main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Force, the Chosen One, Balance, and the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    I don't believe the Chosen One stuff will ever see the light of day in the ST. It's way too limiting for future story tellers. We will see "light side" and "dark side" users in the ST, and that means that Anakin didn't do jack to balance anything. It's fairly reasonable to think that Vader will be immortalized by the baddies, but the Chosen One stuff is going to be ignored.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

OBI-WAN: "You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness."

He doesn't refer to the dark or the light, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't believe in the two sides. He's not training Obi-wan about the light and the dark and he doesn't get to train Anakin. Qui-gon only talks about the Living Force and the Cosmic Force in TPM. It isn't until TCW that he talks about the dark side in "Voices".

QUI-GON: "It is happening right now. It has always been happening. With each day the Clone War wages, evil is growing in its power. What you felt in the cave is merely a portion of what the dark side now holds."

thejeditraitor and Andy Wylde like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Doesn't really matter as it's over 6 films anyway and ended with Anakin. No particular reason to talk about it directly.

Even if they did I don't see in any way shape or form it's limiting.

[face_rofl]

Clearly he did so there is no point in saying he didn't!

I don't see why so much is pinned on this notion. If it is or isn't will presumably depend on the story and where it goes.

The first 6 episodes are irrevocably intertwined together so presumably as episodes VII, VIII and IX the ST will in some way tie into them just as the books, comics, animated series and games have been.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    My personal, longstanding theory is that it meant Anakin Skywalker destroying the Sith inside himself... that balance depended on what "side" he died on. That since he was conceived by the Force, when he died and his living force rejoined the cosmic force, it would shape the destiny of the entire cosmic force. That because Anakin ultimately chose the light, chose the good side, when he died and rejoined the cosmic force it helped the will of the Force determine that light would have ultimate victory over darkness. That good will ultimately triumph over evil.

Anakin's life was a test, an experiment, for the cosmic Force to see life through the eyes of a single lifeform, and which side it chose then the Force would eventually choose. Anakin chose the light. So the will of the Force chose the light as its destiny.

Yes, there will still be setbacks, but after Anakin's sacrifice, the moral arc of the universe now bends towards the coming triumph of goodness. Victory for all time, as Yoda says at the end of TCW. The Force itself chose to not give in to its own dark side.

It just may take some time for this "awakening" to fully ripple out.

That's my theory, anyways.

Otherwise, does that mean there's balance in TFA because Kylo Ren and other darksiders don't call themselves Sith? But if Kylo Ren were to take the name Darth Rageos in Episode 8 and declare himself to be the new Dark Lord of the Sith, would that suddenly undo balance, because of a name change? If they walk like a Sith, talk like a Sith, look like a Sith, act like a Sith, why does it matter to the balance of the Force if they don't have the name "Sith"? If Palpatine declared he was no longer a Sith, would that have brought balance??

Immortiss and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Prophecy should have had a disclaimer that added: 'But in 32 years, another another Dark Side Order called the Knights of Ren will replace the Sith. Oh, but don't worry; since they are not called the Sith, the Force will still be in balance.' :rolleyes:

Maybe the Prophecy was originally written in stone like the Ten Commandments, and someone dropped the disclaimer and broke it. Just like when Mel Brooks accidentally dropped and broke the Tablet containing the other five Commandments 11-15, in the movie History of the World Part 1. [face_laugh]

6. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I think going forward the narrative will slowly remove the Sith as the premier Dark Side club. It may even remove the Jedi as the premier Light Side club.

These two factions just happened to RULE / POLICE THE GALAXY in recent GFFA history...

The Knights of Ren are something else. Luke may indeed be something else, other than the last Jedi.

In this neo-canon age we NOW exist in, the true Chosen One and their role are yet to be definitively defined by what actually balances the Force.

We could leave Anakin destroying the Sith at that. We could have a greater threat emerge needs to be quelled. I don't know. I'm sorry, but Lucas quotes and DVD commentary no longer apply in the Disney age. IMO, this is still an evolving story line. Why do I say that? Well, in TCW when Yoda goes to the Force world - one of the weirdo drama faced queens blurts out (concerning his future): "He will train the one who will save the universe!!!" Anakin was already a Jedi Knight trained by Kenobi at this point in time. Scratch that notion... Neo-Canon time. Order 66. Jedi Order demolished. Yoda trained Luke and then died.

