main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Force Unleashed: The Multimedia EU Event of '08 (and beyond!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Tearing Rancors up from the inside out doesn't necessarily sound like a Force power. Sounds to me like you have to let them eat you.

The cannon shot thing just means you're Force pushing with intent to maim.

And the stronger than Palpatine and Vader thing sounds like classic journalistic misunderstanding/overstatement/falsehood. This happens all the time with reporting on SW, no?
    Exactly. Retcon probably not even necessary, as it's probably not true.
    I would love it if the final mission of the game is playing as Vader, who realizes what a big mistake he's made and has to go off and kill (what had until now been) the player-character.

I love the fact that you're dark, in this game. Then again, I'm wondering if that means you don't get to fight those lightsaber guards...

2. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Or the inclusion of the lightsaber guards might indicate you eventually turn to the light side, paving the way for the Vader-killing-you scenario...

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    True that. I'd prefer not, though. Maybe those lightsaber guards are friends of the player character, and Vader has to mow through them.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I agree, my friend.

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Yes, I know.

6. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    If this character is really a Sith apprentice of Vader, and not just a Dark Jedi minion, then could one of those new Sith names that were given in Leland Chee´s blog belong to this character?[face_thinking] Considering the nature of the game, Darth Karnage would seem to describe this character well...[face_plain]

7. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    Another Star Wars multimedia event sounds awesome. I'll cough up as much money as they want me too....as long as it doesn't suck.

8. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Since Lucas generally spins around on his chair going "Two Sith, Two Sith, Red Sith, Blue Sith" or whatever, I think that might be innacurate. If this new guy is trained as a Sith...well...that's just plain annoying. Why couldn't you just play as Tremayne!?!

Also, who wants to start estimating the number of EU references in the game. I say: 0.

9. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Why couldn't you just play as Tremayne!?!

Because this supposed über-Sith one plays apparently exits the stage - through death, possibly - before ANH. The Jedi hunting would be ok with Tremayne, but the speculated plot of the main character being a pawn which Vader uses against Palpatine in an attempt to take him down does not fit with the story of Tremayne.

Also, who wants to start estimating the number of EU references in the game. I say: 0.

If Shaak Ti is on Dathomir with those rancors as has been claimed, then that already makes one EU reference...

10. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Pretty much it, yeah.

Although the first patch will have the player shooting first.

11. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I wonder how long it is until someone suggests that Vader's apprentice is called Darth Krayt... :p

[face_whistling]

Overall, my first reaction was, "Well, it looks cool..." - but while the somewhat steroid-pumped and "sexy" aesthetic they seem to be going for does grab the attention, I think it needs to be allied to a certain discipline in the way the overall product is put together. If it's not, it could be in danger of being a little too bland and cartoonish - just like the Prequels.

"Tarkin... with a gun!" is funny because it plays against the on-screen style of the character; but if the style extends from visuals to storytelling rhythm, the incongruities might be rather too much...

Don't get me wrong - this could work, and it could work well. The trouble is, we don't know much yet about the elements of the "event" that will decide whether it really has what it takes.

If these emphatically kinetic visuals are all there is to Force Unleashed, it could just be nasty, loud and ugly...

But then again, what do I know? [face_thinking]

- The Imperial Ewok

12. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of...

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    The latter would explain the former. [face_plain]

14. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Why go with a descendant of Revan when you can get the real deal - after all, we do not know what happened to him...8-}

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm so waiting to hear that Revan died of colon cancer in the Unknown Regions. It'd make him seem more human, somehow. Though it be tough to laugh at without sounding like a total jerk. :p

Anyhow, Luke_Sparkewalker over in games has scanned some of the Game Informer article. Text is hard to make out, but the pictures are nice. Shaak Ti (specifically named) seems to have let her standards of dress get a bit lax since the last time we saw her, though she's not as topless as she was in AotC concept art...

"This game is about kicking someone's ass with the Force." - Hayden Blackman

Thanks Hayden. :oops:

16. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Still no word on a PC version, though? :(

17. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Ugh, Hayden's doing this one? Now I'm officially scared.

And I so want that to happen to Revan.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I third colon-cancered Revan! I thought that was what happened to Boba for a while but... oh well.

Reguardless this game looks cool. I have no problems with it yet, except that I don't want to see Shaak Ti portrayed as a skank like Silri.

Looks like you guys were right about the blond Imp being Juno. Maris Brood is the Zebrak. I can't quite make out the Samari's name... is it General Kolto? He has the Rebellion symbol on his pauldron.

19. JEDI-KILLER_17

JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    So you'd rather shell out a thousand for a pc that can run it? o_O

20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    No, no! The skankier the better! After having visions of her self being killed that never came to pass, Shaak Ti has now gone thoroughly insane... and gone "native." Heck, if she doesn't attempt to seduce the player character, I will be very disappointed.

8-}

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    As opposed to buying what amounts to a fancy CD/DVD drive that hooks up to the television? Yeah, I think I'd rather go for the PC, though I'm not going to be buying this game in any case.[face_thinking]

22. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I think we all will be...

23. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    My hopes for this have gone downhill in a car without brakes, however i'll hold out hope a while longer yet, details are still sketchy afteral. Still i get the feeling this could be a big disapointment - the fact it isn't coming to the PC (which has proven a much more popular platform for these sorts of games in the past see: Jedi Knight series) is one major disapointment already, although as someone pointed out it would require a powerful pc to run anyway.

One thing missing from details currently is any hint of non-linear gameplay, choice, or customisation. That can't be good.. Even the characters name is locked in this time i see, while that saves us from having an important character known only as 'The Exile' in canon, its still a tad irritating you won't be able to name the protagonist at all.

24. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Customization does not a good game make. You can dye your hair whatever color you want, but if you've got lice nobody's still going to want to touch it.

25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Jedi Academy allowed customization, yet Jedi Outcast is a far superior game.

If they have good gameplay and a good story, it will all work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.