main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Okay, let's think. The OT never said anything about bringing balance to the Force. In fact these Chosen One shenanigains were invented for the prequels. Yoda himself acknowledged that the order might have missinterpreted the prophecy. The Mortiss arc proposes a different interpretation of the prophecy. And at no time was it stated that the brought balance would be permanent. Any questions?

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Not really. The vision of Palpatine which appears in Ghosts of Mortis indicates that he is still very much the central threat which Anakin must deal with.

3. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    Agreed.
    The Father: You are the chosen one. You have brought balance to this world. Stay on this path, and you will do it again for the galaxy.

4. JediBendu

JediBendu Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 1999
    Actually, virgin and miraculous births are a pretty common mythological trope.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

love your user name.

JediBendu likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda and Obi-wan don't talk about it to Luke because they're putting him on a different path, which results in his saving his father who restores the balance.

ForgottennJedi1986 likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The Yoda arc says that Yoda teaches the one who will save the galaxy from the great imbalance. That seems to imply Luke (combined with the "there is another Skywalker")

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He teaches Luke who in turn helps Anakin to fulfill his destiny.

9. locketcoket

locketcoket Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2014
    Don't bring Mortis into this. I don't mind the prophecy, but now that Abeloth is uncanon don't bring Mortis to the ST. Mortis is probably the most confusing part of Star Wars. The prophecy while confusing is also interesting because of all the different interpretations. In fact just leave Mortis,Father,Son, and Daughter as the personification of the force. They don't even make sense or fit into Star Wars aside from being the force personified. Then we have Mortis' relation to the prophecy which is even more confusing considering how little we know about Father and Mortis and how the Father dies in TCW.

Speaking of Mortis, if anyone has an explanation for what is Mortis and who is The Father I'd like to hear it.(not sarcasm)

Think About It

10. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010
    Problem is, the Mortis arc didn't give an answer and the FotJ explanation is non-canon. I guess they are representations of each aspects of the Force. Wether they are the source of it or are more like the remnants of Sephiroth is unknown. But maybe the ST will clear it up.

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    What's so confusing about Mortis? The Force needs to be in balance, or else. The end.

Darth Archimage and Immortiss like this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It did, and it was even spelled out for you in the thread.

Dra--- likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

What part of...

The Father: You are the chosen one. You have brought balance to this world. Stay on this path, and you will do it again for the galaxy.

and...

OBI-WAN: "You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would, destroy the Sith, not join them. It was you who would bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness."

....is unclear?

ForgottennJedi1986 and Dra--- like this.
  14. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Okay my dear friends. I happen to be a linguist and therefor very good at reading comprehension. I'm going to imaprt some of that knowledge to you:

THIS was directly above my entry. Therefor it is reasonable to assume that THIS was what I was responding to. I pride myself with a very good memory but even that fail sometimes and it was quite a while ago that i saw the Mortis arc, so I'd beg of you to enlighten me, which crucial information did I overlook?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The Mortis arc revealed that Anakin is the Chosen One. He brings balance twice. The first version in TCW is what Anakin should have done in the first place. The second version is what he will do against the Sith in ROTJ. Mortis itself is an aspect of the Force set in a different plane of existence, where time has virtually no meaning. Anakin must deal with the dark side incarnate in the form of the Son. This was to prepare him for his real task which was to bring balance in his own universe, which he fails at and spends the next two decades a slave until he comes back from the dark side and fulfills his destiny.

16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    but the priestess doesn't say Yoda will teach the one who helps someone save the galaxy from the great imbalance. It says "he is to teach one that will save the universe from a great imbalance."

Immortiss likes this.
  17. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Well, without Luke, Anakin wouldn't have come back to the light. I think Luke and Anakin are to be equally credited at bringing balance to the force.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

And it is Anakin who brings balance, because Luke cannot.

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    except Yoda trained Luke. The statement by the priestess cannot be interpreted to refer to anybody but Luke. He is to teach one (Luke) that will save the universe from a great imbalance.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    But who said that they were right? Yoda and Obi-wan both dismiss the notion that Anakin is still good, yet he is and he is the one who destroys the Sith. All Luke did was be the trigger for the Sith turning on each other.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wait, didn't Lucas say that Anakin was the Chosen One and NOT Luke?

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's always Anakin or Luke, isn't it? Maybe Leia is the Chosen One.

Force Smuggler and Immortiss like this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

"I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The “phantom menace” refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader—also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct—Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine interview, 1999

24. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    The great imbalance = Anakin? :) Luke did save the galaxy from Anakin and in turn Anakin brought balance back by destroying the Sith. Hmmmmmmm maybe? lol

25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Hey, three's a charm.:p

EDIT: The story's not over, yet. I guess we'll find out for sure in the ST.