main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Force - 'The Great Mystery' Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthPhilosopher, Oct 16, 2011.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Having begun an extensive research assignment in regards to the nature of the Force it is clear that, because of various contradictions within various texts, understanding it is enough to make anyone go insane. As such I would like to know your various thoughts on the subject ? particularly the nature of ?the Dark Side? and its relation with the Force. I?ll post my findings once I have finished my research.

Current Hypothesis

The Force = Light Side : Dark Side
    |------------------------------------|------------------------------------|
    Balance, Inherently Good, the Middle Path, the ?Will of the Force?, Inherently Good Deity (Monotheistic)

Balance: A ratio of Light and Dark. In humans to deny the Dark is typically balanced, although it should function as a part of nature never-the-less, and form some parts of the balanced whole.

The Dark Side = Evil
    |---------------------------------|
    Imbalance, Inherently Evil, the Evil Spirit
    **why the ?Dark Side? is referred to in isolation from the ?Force?; because it is only part of the picture, thus contrary to nature and in turn evil. A part of the greater whole it creates the Force and ?Good?, in isolation it creates ?Evil?. A Yin without Yang is evil, yet with Yang it consists of the greater Tao**

However there are other arguments that suggest the Dark Side is cancerous and contrary to nature ? a subset of the greater whole.

What are your opinions?

Some quotes from George:

?It deals with Good and Evil in kind of ?black and white? terms, which that there is ?Good? and there is ?Evil?, and it doesn?t mix them up and make them all ?grey? where everything is good and evil. It says basically that we are all Good and we?re all Evil, and we have a choice, as opposed to ?there is no hope, we?re all grey and there is nothing we can do about it??

?I think context is the overriding factor in all of this, and you can have violence for good and you have violence for bad. [?] The nature of all life forms is to try to survive, and part of that survival is violent, either killing and eating other animals or dividing cells, or whatever you want to say; so the issue is how you explain that some kinds of things are okay and some kinds of things are not okay, [and that] some causes are worth fighting for and some aren?t. [?] I had a discussion with a friend of mine who is very involved in Tibet, and the issue for the Dali Lama is ?are you going to sit here and let them decimate you, or? ? you know that?s the choice ? and at some point you have to realise that certain kinds of aggressive behaviour is necessary in order to survive. I think one of the most important parts ? which has to do with emotional intelligence ? is to understand compassion and understand about not hurting people.?

?The film is ultimately about the Dark Side and the Light Side, and those sides are designed around compassion [for the light] and greed [for the dark], and we all have those two sides of us, and we have to make sure those two sides of us are in balance.?