main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Unleashed: The Multimedia EU Event of '08 (and beyond!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [face_laugh]Somebody; with better youtube skills than I, needs to get on that ASAP!! The idea of Gunray clutching the wing in a death-spin, is almost too much!!

If you want more of a creepy mashup, use the Luke with Yoda-backpack skin and go play Endor. So much for missing Chewbacca....

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I'll second that.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    One thing I'm actually curious about is Kota's involvement in the war. Kota strikes me as something of a recluse, and while he's probably a great leader on the battlefield, I doubt he'd make a charismatic leader. So, I'm wondering how much the Rebel alliance and the general public knew that one of their main leaders was a Jedi. In Shadows of Mindor, one of the Mon Calamari asks Luke when the last time an attack was planned by a Jedi, to which Luke replies he doesn't know. Obviously that was written before TFU, but IU, would Luke have known about Kota? I'm thinking that Kota may have wanted to keep his Jedi history secret to all but his personal militia, but that doesn't make too much sense, considering a Jedi would be something that people could really rally behind. Perhaps Kota didn't want to be the center of attention, or there was quite a bit of anti-Jedi sentiment.

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    IDK....

Luke not knowing about Kota is akin to Vader not knowing about Dantooine.
    Or something.
    :p

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Flow-Walking.

6. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Luke not knowing Kota could be quite easily explained. He is still fully capable of dying before Luke join's the Rebellion. And I really don't think anyone would be all "hey Luke, so you're a Jedi? Awesome! You know, we used to have one helping to lead things around here. Until he died, that is. Guess the Force must not have been with him, eh? [face_beatup]"

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    "Luke, you're our last hope."
    "Well, yeah, I know. The Jedi all died in the Clone Wars."
    "Er... that's not what I meant."
    "Eh?"
    "There was this Jedi, Kota. He came before you."
    "Huh? So where is he?"
    "He... died."
    "Oh."
    "There's a reason I said last hope."
    "Kriff this. If a fully trained Jedi MASTER couldn't help you I'm screwed. Kthxbye."

8. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    "Well, he was blind before he joined up"
    "How did that happen?"
    "Yeah, that was actually done by the guy that actually formed the Rebellion."
    "You mean Leia's dad? Didn't he get blown up on Alderaan?"
    "No..well yes, he did. But that's not who I was talking about."
    "Huh?"
    "A guy named Starkiller did all that. Pretty powerful in the Force. He actually helped us capture Vader."
    "Really?! What happened then?"
    "We...uh...don't really know."
    "Well where's this Starkiller now?"
    "We...uh...don't really know."
    ":oops: "

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I absently wonder how such shockingly painful EU can spawn continuous discussion. :p

Talk more about Abeloth goshdarnnit! [face_laugh]

10. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Abeloth we at least want to like even if she manages in places to fall flat.

TFU2 we warmly embrace as the resident whipping boy. :p

11. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    The funny thing is, I actually like the TFU games. And I'm currently reading Vortex, still pretty early in, and I don't exactly hate it. :p

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yep. We treat Rhett the same way Vader handled him after returning from killing Shaak Ti.

Total Ragdoll.

13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Being overpowered aside, I rather liked Rhett in TFUI. He overcame Sith brainwashing and turned to the lightside, and was willing to sacrifice his life and happiness with Juno in order to rescue Kota and the others so the Rebellion could live. In TFUII, that went out the window, and he was completely focused on nothing more than finding Juno, rest of the galaxy be damned. I'm going blame the cloning process for screwing him up.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    True, but it seems like something Leia might have told him after all was said and done. Again, though, maybe even Leia didn't know he was a Jedi? For whatever reason, I see Kota as someone who would just want his own personal squad to know he was a Jedi.

In contrast to Starkiller, I think Kota is a very down to earth (if that's possible) Jedi master. He's certainly not overpowered; over the course of two games, plus their novel and comic adaptations, he's beaten by Starkiller, Vader and the Emperor (both with a gesture), Boba Fett, and in a non-canon situation, Dark Starkiller.

Actually, I do too. When looking at Star Wars as one large series, I think it's an (fairly) positive contribution to the EU. During the stretch from 10ABY to ANH, there aren't many stories of Jedi. And I know people have problems with him "founding" the Rebellion, the same way I know a lot of people had problems with Bria Tharen being the one to steal the Death star plans, but for such a "big" media cinematic event in the timeline, I have no problem with him doing something equally "big".

Also, TFU respects continuity far more than its brother, The Clone Wars TV series. :). Ha, I think I'm the resident TFU defender, or something.

Within the context of the game, I don't consider Starkiller too overpowered; he's still below Vader and The Emperor. They want to let you play as a very powerful Jedi. Personally, I like to think that Starkiller's power comes from, in addition to Vader's training and being born to two Jedi, being experimented on by Vader. Even after all these years I still don't get the midi-chlorian business, but is it outrageous to say that Vader could have manipulated the MC's in some way, as Plagueis did, to make him stronger than he normally would be? In my mind, he did, and even after all that Frankenstein-esque experimentation, he still can't truly defeat Vader in TFUII. Also, in the first game, even as he's dying, probably having a "one with the force" moment, he gives it everything he has to blow himself up, and still can't scratch Palpatine or kill Vader. He's not their superior, or even equal.

