main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force: think or feel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by JAMMINITUP, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAMMINITUP

JAMMINITUP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Im just doing some marketing studies on Buyer Behaviour, and I've come across theories from Carl Jung. anyway one of the opposing personality types he describes is a thinking person vs a feeling person.

Now in relation to the force, Im confused...
    In TPM Qui Gon Jinn instructs Anakin (just before the pod race) to "feel, dont think, use your instincts", or in other words, to "use the force"...

However in AOTC, just outside the nightclub Obi wan says to Anakin "Use the force - think!"

The difference in these two examples is that on one hand Anakin is being told to feel, and on the other, he is told to think, but both I assume are for using the force. Does this mean that the force can be used for both thinking and feeling?

2. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    In the podrace instance, he is told not to think but to use raw instinct in the race, simply because pondering over an incident could lose him the race, or worse, be fatal. In order to make quick decisions, Qui-Gon told him to abandon thinking, which would eliminate that possibility of his thoughts interfering with his actions, and just "use his instincts", which would help him win the race.

In the nightclub instance, Obi-Wan tells Anakin to think because, in this situation, instinct may not be the best choice. With Anakin's increasingly arrogant attitude, his instincts may lead him to do something not suitable for a Jedi in that situation. Therefore, Obi-Wan tells him "Use the Force- think" as in "think before you act".

Even so, the Force can be used for both thought and feeling, as it penetrates not only one's physical being, but also their mental pysche as well. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

3. JAMMINITUP

JAMMINITUP Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Thanks Ken Kenobi, my answer all in one!!

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Heh, no problem, mate. ;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I also think you have to take in account that when QGJ told Anakin to feel, Anakin wasn't trained and couldn't control the force in anyway. If he had started to think he would probably have lost much of the contact with it, since he couldn't call on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.