main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Unleashed: The Multimedia EU Event of '08 (and beyond!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Actaully, having 2,000 copies would make everything much easier. Everyone knows the more of something you have, the weaker they are.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Darth Bane always said the dark side shouldn't be spread around...

Silly Galen... thinking he had power in numbers. [face_not_talking]

3. ThisIsMadness91

ThisIsMadness91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 19, 2009
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. Chapter 15, page 183. About halfway down the page, Starkiller sees himself being killed by the Dark Apprentice. Like Shadow_Skywalker_226 said, it's an exact retelling of the game's dark ending:) .

4. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    So, he foresaw his possible death at the Dark Apprentice's hands, even though the book ends with him taking the light side choice and sparing Vader. Good enough for me. :D

5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don;t think this game did vey well. Does anybody have the numbers on this? This game was half and half, and its unfortunate that Haden left thier by possibly killing the third game.

6. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Don't know about numbers but there are the footnotes in wikipedia's reception section from different gaming reviews: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFU2#Reception

Personally, I think the game suffered from an unfocused story and felt way too short. I never bought it but the more I learnt about it, the more I was put off. I mean I loved the first game, going to different planets, fighting the different enemies, reading the databank entries on them. But this one... the moment I read up on it, I was turned off and just decided not to buy the game because I knew I would be disappointed and end up finishing the game in a few days as opposed to TFU1 where I took a few weeks to thoroughly enjoy the game from start to end.

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The limited planets didn't bother me as such, since the films don't necessarily go to as many as most video games, and I'm guessing that was the kind of "feeling" they were going for. What bugged me about them was more how... linear they were.

I know most people seemed to like Cato Neimoidia, but I found it dull personally. Cool cutscene at the start, cool cutscene at the end... but very little inbetween apart from hack and slash on loads of the same limited set of enemies through very repetitive looking backdrops.

To wind back the clock, I totally loved the design of places like Nar Shaddaa in the Jedi Knight games, as they never felt repetitive to me. What'd have improved Neimoidia would have been you having to go through a cantina and getting into a bar brawl, like Kyle Katarn did once in Jedi Outcast. It'd just have broken up the repetition a little bit, and given more depth to the planet than just neverending walkways full of stormies.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I can see making a boss fight its own level if it's really involved like the Gorog, but the second "level" of Cato Neimoidia was ridiculously short.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The game was basically just bad. I regret having bought it and I wish I'd just watched the cutscenes on YouTube.

Though, to its credit, at least Vader wasn't portrayed as a gimp in any way, shape or form. That last battle was very much in the spirit of the badass Vader of the Marvels. And I think that actually came under criticism from more than a few quarters ("Waaa final boss sucked, we couldn't **** all over Vader, waaa!") which makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the world.

I mean, okay, I get that the "slowly whittling down health" is a kind of boring way to do things... but Vader's portrayal as a mad, bad Doctor Doom of Star Wars during that entire encounter more than made up for it.

It is an honour to merely cross blades with the Lord Darth Vader.

10. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Uli, I personally hold to the belief that those Vader-complainers must ALL-SUCK-AT executing; those somewhat over-repetitive, QTE's against him. That's the only thing IT COULD be.:p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't LA trump-up the point in their marketing campaign that this game would have puzzles to solve? A la GoW3 and the like? I remember nothing of the sort in FU-two.

Agreed. The initial-visuals were fabulous, but after ten minutes, the pretty colors lost their lustre and level was exposed as little more than a MEGA-button-masher. On the hardest difficulty, Cato Nemoidia took the least amount of strategy to complete. Dagobah might have been harder.[face_mischief]

KotOR's Nar Shaddaa? NOW that was awesome, but probably had to do with having soo many story options to investigate and solve. In FU-Two, it's: "Must, just find Juno". Love the cantina-brawl idea, almost central to any GOOD SW story. Revan, Rand and the Exhile each had adventures in cantinas.

No wonder those games rocked.

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Indeed.

[image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/7/7c/Redeyedbalderak.jpg]

Now THAT made for good times on a cityworld. It was just some light relief.

I get that TFU2 was all very much a race against time in the sense that Vader was "hunting" you, but there's no reason it couldn't have had some more interludes. If we could make time to jet off to see Yoda, then we could make time to knock some heads together in a brawl.
    I'd totally forgotten about that... but now that I come to think of it, I think you're right. I DO remember something like that. I had it in my head that we'd be doing the kind of puzzles they had back in JK.