Another thing I like about TFUII is that it, in a way, serves as a prequel to Joruus C'Baoth from the Thrawn Trilogy. Starkiller keeps from going insane because he has something to drive him, although in the novel there were some hints that he was losing it. C'Baoth went completely insane because he simply wanted to dominate others.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The one who asked Vader "when do we strike?" might not be the same who did what you just mentioned.
    Reminds me of the second half of the first game.... with a little more clone madness thrown in.

16. DarthMRN

DarthMRN Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2007
    Dunno if I agree that getting beaten by those guys is enough not to be overpowered. He is about as unleashed as the rest of the Jedi in the franchise, what with blowing up that entire control room they fight in so it falls down, and blind-fighting for what, five days straight, in the arena in FU2. Not top gun level, sure, but I'd say that's fairly overpowered for a no-name Jedi Master.

Not at all, EGttF says possible. I just lack any confirmation that Vader or Palp knew how to do it, though the power of Palp himself does lend itself to such a hypothesis. That remains my desired retcon for Galen as well, unless TCW's Son can be brought into it in some way.

Maybe not Palp's equal, but until we have retcons saying otherwise, he could have killed V in both games. Most dubious in FU2, but fairly obvious in FU.

17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    For me at least, it isn't just about Vader. It is just that if the Jedi were half as powerful as they were depicted in this source (yes, not just Rhett, but every jedi you meet), then the Clone Trooper could never have killed them all. Heck, it even ruins its own story: what is the big deal about founding the rebel alliance is Vader could personally curbstomp the whole movement.

18. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    That's true about him possibly being a clone after being impaled and tossed out the ship's viewport. I really wish that the third game hadn't been canceled. We need to get the answers to questions like this and find out what happened after Vader got captured.

19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Anybody have the sales numbers from the second game? How many units were sold the first time, seven million? If the second game did HALF of that, I'd be shocked. The third game hasn't been O-fficially canceled, but it hasn't been green-lighted either.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    LucasArts have gone pretty quiet in general lately. Much like BioWare. Both of them seem to be reluctant to say anything about their future line-up other than plugging TOR currently. Who knows what they've both got planned for 2012? Their design teams obviously are doing something.

21. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I have a feeling TFUII bombed. Once the awful reviews got out, there's no way it sold well.

Honestly, I don't want a third game. I certainly want the end of the story, in either novel or comic form, but I'm not shelling out another wad of cash for a short, glitchy game with a half-baked story.

22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    The sad thing is how these days a game sometimes isn't much more than a hardback. :rolleyes:

23. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Looking here, that just may have been the case.

24. DarthMRN

DarthMRN Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2007
    According to that site, FU2 still sold more than either KotOR game in world total, closing in on their combined sales even.

[face_laugh] :_|

And those games have had a lot more time to get bought by slowpokes or sale-buyers (like me) than FU2 has. Deplorable that the power of the console is thus. Where is the incentive to make quality?

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    [DarthMRN

Dunno if I agree that getting beaten by those guys is enough not to be overpowered. He is about as unleashed as the rest of the Jedi in the franchise, what with blowing up that entire control room they fight in so it falls down, and blind-fighting for what, five days straight, in the arena in FU2. Not top gun level, sure, but I'd say that's fairly overpowered for a no-name Jedi Master.

That's true; he does lose every fight he's in through the series, though :)

Not at all, EGttF says possible. I just lack any confirmation that Vader or Palp knew how to do it, though the power of Palp himself does lend itself to such a hypothesis. That remains my desired retcon for Galen as well, unless TCW's Son can be brought into it in some way.

I'd be surprised if Palpatine didn't have at least a rudimentary understanding of the process, no matter how secretive Plagueis might have been. Whether he would teach Vader would be questionable, though I also wouldn't be surprised if Vader was resourceful enough to learn it on his own, at least at some level.

Maybe not Palp's equal, but until we have retcons saying otherwise, he could have killed V in both games. Most dubious in FU2, but fairly obvious in FU.

To be honest, that comment was a bit intentionally politically correct, because I know how much a sore topic Starkiller vs Vader is on this board. I do believe that Starkiller was in control of the fight in the first game; I attribute to the victory to a lot of different factors, from overconfidence on Vader's part, to a "one with the force" moment on Galen's part, like with Depa Billada. At his end, he even seemed to be able to hold off Palpatine, although he was unable to kill him.

However, I personally got the impression that Vader was at least in some part in control of the fight in TFUII, and either intentionally lost the fight, or went into the fight knowing that he would lose. It's worth noting that Vader cannot be killed in TFUII, regardless of the player choice. My personal interpretation was that the fight was more balanced because Vader had Galen beaten psychologically, or perhaps Galen doesn't have the sense of purpose he had in the first game (seems like force users can quickly gain power in order to accomplish certain deeds... in other words, when the plot demands it).

Well, TFU isn't the only source, or even video game, that depicts Vader as ridiculously powerful. In Empire at War, Vader worth probably ten units of Rebels by himself.

In my experience, the average video game player doesn't read reviews at all, but I'm really not sure. I don't doubt it sold much worse, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.