girl?" He scratched the side of his chin through his thick beard. "You mentioned something about girls on the comlink."

"On the comlink?"

"Yes, you do remember our conversation on the comlink earlier, don't you Obi-Wan?" Qui-Gon Jinn asked suspiciously.

"Uh... vaguely." Obi-Wan searched his memory, but the time when he was drunk was still fuzzy at best. He cringed slightly in embarrassment as he began to remember. 'Oh Force! Did I tell him I love him?'

Nahlia stood by the stairs of the main hall of the Jedi Temple admiring a towering golden statue of a Jedi Master with a strange orb in his hand. It was late at the temple, but still the occasional knight or padawan would come down the stairs or cross the hallway and give her a curious second glance. She supposed that the short black dress and silver thigh high stockings she was wearing were not usual attire at the temple. One young woman, a tall blue skinned Twi'lek like her friend Trindi, scowled at Nahlia as she passed.

"Hi." Nahlia managed an awkward smile as she tried to think of something to say. "Nice... outfit," she said, referring to the black pants and tank top the girl wore, accessorized by a lightsaber hanging from her leather belt. After receiving an odd look from the girl, Nahlia realized how silly it sounded and set her eyes quickly onto the plush, dark blue carpeting in front of her feet.

"Thanks." The Twi'lek padawan said with a shrug, then continued on her way.

'"Nice outfit", ' Nahlia sighed to herself as she watched her go. 'Good one, Nahlia.'

Just then, behind Nahlia, a voice spoke up. "Lost, are you?"

She turned around quickly, surprised by the sound but saw no one there on her eye level. Then she heard someone clear their throat and she looked down to find standing in front of her was a small grayish green creature, with gray hair, pointy ears, and a cane.

"Um... not exactly..." Nahlia explained. Suddenly her short black skirt seemed very short indeed in front of such a tiny fellow. She tugged at her skirt a bit in an effort to make it seem longer. "I was asked to wait here, for Master Jinn."

"Mmmm..." He nodded back, not entirely oblivious to her efforts. "Obi-Wan brought you here then, did he?"

"Yes. But, how did you know?" She asked. "Are you Master Jinn?"

"No. Jedi Master Yoda, I am." He said proudly, then added with a wink. "Much taller, Master Jinn is." He snickered to himself. "Yes, much taller..."

"Well that's one way to tell you apart, I suppose." Nahlia smiled and began to relax in the Jedi's presence. "Master Yoda. I've heard of you... my name is Nahlia."

"Nahlia, tell me, why wait you for Master Jinn?"

"Obi-Wan said he had a vision, he thinks I'm in some kind of danger."

"Mmmmm..." He nodded, now troubled. "A dangerous world, it is."

"He thought Master Jinn might be able to sense what I was in danger from and stop it."

"Strong with the Force, Qui-Gon is." Yoda sighed. "But difficult to read, the future can be."

"Obi-Wan?" Qui-Gon said, his patience waning. "Do you remember what you asked me about girls?"

"Um..." Obi-Wan did his best to remember the entire conversa

18. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    "And where exactly did the force guide you, my young Padawan?"

"Into a nightclub."

For some reason, my parents didn't believe me when I tried that one. ;)

19. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Obiwan is going to get into trouble down the road I see. Great post.

20. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Jedi Hood - heeheehee ;)

Thanks Crystal! :)

sg

21. Arya_Xalia_Skywalker

Arya_Xalia_Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2003
  22. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Chapter 6

THE FOLLOWING NIGHT:

Inside of the Aurora Club, the thumping beat of Trindi's music mixes blasted out of speakers set around the crowded dance floor. Nahlia, dressed in a low cut top and black skirt with a sexy slit up the side showing off one of her legs, approached a group of creatures at a table to take their orders.

At the table, a creature with brown leathery skin, prominent canine teeth, and round, flat nostrils asked her in his native language if she spoke Huttese. "Chuba rima di hatta?"

Nahlia smiled graciously and answered, "Tagwa. Ma pika na Nahlia."

Nearby at the bar, a patron heard Nahlia speaking and turned to seek out the source of the familiar voice. The tall blue-eyed man smiled and slicked back his already perfectly coifed brown hair before getting up from his barstool and heading in Nahlia's direction.

The green skinned Rodian at the table spoke to Nahlia in Huttese, feigning seriousness, before giving her a wink. The patrons at the table immediately burst out laughing again.

Nahlia just smiled and shook one finger at the patron playfully. "Smeeleeya whao toopee upee," she joked, then walked back to the bar with their orders. Before she could take a step forward her eyes met with the blue eyed man's and she froze in place. She scowled at him. "Kee chai chai cun kuta?"

"//Do I need a reason to visit my beautiful lady?//" He asked innocently as they continued their conversation in Huttese.

"//I am not your lady.//" She huffed and pushed her way past him toward the bar. "//Not anymore.//" She turned back to him a moment and looked him straight in the eye as she said. "Me hari tish ding." She quickly turned around and headed to the bar.

He stood there for a moment baffled by her statement as if it weren't possible to him. Finally he responded with, "//What do you mean you're through with me?!//" and set out after her.

Obi-Wan looked at the entrance of the Aurora Club with apprehension as he approached with Qui-Gon Jinn. He had told his Master about becoming drunk on Red Vortexes there the night before but left out some of the things that happened while he was drunk, such as kissing Nahlia. He wasn't sure why. At first, it had simply slipped his mind, being that his memory was still quite fuzzy, but a night of sleep had brought back the moment in a dream and left strange feelings lingering. Feelings he knew he wasn't comfortable talking about, even with his master.

Shortly after entering, Qui-Gon stopped and took out a small round holoprojector from a pouch on his belt and pressed a button. On the projector appeared the image of a male Ithorian, a tall creature with brown skin and a long head that curved up at the front into two protrusions on either side where his small black eyes were set. He showed the image to Obi-Wan. "This is Inu Daalaka. According to my sources, he was seen at this club just four days ago and hasn't been seen since," he explained. "The same image has been programmed into your holoprojector as well as the images of the other missing persons. I want you to take the left side of the club, I'll take the right. Hopefully someone here can give us some information on what happened to him."

Obi-Wan nodded obediently. "Yes, Master." The two then parted ways and dispersed into the crowded club.

Elsewhere in the Aurora Club, Nahlia took out a round platter and waited for the Nikto bartender to prepare drinks for her table of customers.

The young man followed Nahlia to the bar and stood directly behind her. He leaned down a bit and whispered in her ear in Huttese. "//Nahlia. We're not through talking.//"

"//Yes, we are.//" She insisted.

The Nikto bartender glowered upon hearing their conversation as he began handing Nahlia drinks to place on her tray.

"Nahlia. Chuba ki naga ke jo isti?" He pleaded. "Jee oto uba." He said first in Huttese, then r

23. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    How romantic. I love that old romantic stuff where the knight catches the lady before she falls. I also love that little dress scene. ;) QG is not liking what he is seeing at all.

24. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    lol! nope QG is not a happy master.

I love the old romantic stuff too. :) I'm happy I've been able to think of ways to add that element to this story.

sg

25. Jedi_Hood

Feb 10, 2000
    In the process of catching her, Obi-Wan's hand had accidentally slipped through the slit on her dress and was now firmly on her bare thigh.

I hate it when that happens..... [face_devil] ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.