Maybe it's an acknowledgement by LFL that for today's 12 year olds, working out which attack works against the big cryodroids is a "puzzle"? :p

Uhuh. :rolleyes:

I have little more to say about those type of people. I really, really hate the videogamer cliché who is incapable of playing a game where THEY are not the most awesome powerhouse in the universe. It's the reason so many third rate video game's stories suck: because it's so utterly dull to just be "awesome".

Hell, even Solid Snake had his weaknesses. Even Master Chief. Heck, most of the big name characters are more well fleshed out than the cliché. But no. Little Jimmy can't bear to be hurt by the big bad Vader. They want to kick that losers ass! I remember that crappy old film! Darth Vader can't even fight properly! He's SO SLOW! He wouldn't have survived ten seconds in Order 66! BRING BACK ANAKIN!!! WAH!!!!! :_|

It's people like you, Uli, that are why Lucas won't release a Special Edition where Vader DIDN'T fall into the lava but kept his legs![face_frustrated]

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The reason Vader doesn't move as quickly as flashy as others... is because he was in an older film. It's that simple. I'm of the mind that there doesn't need to be an IU justification. You might as well come up with an IU justification for Yoda looking like a puppet for part of his life and CG the rest.

If Lucas shot Vader vs Obi-Wan now, it would be a massively long duel in which they crossed half the length of the death star, leaping and jumping about all over the platforms, avoiding pitfalls until they finally found up in front of Luke Skywalker in time for the big NOOOOO!

Not that I think that's necessary or even desirable. Vader and Obi-Wan look far more masterful in ANH than they ever did in the prequels precisely because of the difference in dueling styles, the efficiency of their strikes and the fact neither really give any ground at all. I mean, I won't lie, when I was younger, I was very much of the mind that the "ANH duels sucks next to the prequel stuff"... but that's because I was silly, and thought flash = skill.

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Totally unrelated rant: I hate that GL scrapped the really-smarmy Mustafar dialog. if only because the death star scene in Star Wars, had the deepest stuff between former friends....

I for one, would have enjoyed seeing the MEAT of that conversation, instead of just the beginning (Mustafar platform) and the end (DS).

/End Rant.

14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Uli, you did realise my post was sarcastic, yes? :p

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes, I was addressing the kind of people you were lampooning.

Jeez, Zor, try to keep up. ;)

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I [face_love] poontang!

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    My favorite skin is the Neimoidian skin.

I like the idea of a Neimoidian Dark Jedi. With a sweet hat.

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Ackbar with Kota during the trolley scene was pretty sweet.

Made my own mini-movies with those skins, MY canon is now ALL messed up.
    Not that it needed any help.

[face_whistling]

19. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    When I got to the LS/DS choice for TFU II I started thinking about how they could go about presenting such a choice for a part III (if they do in fact ever make one). Have the "light side" clone and dark apprentice have a final confrontation at the end, and the player's choice for LS/DS is simply picking which one you fight as.

Of course, I was also thinking that they could bounce back and forth between the two characters during the course of the game.

20. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    how many times did Kota and SK2 REALLY need to have a variant of this conversation:

KOTA "the rebellion is a helpless bunch of babies if you don't do ridiculously impossible things for us"

SK2 "I don't care, she is worth doing coincidentally the same impossible things for, which somehow fails to satisfy you despite the identical result!"

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I recently did the beginning of the return-to-Kamino section with the Neimoidian skin. It lends itself to comedy via ad-libbing a voiceover in the Nute Gunray voice. When the Neimoidian was clinging to the TIE fighter as it was plunging through the atmosphere, I was going "This is not looking good at all!" and "This is getting out of hand!"

22. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    oddly, this game was inferior to the original; but the tie-in novel was superior to the original...in the latter case, probably b/c of the author's well-done added material of "Juno's side of the story" esp. featuring Ackbar

My fav. part of the game has to be using the Ackbar skin to kill the Rebel heroes on Endor...Ackbar hauling Chewie out of the AT-ST cockpit and choking him to death, and meditating beside Leia's corpse, all with a happy grin on his face

23. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Can a Mon Cal actually smile?

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wut?

Dammit it all! Now I've got to go get the game! I can't pass something where I can roleplay as a Neimoidian!

25. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I really need to get an ethernet cord (need a rather long one) so that I can hook my PS3 up to the net. Giving me the ability to get the DLC for that game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.