So, are we to believe Luke is the one that will "save the universe" in a future episode? Did Luke already "save the universe" by helping to his dad? Unknowns at this point in neo-canon land.

7. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

If that is the way things will be, then it will not be long until every director who comes along will reboot Star Wars to fit there ego, instead of creating something within the sandbox that George Lucas created. The Star Wars named will just be slapped on as a selling point to any generic movie with spaceships, and lasers.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    What's wrong with that? That's how it works.

The old EU was even worse.

Kind of unnecessarily disrespectful on Disney's part.

Apart from being made in the Lucas-era, Luke already has saved the universe. And will probably save it again.

thejeditraitor and Bullhead CIty like this.
  9. Darth Arthas

Darth Arthas Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2015
    So I just listened to the bookreview of Chuck Wendig's novel "Star Wars Aftermath". The review was done by RedTeamReview by the way. Apparently it is revealed in the book that "Palpatine felt his power coming from somewhere outside the galaxy". I was always under the impression that the force is this mysterious energy, that is everywhere in the universe.
    I have heard somewhere that in the early drafts of Star Wars the force was supposed to be generated by some object (a crystal I think), and I am glad they didn't go with the idea. But this sounds like they are reconsidering it. If the force is generated by some object, can it be destroyed by destroying the object. Even if that object is big, maybe as big even as a planet there are probably ways to destroy it.
    I don't like the idea of the force being that fragile.
    Has anyone here read the book already and if yes did you come to the same conclusion?

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    quote="Darth Arthas, post: 52671593, member: 1410141"]So I just listened to the bookreview of Chuck Wendig's novel "Star Wars Aftermath". The review was done by RedTeamReview by the way. Apparently it is revealed in the book that "Palpatine felt his power coming from somewhere outside the galaxy".[/quote]

Well in TCW Yoda did have to physically journey to wherever he went to go to the "Force planet" and then there was wherever the Mortis story was set.

Does the physical place really mean anything or is it that it finds you when needed?

Sidious' perception is that what he is looking for is somewhere out there because he "knows" it's not anywhere near "here"

The movies and TCW obviously do so it amounts to the same thing.

It constantly amazes me how some like to lock things down to an absolute certainty then say how this is now being set aside or changed or whatever.

Of course it's an evolving storyline. That is not even a question.

It always has been. That is the history of Star Wars.

The "problem" is for the people that don't want that and want things forever exactly locked down to the last iota and never have anything change.

Anakin brought balance to the Force. I would hope that the ST does give new perspective to that. I think that they should really if they actually want to tie the ST into the PT and OT.

There are so many ways to do that. In Star Wars the "change" had been one of perspective. What you think you know isn't actually the case because there is more to it. Each movie revealed more layers.

The Force has never really changed we simply got a wider perspective on it as each movie comes along.

Think of all of those people who truly believe the midi-chlorians changed the Force when it didn't really change it but the way it was perceived.

Anakin brought balance to the Force. I would hope that the ST does give new perspective to that. I think that they should really if they actually want to tie the ST into the PT and OT.

Various seeds have been planted in the canon in books about a larger plan that Sidious had about bending reality itself. Whether this will play a role in the ST remains to be seen.

The prophecy only became true when Anakin came back and decided to destroy the Sith. If he didn't then it wouldn't have and he didn't do it for the prophecy he did it to save Luke who along with Leia is what is left of his and Padme's love.

Andy Wylde and IG-13 like this.
  11. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    IMO, Anakin brought the balance at the end of RotJ.

30+ years later, in TFA, the force is out of balance again. Because, honestly, does anything, ever, stay in balance for eternity?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Then what would be the point?

Darth Archimage and Immortiss like this.
  13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

i don't know. the title "The Force Awakens" gives the impression it's been dormant.

14. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    Anakin destroyed the Sith and brought balance for a time.

The ambiguity of the prophecy leaves so much open: (besides more SW movies/shows/etc. being made), it doesn't say who, or how long the balance will last. Why does it have to stay in balance for longer than 20 years?

15. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    By the very virtue that in order to bring balance the force created Anakin, it means that there would be another Chosen One being born every 10 years. And the obvious question would then be, how did the force manage to maintain balance prior to the PT? Was inbalance exceptional (as the balance prior to the PT alludes to)? And if so, why is imbalance the norm now?

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Besides that I don't know why there is an assumption that simply ANY Dark Side users existing immediately create some particularly lop-sided imbalance.

I think quite obviously when the Sith terrorized the galaxy for however long before they were defeat a thousand years prior to TPM that there was some sort of balance to the dark over the light but that was set right at some point.

Over time the scales tip from the light to the dark a bit one way or other. So that is normal. With Sidious the Force was out of balance to a dangerous degree that the scale was going to tip over and the light was going to be all but extinguished. It was going to be so lop-sided that it was not a normal situation.

To me the more key factor is that Anakin brought the balance back to "normal" conditions.

It would not be normal if the "balance" was light all the time forever after now would it?

Hardly.

So now instead of all but total darkness it can now be either light or dark as before.

Possibly this is what they will explore in the ST.

I go back to the second teaser where we see Anakin's Darth Vader helmet. With it he was on the Dark Side but there was light in there still as he destroyed the Sith. Then we see his Lightsaber. With it he served the Light Side but ended up using it for the dark.

That in itself symbolizes his connection to the balance of the Force.

Ah but then we get into the now non-canon book (but George directed) Darth Plagueis.

The basic point to me there was that Plagueis was going to put the Force out of balance because of his manipulation of the midi-chlorians (and through them the Force) whereby he would live forever and have the power of life and death over all things.

This is akin to a wave in the ocean telling all the other ways to stop or go up and down only when it tells them to.

The Force "strikes back" and Anakin is brought into being to destroy the Sith who tipped the balance of the Force to the dark.

The waxing and waning of the balance of the Force is not for any single living being to do but the Force itself. The Sith upset that and created an imbalance the likes of which had never ever happened before.

In short there is a natural "balance of the Force" that happens. In the case of this incarnation of the Sith they created an unnatural imbalance and that needed to be corrected.

17. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005

Maybe the prophecy was written after the KoR were out of the picture (exiled)? Maybe it was written before the KoR existed? Maybe the balance created the KoR? Of course, we don't know yet but it is exciting! We have to know what the KoR are first, and how long they have existed.

18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I think it is fairly evident in the films, and I know many here agree. That take on the cancer analogy is fascinating - but again while it may work in-universe, its the moral implication of the 'ends justify the means' that doesn't work for a morality tale. You are suggesting Anakin was right to kill the Jedi - plain and simple.

There is a moral route though - and the Jedi needing to be destroyed means there was no possible moral route, in a morality tale.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Why do you bathe?

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The nature of the Sith is to take over the universe and rule through force. Palpatine in particular had disrupted the balance through his actions. In destroying the Sith, the actions that he was responsible for were undone. And his legacy is gone now. He had no heir to carry on his legacy, and the legacy dating back to Darth Bane. Kylo Ren is just a dark side warrior who is out to destroy the Jedi Order and the Resistance. As TCW showed, there are other dark side threats like the Nightsisters who would still be out there. Maul and Ventress might still be around.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But his actions weren't undone, the consequences are still being felt. And now dark-siders in the First Order are trying to take over the galaxy. Does balance in the Force really boil down to who has political control? And wasn't the Force already out of balance even before Palpatine was elected?

22. IG-13

IG-13 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 13, 2005
    Well....one of those you mentioned may not be around if you read Dark Disciple.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Which doesn't change the balance.

Trying, not that they have. Kylo Ren and Snoak are not manipulating the people into giving up their freedoms for security like Palpatine and Dooku did. They are doing what the Sith of the past did when they ruled the galaxy and the Jedi fought back against them. Even then, the Force was in balance.

The Force has begun to slip out of balance because of every action that Palpatine took to gain control. Even before becoming the Chancellor, the Force was slowly starting to go out of balance. But before then, it was in balance.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    There isn't going to be any "chosen" one" nonsense in the ST.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

But its still Canon and you gotta deal with it.

Things don't just become non Canon and yes it has even been referenced in the vader comics

It might not be in the ST because it does not need to be but it still is a thing.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.